Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does GDT even like Tolkien?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27 2008, 12:29am

Post #26 of 35 (97 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that's right. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ read it as a teen and kept waiting for someone to make the film, and finally he and Fran came around the point of, 'Why don't we make it ourselves?'

I think PJ's first love is King Kong, but he has long been a huge fan of LOTR.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2008, 12:54am

Post #27 of 35 (65 views)
Shortcut
Thanks NEB... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll add it to my running files and bookmarks!

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2008, 1:00am

Post #28 of 35 (62 views)
Shortcut
thanks... are you sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the corret link?

The link leads me to ...

"CM/ECF Filer or PACER Login
Notice -- This is a Restricted Web Site for Official Court Business only."

https://ecf.ilnd.uscourts.gov/...93&caseid=211258

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Glaurung63
Lorien

Apr 27 2008, 1:37am

Post #29 of 35 (62 views)
Shortcut
Lovin' it [In reply to] Can't Post

I too have not been around here in years, and I remember when few thought PJ could do LOTR justice....who was HE to take on LOTR??!!

Imagine if you will, if a fan who only loved LOTR for the barrow wights filmed it....or a director in love with Galadriel....what results would we have?? Things can go either way....or many ways....but Tolkien's story is the key....

Remember, I read that Ian McKellen was reading LOTR and learning about Gandalf, and look what happened....Sean Connery was an original fan idea that was discussed online here....

Remember how Viggo was chosen for Aragorn, and how he read LOTR on the flight to NZ....and look what happened...

So, remember that brilliant things can happen, and that the movie will be made, as several months ago it was not likely to happen.....mmmm...smell the green grass of Hobbiton....

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 27 2008, 1:40am

Post #30 of 35 (60 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, here's the correct link to the podcast interview: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://feeds.salon.com/~r/salon/podcast/conversations/~5/36543445/conversations_toro

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 27 2008, 3:16am

Post #31 of 35 (58 views)
Shortcut
Thank you N.E.B. i had missed that. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a most amazing man and a telling of a man's heart. My fears are dispelled and my heart is very much warmed. THIS is going to be a most beautiful time with the team we now have bringing to life, TO LIFE!, all of Middle-earth again,..in the most right and heartfelt way.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2008, 3:29am

Post #32 of 35 (50 views)
Shortcut
Thanks // [In reply to] Can't Post

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2008, 3:37am

Post #33 of 35 (59 views)
Shortcut
same with Andy [In reply to] Can't Post

He was told by his agent that it was an animated character... just a few days work... read the book on teh flight over and thought he struck gold... that Gollum was the best character in it... A whole techology was invented because of his ability and the depth he brought to that character.

Film is indeed a colaborative event...

Got to go , my ride is on the way... going to a party with my Tolkien friends.

Voorhas
Lorien

Apr 27 2008, 8:11pm

Post #34 of 35 (54 views)
Shortcut
Speaking Personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I would have given virtually the same answer off-the-cuff as GDT did, a few years ago. And here I am today.

I think one's likes and dislikes in media (literature, film, music, art) are a lot more mutable and fluid than people admit. Many's the time that I've been dismissive about Book X or Movie Y or Band Z, only to enthusiastically embrace it later.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 28 2008, 12:22am

Post #35 of 35 (74 views)
Shortcut
What if perhaps seeing the movies changed his mind? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you Gramma. And I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned or thought of this, but a whole lot of us were never able to 'get into' LOTR when we first tried to read the books, way back - but seeing the films was what changed many people's minds completely. The films made me re-discover the books, appreciate them -- all of them, I wanted to read everything I could get my hands on. GDT didn't mention that happening to him, but, it sounds similar, and who knows, maybe he doesn't want to sound like he's "falling all over" PJ, or maybe he feels that saying the films influenced his change of mind, would raise a lot of red flags among Tolkien purists who did not like the films.

So I do wonder if seeing the trilogy influenced his opinion.

I have high hopes for the upcoming films. PJ and company and Howard Shore will all be there, many of the sets will be the same, many of the same actors, it'll be filmed in the same beautiful places, and best of all, there is again no Hollywood involved, at least not much. That was one of the key factors in making the trilogy as special as it was. GDT is an excellent director and given that same freedom, all the way over there in NZ... I'm sure his vision will bring about just as wonderful a result.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.