Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If u r reeding this Mr. Del Torrow
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 3:48am

Post #26 of 47 (209 views)
Shortcut
TP - it's good to have you back!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas, it appears neither your fame nor your legend has endured.

Newbies, that is, all you post-ROTK TORNadoes and not us ancients from the First Age...listen up:

My dears, TP is pulling your collective legs - none too gently.Wink

Please relax and decompress now. You will get used to it. I'm quite sure.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 28 2008, 3:54am

Post #27 of 47 (213 views)
Shortcut
only one person misinterpreted the intent [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to give a shout out for people to relax and decompress and start classifying First Agers vs Newbies. There are lots of people in between and I don't know that we need a bunch of in jokes that only the First Agers will get anyhow. For the one person who didn't 'get it', it was their fourth post here. Not a great welcome to point out they can't get the jokes because they haven't been here long enough.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 28 2008, 3:57am)

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 4:00am

Post #28 of 47 (193 views)
Shortcut
Re/ [In reply to] Can't Post

"Can't I say 'take it easy' without starting a panic?"

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 4:31am

Post #29 of 47 (192 views)
Shortcut
So sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that you didn't receive the post in the light hearted, facetious yet kindly manner in which it was intended.

Seniority doesn't count for much anyway, no hierarchy was implied, so verily, the post failed utterly. My irony meter must be all out of whack.

And TP can take care of himself Wink

So I will bow to your chastisement and fade away from this thread .

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 28 2008, 4:45am

Post #30 of 47 (180 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree greendragon [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, TP is being silly (as is his wont), but as Silverlode (and you) basically said, TORn isn't going to become a place for random suggestions, questions or demands directed to GDT alone. As you said, he requested that we not go there, so that's one important reason we're not going to go there. But, more importantly, we're not going to go there because this is still a discussion board for all things Tolkien, LOTR, Hobbit, etc. and posts made here should be directed to all users and encourage discussion by all users. So, in the very near future we're going to start deleting (or at least editing) posts directed to GDT exclusively (even those in jest) as well as posts made only to point out that GDT has posted again.

As an alternative, we WILL provide many Q&A opportunities over the course of the production as outlets for specific questions, plus GDT may choose to answer some questions during his visits to the boards. But, we're going to leave that completely at his discretion and not pressure or harass the man in any way.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 28 2008, 6:31pm)

mwirkk
Rohan

Apr 28 2008, 6:33am

Post #31 of 47 (193 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back Snidley "TP" Whiplash. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was something like that, based on the reception TP was getting right off. I'll admit I didn't do my due diligence, though, by checking the old TORn board archives first -- call me lazy. :) I can't speak for anyone else, but I take no offense to anyone with a coherent argument that they're willing to stand up and fight for, regardless (amlost;) of their position. But then, while I may be a new signup here, it seems like I've been lurking here since before forever (FotR anyway. Is that possible? When did TORn get started?), so I don't feel like a newb. Also, I can be a bit of a jerk sometimes when I get up on my soapbox; I've been using boards so long (since early 80's) I forget sometimes what it's like for others. Just give my the proverbial swift-kick if it ever happens! <8P

TP, sorry I didn't recognize and welcome you right away myself. Your M.O. was ringing some bells, but no positive match on the ole' mental fingerprint DB.

-mwirkk :)

mwirkk
Rohan

Apr 28 2008, 7:49am

Post #32 of 47 (201 views)
Shortcut
April '99 => TORn?... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Is that about when TORN started? If so, that'd men a 10yr is just a year away? Anyway, if 4/99 is about right, I prob'ly would've been too busy w/preps for FinnFestUSA'99 (in Seattle) to notice...but it does jive with my memory of discovering TORN later on, but well before FotR was in the can. Excuse my blabbering, just got a case of the midnight chattys... :)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2008, 9:36am

Post #33 of 47 (156 views)
Shortcut
That's right [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have to think of something else to bombard him with.

I'll work on it. ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2008, 9:38am

Post #34 of 47 (176 views)
Shortcut
Philip from Tampa [In reply to] Can't Post

*flying-tackle hug!* Crypz itz grt 2 c u!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2008, 1:47pm

Post #35 of 47 (143 views)
Shortcut
You should talk, Ms. Bring-on-the-shield-surfing-Elves!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2008, 1:59pm

Post #36 of 47 (137 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was Dick Dastardly./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 28 2008, 2:00pm

Post #37 of 47 (159 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

admittedly I'm not a fan of facetiousness anyhow. But humor is hard to perceive online and it's even harder when we don't know each other. I got Tampa Phi's humor (once I thought to look at the poster's name) because I know something about him. I don't know if I know how to perceive your humor yet. And the other couple dozen times someone's said 'lighten up' in a post (on other boards), they usually weren't being affectionately humorous. I also think some humor only works with your closest friends. I have a sarcastic sense of humor. I have to remember that someone needs to know me very well to not take sarcastic humor wrong. And they really need to be able to read my body language/facial expressions to 'get' that I'm going for sarcasm. That doesn't come off well online and more than once I've gone back and deleted something I didn't think worked in a post.

You may be a first ager and I may not. But I have grown to love the TORn I know now. It shakes things up when new people or returning first agers join in and I (and others) don't know how to read their intent. I will do my best to let the getting-to-know-you process take place. I suspect when we are more comfortable with each other, we'll start to see intentions of humor.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 28 2008, 4:31pm

Post #38 of 47 (139 views)
Shortcut
wait for it [In reply to] Can't Post

TP's ability to be serious

On occasion he treats us to spittle-flying rants. Beautifully written with excellent spelling & grammar, but the hair tends to blow back from one's face as one reads them.

"The person who strives for security will never be free. The person who believes that she's found security will never reach paradise."
- Tom Robbins

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

mwirkk
Rohan

Apr 28 2008, 5:14pm

Post #39 of 47 (149 views)
Shortcut
DOH!!!... [In reply to] Can't Post

...LRon, you're right!!! I forgot all about Dick Dastardly (and Muttly). :)

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 6:06pm

Post #40 of 47 (133 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
admittedly I'm not a fan of facetiousness anyhow.

Why not?

Did you know it's one of only two words in the entire language with all the vowels in the right order?

It's worthy of your fandom.

TP.

(This post was edited by Tampa Phil on Apr 28 2008, 6:08pm)

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 6:09pm

Post #41 of 47 (122 views)
Shortcut

This TP person sounds disturbingly bi-polar.

TP.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2008, 8:32pm

Post #42 of 47 (117 views)
Shortcut
ooooh, cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

what's the other one?

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 28 2008, 9:40pm

Post #43 of 47 (106 views)
Shortcut
I love the things I learn on this board [In reply to] Can't Post

she said facetiously.

"The person who strives for security will never be free. The person who believes that she's found security will never reach paradise."
- Tom Robbins

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 28 2008, 9:59pm

Post #44 of 47 (108 views)
Shortcut
please don't resent it [In reply to] Can't Post

when we oldtimers sometimes talk among ourselves. As Gandalf says, it's a habit of the old, not deliberate rudeness. For me part of the enjoying of this board comes when I cast my memory back to the Elder Days with those who were there too - rather like recalling one's youth. It's not meant to exclude, but rather to celebrate the long rich history of TORN.

Or you could just think of us as the boring old people sitting in the corner going on and on about ancient history. Hopefully not drooling while we do it . . . but no guarantees if it's Sean Bean under discussion.

- Tom Robbins

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Apr 29 2008, 2:38am

Post #45 of 47 (95 views)
Shortcut

I imagine not knowing the answer could really eat away at a person.

It would probably be quite maddening.

TP.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2008, 3:37am

Post #46 of 47 (77 views)
Shortcut
oh, never mind [In reply to] Can't Post

I decided that you were probably going to give an answer like that, so I took the liberty of looking it up

abstemious (hah...it'll save others from the madness)

Smile

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Apr 29 2008, 3:47am

Post #47 of 47 (107 views)
Shortcut
Such indecent absence of restraint [In reply to] Can't Post

There ought to be a word for it.

TP.

(This post was edited by Tampa Phil on Apr 29 2008, 3:48am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.