Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Epic Film?

Solos
The Shire

Apr 25 2008, 7:07pm

Post #1 of 18 (418 views)
Shortcut
Epic Film? Can't Post

So, I'm extremely excited to hear the Guillermo is directing and that Ian and Andy are reprising their roles. But, what of the films themselves. The previous films were epic, in that they were all over 3 hours long and focussed on character development. Other films based on novels have been cut to under 2 hours, and most don't work. Eragon, for example was cut down. It lost the character development and truly lost the soul of the film.

So....My question is, can we expect 3 hour epics out of the upcoming films???

merklynn
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 7:18pm

Post #2 of 18 (199 views)
Shortcut
Expect long movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say, yes. Yes we can expect the same freedoms because PJ wouldn't be involved if he couldn't get what he felt was needed from the studios, and lately he makes LONG movies. So if GDT and PJ are in conjunction, which I expect they have to be to have gotten this far, then del Toro should be able to flesh these plots out in a lot of detail.

I just want to know what the heck the sprequel's story is going to be, if it isn't going to be a collection of events following various characters across a 60 year time period. I'm dying to know what everyone's idea is.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 7:20pm

Post #3 of 18 (180 views)
Shortcut
Definitly . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . afterall, this is the LOTR series. Everyone's expecting a 3 hour (minimum) movie. It'll be long for sure. Smile

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

I'm hosting THE URUK-HAI in The Reading Room! Swing by and join in!

labadal
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 7:57pm

Post #4 of 18 (156 views)
Shortcut
it must be epic! [In reply to] Can't Post

If these Hobbit films turn out to be a flop like Eragon and totally untrue to the book I will be so disappointed. i think I'd cry! i think GDT will do a good job and try and get the Tolkien theme in it.

PJ should keep it epic, he did do LOTR after all and he is working on the Hobbit.

Take what you can, give nothing back!

Deni
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 8:27pm

Post #5 of 18 (164 views)
Shortcut
EPIC!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don“t think that these hobbit films are going to be a flop!!!!!!!!"-I can“t believe it and I don“t want to believe it!!!!!!"
I think, they will be like the lotr films...I hope that every character development (especially Thorin) are going to be a success..Sly Smile
In my opinion HOBBIT is gonna be like lotr ...and not like a "movie for children"...
It“s a serious but wonderful story and it must be epic...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HeartShockedSmile

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 18 (137 views)
Shortcut
They will surely be LONG [In reply to] Can't Post

...and they will be further expanded in extended editions, that's for sure.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

mwirkk
Rohan

Apr 25 2008, 11:07pm

Post #7 of 18 (121 views)
Shortcut
Fear not! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll be fine. It's in proven hands. Besides, they haven't even started production yet. No time for being like 'Glum', in the Gulliver's Travels cartoon, saying "It'll never work!" and "We're doomed!" >8P

Like the old man said to the Dead Collector, "I'm happy!" Happy happy, joy joy, happy happy, joy joy... :)

-mwirkk :)

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 11:10pm

Post #8 of 18 (115 views)
Shortcut
It depends on how generous Warner Brothers is. [In reply to] Can't Post

And beleive me, this question has been running through my mind all this past week. It's my #1 question.

NL is making the films but how much power does Warner's have with fnal cut, if they are distributing them? What I mean is, if they are NL's corporate overseer, they may want to (being in a cutthroat mentality aobut money these days) want to squeeze as many showings a day as possible out of the films, so they'll make them be cut down to 2:20 or something (with the mentality, "The fans are going to get EE' anyway; what are they yelling about?"

Look what they are doing with Harry Potter 7. Fans rejoice that HP7 is being split into 2 films; but believe me, there is as much material in Deathly Hallows as there is in ROTK (And I mean the BOOK ROTK. it's that dense and convoluted, and EVRYTHING is important) . What are they doing with HP7? It is going to be 2 TWO-HOUR films. Which IMO is even worse. A 2-hr long film with such dense material, the first half of HP7, is NOT a complete or satisfying film in the artisitc sense. You have to cut too much out and end it on an awkward note. In order for a film to flow smoothly, you have to allow each one to "stretch out and breathe". GWTW is 4 hrs long and if you have read the book, you will know that as good as the film is, the drastic cuts they had to make in it makes it suffer artistically. (No time here to go into details, but I will late ron if you want)

I think TORN needs to draft an opne letter on the Home Page to Warner's and N,>.we KNOW Del Tor will not be the problem.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2008, 1:22am

Post #9 of 18 (106 views)
Shortcut
I'd say, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that it will ultimately depend upon the film company's support, but I think they'll be the first to realize that the success of LotR was because the story was allowed to be told as completely as possible. There are rl limitations to theatrical releases, but I think the neighbourhood of 3 hours isn't out of the question. We're talking about epic storytellers here ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 26 2008, 4:14am

Post #10 of 18 (87 views)
Shortcut
It should be no shorter or longer than it needs to be. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Apr. 21-27 for "The Uruk-hai".

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 26 2008, 4:54am

Post #11 of 18 (101 views)
Shortcut
You've said the one true thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever it takes to tell the story, be it 2 hours and 40 mintues or 3 hours and 5 minutes. Due to technical considerations and theater bookings, I doubt the theatrical versions will be much over 3 hours max. But you should have all the character development you desire whatever the run time- it's one of GDT's strong points.

Why do y'all think the negotiations took so long to get GDT signed on the dotted line? This is not a guy who's going to spend 4 years on a project to be dictated to by a studio. He's not pouring himself into the project only to lose creative contro at the end. He's been that route, and he's taken great care since to be sure he never gets in that position again. He has enough stature in the business now not to have to kowtow to studios.The same for PJ - no way after the success of LOTR that PJ is going to be tied to something hard and fast. There is already the precedent of the three hour LOTRs series.

IOf all the things to be concerned about, this ranks pretty low. The HP films are another kettle of fish altogether.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Apr 27 2008, 1:45am

Post #12 of 18 (56 views)
Shortcut
Remember who is working on this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have some faith, my friend!!! Look who is involved!!!! Do you doubt the same people who brought you LOTR??? Just because a new, incredibly talented director, that Peter probably picked, is on board??? Peter, the guy who brought us three hour movies and longer DVD's.....like he'll tell Guillermo to edit things down to 1.5 hours??? "We need to shorten the riddles in the dark, and the battle of five armies is way too long".....lol....I just don't think so....and Hobbiton, Rivendell, and Mirkwood will be amazing!

Radagast68

Apr 27 2008, 3:51am

Post #13 of 18 (56 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood will be awesome, I hope Bilbo gets to sing "old Tomnoddy" while he does the stinging!! Muahaha

I have an unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Deni
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 1:01pm

Post #14 of 18 (52 views)
Shortcut
hellow again^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah!! you“re right!!!!!!!!
and I`m so happy..I can“t wait to watch them...CoolWinkSmile
but I“ve got a question...
does anybody know if howard shore is going to write the music for these films???
EvilHeart

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2008, 4:24pm

Post #15 of 18 (51 views)
Shortcut
yes, Deni [In reply to] Can't Post

and I know you're new here, so welcome to TORn.

Now ... try using the "Search Posts" function to check a question before posting it.
Some questions have been asked many times in the last four months.

That way you will have more time to share your own thoughts and opinions instead of only questions and answers.

Thanks!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Deni
Rivendell

Apr 29 2008, 11:07am

Post #16 of 18 (41 views)
Shortcut
hi ElanorTX ^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

huh...thank you for the response^^
yes...I“m new here and I`m trying to talk better ...MY ENGLISH SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShockedShockedShocked

illuvatar

Apr 29 2008, 8:15pm

Post #17 of 18 (34 views)
Shortcut
THE EPIC CHARACTER [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem is, that The Hobbit is often childish and too light, particularely at its begenning, ACCORDING TO PR. TOLKIEN HIMSELM; so, before the epic character, we must hope that GDT will purify the text of its defects.

Solos
The Shire

Apr 30 2008, 10:17pm

Post #18 of 18 (61 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.