Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who will play Bilbo!?!?!?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 27 2008, 9:17pm

Post #26 of 37 (129 views)
Shortcut
*shudders* [In reply to] Can't Post

I know precisely what you mean !

' DON'T YOU ALL HAVE STUDYING TO DO?' ... *sigh* SO not Dumbledore...

I agree with others, Gandalf and Saruman are timeless...Bilbo is not. Martin Freeman was so good in " Love Actually " as John. He has little gestures that will make him a delightful Bilbo. I've never watched even one episode of The Office so it will not ruin it for me. I rarely, if ever, watch programmed TV.

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 3:55am

Post #27 of 37 (121 views)
Shortcut
I quite like the idea of Freeman. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's very underrated as an actor IMO.

And I've also floated Tom Hollander, another favorite actor (though I'm not a Pirates fan). TH is actually a fine classical actor.

I'm sure there are other good candidates about.

I've adored Ian Holm for 30 years...he is one of our great actors. But at seventy something he really is too old for the journey Bilbo makes in The Hobbit. Remember, he's be 10 years older than he was making LOTR. And the physical demands necessitate someone younger, I think.

But Holm for narrator for certain.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 28 2008, 6:04am

Post #28 of 37 (113 views)
Shortcut
The donation idea is fab [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll sign up. We could call it 'TORn gives Back'.

meltsar
The Shire

Apr 29 2008, 12:29am

Post #29 of 37 (98 views)
Shortcut
Ian and Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I see it is that, if Ian Holm would like to play this role, then he is the only one who should. Surely, if need be, his age can be 'fudged' a little using makeup, cg, whatever. I have seen the names of other, younger actors, being mentioned ~ I have to admit that I don't know much about any of them, but, personally, I would rather have an actor who embodies the character (as Ian does!), but who may 'not look exactly the age' ~ rather than an actor who 'looks the age', but doesn't embody the role like Ian does. Whatever happens, I'm sure that these expert film-makers will make the right choice. (I'm sure they've thought of a few things that we haven't yet!)...
I feel that I must add ~ when I saw 'Fellowship' for the first time, I had tears in my eyes when Ian Holm came on screen as Bilbo ~ he simply 'was' Bilbo Baggins!!

marlonbrando76
The Shire

Apr 29 2008, 9:22am

Post #30 of 37 (138 views)
Shortcut
i hope Holm will be Bilbo! make up, body double, cgi, can help it...but...Del Toro said: [In reply to] Can't Post

MTV: Will Ian Holm return as Bilbo?
Del Toro: [Holm] certainly is the paragon we aspire to. He will be involved in some manner, I'm sure. But at his age ... it's too early to tell. We are just in the early stages. It's too early to make commitments of that sort. We prefer to let the screenplay and the way the character comes to life guide us in the casting. I have many people in mind. Anything [else] I say will be used against me in a court of law. [Laughs.]

Sunnydale_Strider

Apr 29 2008, 10:36am

Post #31 of 37 (97 views)
Shortcut
there you go... [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the talk of who will be on board and who will direct it i felt this question had fallen behind but it's not an answer as such but it's what i expected. if they can use him they will but it may not be him. we'll see. i'm excited about them doing the sauron driven from mirkwood i hoped they'd use that bit too woo. can't wait! there's been some good info coming out last couple weeks. i hope there's that much dribbling out from the middle earth crew all the way until it's released then i'll cope!

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 29 2008, 1:22pm

Post #32 of 37 (92 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman for Bilbo; Ian Holm for Master of Lake-town./ [In reply to] Can't Post

meltsar
The Shire

Apr 29 2008, 4:32pm

Post #33 of 37 (73 views)
Shortcut
MTV interview [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that pointing that out! Just read that interview! Everything sounds good to me so far!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29 2008, 4:53pm

Post #34 of 37 (77 views)
Shortcut
*eyebrows shoot up* Now THERE'S an interesting idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd dearly love to have Bilbo hobbits, but I'd be satisfied with his narration sans screentime, but show up later as the political of Lake-town. Fascinating idea!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

ItalianVillain

May 3 2008, 6:20am

Post #35 of 37 (43 views)
Shortcut
CGI, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr Thau please, create in CGI Saruman rules Middle Earth scene. The scale of the prequel grows up only with this scene.

Mr Thau, try to do it. Please.

Mneth

May 3 2008, 6:52am

Post #36 of 37 (44 views)
Shortcut
PD for Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm repeating myself from another thread now, but I always thougt Patrik Dempsey would be a perfect Bilbo. Hes a great actor (no, I have not seen Grays Anatomy) and with his curly hair and curious energy he would be great as Bilbo..

Scout
Rivendell

May 3 2008, 1:40pm

Post #37 of 37 (90 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Freeman for Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since the idea was posted, I've become married to it. I can really see Freeman as Bilbo more than anyone else I can think of.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.