Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit sequel

badgermaniac

Apr 25 2008, 3:10am

Post #1 of 14 (643 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit sequel Can't Post

Went back a couple months and didn't see this discussed, though I can't imagine that it wasn't (so if there is another thread, please direct me).

Anyhow, what exactly will be covered in the sequel to the Hobbit? Will a lot of stuff need to be fabricated? Knowing Tolkien, I presume there is a lot of backstory in some appendix someplace that I am unfamiliar with.

So, what will be the basic storyline of the movie that comes AFTER The Hobbit?

_V_
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 3:11am

Post #2 of 14 (332 views)
Shortcut
somewhere you've never heard of [In reply to] Can't Post

in some appendix someplace that I am unfamiliar with.

the over 100 page long Appendix which is included at the end of every copy of "The Return of the King"?

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

badgermaniac

Apr 25 2008, 3:14am

Post #3 of 14 (277 views)
Shortcut
correct [In reply to] Can't Post

Correct...the appendix that is not terribly readable to many of the commonfolk fans...which is why I am asking here.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 3:20am

Post #4 of 14 (287 views)
Shortcut
It's been discussed. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to read our previous speculation on the topic, do a search for "bridge movie" and you should find what you're looking for.

But really, we just don't know anything. We're not even sure what background material is legal for them to use. The filmmakers have the rights to LOTR, but not to The Silmarillion or the History of Middle-earth (HOME) books, which is where much of the information about what happened in those "in between" years is found. We don't know how strict the Tolkien Estate is going to be on using details from those books to flesh out things listed in the Tale of Years Appendix to LOTR, for instance.

If they're able to use some of that material, there are several plot lines they could go with. Many of us would like to see the White Council, and perhaps more of Aragorn and Arwen's story. There could be more about the Lonely Mountain dwarves and Balin's move to Moria, or Gollum's wanderings.

If they're restricted to only what is mentioned in LOTR and its Appendices, then they may have to invent a lot of story elements, which would mean the second movie would be more of a fanfic than anything else.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's, until somebody drops us some hints.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 25 2008, 3:39am

Post #5 of 14 (253 views)
Shortcut
Not every copy [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not in my copy of "El Retorno Del Rey" They only included a small part of Appendix A, the part about Aragorn and Arwen. But you're right, it is pretty widely available ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 3:43am

Post #6 of 14 (273 views)
Shortcut
Also, check out this post [In reply to] Can't Post

A reply to a similar query on Main. Our "Search Posts" function (see Ring icon at the top of the page), is very robust. I searched on "Hobbit Sequel" and got over 200 results!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 25 2008, 3:49am

Post #7 of 14 (210 views)
Shortcut
Why am I thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

of the drinking game ? ;-)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

leo
Rohan

Apr 25 2008, 2:14pm

Post #8 of 14 (176 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to put my money on... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a Gandalf-centered story. If you are going to do a bridge-movie covering 50-or so years, you need at least one central character the audience can follow and relate to. It can only be Gandalf, he was very active in those days ;)

I guess maybe the movie will pick up with gandalf leaving Thorin and company to scare away Sauron from Mirkwood, and then continue on following him here and there. And then the movie should end with Gandalf riding his horse and wagon into Hobbiton. Gandalf was, to me, the most important character next to Frodo in LOTR and Bilbo in The Hobbit, it is only fair that he gets his own movie. So basically another journey movie, should be great fun!

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 2:20pm

Post #9 of 14 (180 views)
Shortcut
And in the German paperback edition [In reply to] Can't Post

it is the same, I think, or there are none at all; these were released in a separate book. (Or at least in the most popular edition - didn't check all these new prints with movie pictures on the cover that were released because of the movies, though I doubt they had the appendices). In the hardcover edition, however, the appendices are included.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

(This post was edited by Peredhil lover on Apr 25 2008, 2:22pm)

acheron
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 2:51pm

Post #10 of 14 (150 views)
Shortcut
even in English [In reply to] Can't Post

The first copy of LOTR I ever read was one that my dad picked up in England in the 70's; a one-volume paperback. It also only had "Aragorn & Arwen", and none of the other appendices.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 11:26pm

Post #11 of 14 (104 views)
Shortcut
*slides beer down the bar* [In reply to] Can't Post

I know we're not actually *in* the Fiesta bar, but who cares when another staffer returns to the boards?

Nice to see you here leo!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2008, 1:58am

Post #12 of 14 (109 views)
Shortcut
*slides bowl of pretzels behind beer* Way cool! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 26 2008, 4:13am

Post #13 of 14 (123 views)
Shortcut
Please re-think that! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Correct...the appendix that is not terribly readable to many of the commonfolk fans...which is why I am asking here.

Appendices A and B, at least, are marvelous!

A gives all the back-story about the Rohirrim and about the dwarves, the history of Gondor (how Osgiliath was lost, and why there is no king there), and (most people's favorite) the story of Aragorn and Arwen.

Appendix B gives some timelines, which are fascinating. In the books (TTT and RotK in particular) there are several plot threads running concurrently in time -- the timeline shows you what was happening when. You can see, for example, that while the hobbits are on their way to Bree, Gandalf is trying desperately to catch them. The night they spend at the Prancing Pony, Gandalf had reached Hobbiton and was visiting The Gaffer. Even more dramatically, when Frodo was captive in Cirith Ungol was the same time that Faramir was brought in wounded, Denethor looked in the Palantir and subsequently lost his mind. It seems probable that he saw Frodo in captivity, and assumed Sauron had the Ring, which drove him to suicidal despair.

I'll admit that some of the Appendices on language, calendars, etc., are heavy going, but Appendices A and B are terrific.

New grandson of Elizabeth, b. 2/25/2008

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2008, 4:15pm

Post #14 of 14 (107 views)
Shortcut
I like your Gandalf-centered plot!... [In reply to] Can't Post

as long as we have a lot of Aragorn-Arwen story too, and a lot of Galadriel as well, in the White Council and all...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.