The Uruk-Hai: Pippin's Cunning Escape
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 29 2008, 1:44pm

Post #26 of 29 (370 views)
Shortcut
isn't despair "complete loss of hope"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Pippin there is despairing, has lost all hope that he or anyone he loves or values is going to survive and is preparing himself for a brave death in battle ("I must do my best").

Courage for the sake of courage, in the face of certain death with no hope of an afterlife...isn't that one of the hallmarks of the brave pre-Christian warriors that Tolkien admired? To continue the fight against evil without any hope of winning, just because one needs to fight evil as long as one is drawing breath?

That kind of thing.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive.

But the Skin Horse only smiled.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 9:18am

Post #27 of 29 (269 views)
Shortcut
Nice analysis. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 16-22 for a free discussion on the entire book.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 9:19am

Post #28 of 29 (262 views)
Shortcut
Other way ’round: the bonds precede the brooch. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 16-22 for a free discussion on the entire book.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 10:02am

Post #29 of 29 (264 views)
Shortcut
Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

That doesn't change my point, though.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.