Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
ARRGH! I just lost a very long post.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 12 2007, 6:12pm

Post #1 of 15 (235 views)
Shortcut
ARRGH! I just lost a very long post. Can't Post

When I tried to post it my computer dropped the connection with the website, and when I hit the back button I got this message: "Warning: Page has Expired." I couldn't save the post while I drafted it, unless there is a save function I am missing. How can I avoid losing long posts in the future?

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 12 2007, 6:37pm

Post #2 of 15 (133 views)
Shortcut
I've been known... [In reply to] Can't Post

during periods of paranoia... to do a lot of Control A - Control C. Then I can paste the text in a new reply window or in a word processing program while I get things sorted out.

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 12 2007, 7:07pm

Post #3 of 15 (118 views)
Shortcut
did you refresh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. Did you get the regular Windows/IE message that appears when you click the "back" button and go to a page that wasn't permanent? If so, and you click your "refresh" button, it should reappear.

Speaking from personal experience...

Smile

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 12 2007, 7:10pm

Post #4 of 15 (105 views)
Shortcut
It's happened to me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Once you lose the draft page, or navigate away from it, you can't go Back - the page is empty. I've started using Notepad again for long posts, or if I'm in the middle of a draft and then decide I'm worried about losing it, I'll copy it into Notepad at that point. It would be nice to have a way of saving drafts, or even just of having the drafts page not refresh itself (i.e. not go back to its blank original state) when you leave it temporarily.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 12 2007, 7:13pm

Post #5 of 15 (103 views)
Shortcut
I'll try that next time, although I also may start using Notepad for drafts ... [In reply to] Can't Post

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 12 2007, 7:14pm

Post #6 of 15 (110 views)
Shortcut
I just tried that [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't work if you navigate away from the drafts page. When you hit Back, the page is empty, and Refresh just makes it redraw the empty page. It might be different if it's a case of an interrupted network connection, I don't know.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 12 2007, 8:20pm

Post #7 of 15 (110 views)
Shortcut
A slightly shorter and more risky technique [In reply to] Can't Post

is to highlight what you've written from time to time and copy it. Then if you lose the connection, you can reopen the window and paste, and what you've copied should still be in your clipboard assuming that you haven't shut down the computer in the meantime. I do that with long posts.

*looks up* Oh, that's exactly what Magpie just said. Carry on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 12 2007, 8:22pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 12 2007, 8:34pm

Post #8 of 15 (103 views)
Shortcut
I do believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's just what I suggested :P

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 13 2007, 12:49am

Post #9 of 15 (80 views)
Shortcut
you're right, it didn't work [In reply to] Can't Post

I just tried it, with both a reply and a new post.

And yet, I was able to do it recently when I got the "Windows Error Message" (I use the term loosely) the "notice" that I had to refresh...it must have been a computer glitch and nothing to do with Torn...

Sorry for misleading info! But I'll just say that if you lose it by some "glitch" and get that standard "need to refresh" message when you click on "back", it should work. It did for me.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2007, 4:49am

Post #10 of 15 (80 views)
Shortcut
Awwwww.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we miss the old "save" and "reload" functions? I know I do.

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 13 2007, 12:22pm

Post #11 of 15 (78 views)
Shortcut
I got in the habit [In reply to] Can't Post

a long time ago of working on lengthy posts in Notepad. The Save feature on old TORn was nice, but the box where you typed your message was so tiny that it was difficult to find the place you wanted to edit, if it was in the middle. I love that here we have the option of increasing the size of the message box (and I've made mine fairly huge). But I find that I'm still frequently resorting to Notepad, partly because I find it easier that way to refer back to multiple posts in the thread while writing.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 13 2007, 3:45pm

Post #12 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
And you said it better than I did too :-) {nt} [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 12:24am

Post #13 of 15 (71 views)
Shortcut
For some reason, I never felt the need [In reply to] Can't Post

to compose messages in any other program. I agree, the small box was annoying; the ability to have a larger box is one of the few things I like better about the new boards. What I usually did with long posts was to preview without spellcheck before posting, in order to see more of the post at once. I think the only time I ever composed anything outside the box was when I was hosting a discussion and created an html page in Dreamweaver.

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 2:49am

Post #14 of 15 (97 views)
Shortcut
I used to use Preview w/o Spellcheck [In reply to] Can't Post

all the time, much more often than Save. But then if I saw something in the middle of a long post that needed changing, I had to scroll up & down trying to find the place in that tiny box. Plus I could no longer see the post I was replying to, unless I'd Quoted it or had it open in another window.

I suppose I wouldn't often bring up another program just to reply to a post; my replies don't tend to be as long as Curious's. But anytime I've led any kind of discussion, I've composed in Notepad. Ditto for the cryptograms.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2007, 7:31am

Post #15 of 15 (114 views)
Shortcut
Don't know why, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I never had any trouble finding my place in a post I was composing, even with the small window. I like the larger window, but on the old boards, the small window was at worst a very minor annoyance. I also don't often feel the need to see the post I'm responding to once I've started composing my response. If I'm responding to a specific point (or a quiz or series of questions), I copy and paste them before I start writing. If I do feel the need to refer back to the original post, I open a new tab, rather than a window, and use the history menu to go the post. I actually find this more convenient than scrolling and still use that method on the new boards.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.