April 11-13 in Burlington, VT.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

visualweasel
Rohan

Apr 8 2008, 2:52pm

Post #26 of 36 (448 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien 2009 [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who like to plan an entire year in advance, the dates for next year's meeting are April 10-12, 2009. For next year's conference theme, it seems to be down to either "Art, Image, and Iconography in Tolkien's Middle-earth" or "Females and the Feminine in Middle-earth: Readings, Writings, and Interpretations." I can see the latter as an especially good topic for you, Modtheow. I don't know who'll be next year's guest of honor yet, but I'm hoping Chris will be able to announce it this weekend.

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 8 2008, 4:46pm

Post #27 of 36 (413 views)
Shortcut
yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

As of 12:40 PM my time today, my 2009 Planner for April says "Tolkien Conference, Univ. of Vermont" with a subheading of "meet nice folks from TORn".

Thanks for your reply which is an additional "nudge out of the door"...you know, those really help!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 8 2008, 4:47pm

Post #28 of 36 (438 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the exact dates... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and those topics look great, too. I'll start putting money in the cookie jar today..

Weaver

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 8 2008, 5:29pm

Post #29 of 36 (426 views)
Shortcut
wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Either one of those topics would be great for me right now! How do you know all this, visualweasel? Do you have a special contact on the organizing committee?

I'm so excited about the prospect of next year's conference that I've practically forgotten about this coming weekend -- but really, I should finish this year's paper first, don't you think? Crazy

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 8 2008, 5:32pm

Post #30 of 36 (429 views)
Shortcut
Open Mike Fireside Reading [In reply to] Can't Post

According to NEB's tentative schedule, there's going to be an evening of Tolkien readings on Friday night. I'm just wondering if any of you who are going are planning to read something?

visualweasel
Rohan

Apr 8 2008, 5:48pm

Post #31 of 36 (448 views)
Shortcut
This year and next [In reply to] Can't Post

Either one of those topics would be great for me right now! How do you know all this, visualweasel? Do you have a special contact on the organizing committee?

"When Manwë there ascends his throne and looks forth, if Varda is beside him, he sees further than all other eyes, through mist, and through darkness, and over the leagues of the sea. And if Manwë is with her, Varda hears more clearly than all other ears the sound of voices that cry from east to west, from the hills and the valleys, and from the dark places that Melkor has made upon Earth."

Hahae, just kidding. No, I just kept bugging Chris Vaccaro until he provided me with the info (including the schedule, which I passed on to NEB). This will be my third year there, so I guess Chris is getting used to hearing from me. Wink

I'm so excited about the prospect of next year's conference that I've practically forgotten about this coming weekend -- but really, I should finish this year's paper first, don't you think?

You are sooo not alone there! I'm still working on mine too. My original draft was about 30% too long. D'oh! And don't you find pruning after the fact so much harder than the initial writing? Tongue

According to NEB's tentative schedule, there's going to be an evening of Tolkien readings on Friday night. I'm just wondering if any of you who are going are planning to read something?

I probably will not make the reading, myself. I normally combine this conference with a chance to spend some time with my oldest friend, Gary (a teacher in Boston). I only get to see him once, sometimes twice, a year, so we'll be hanging out in Boston before we drive up to Vermont. He doesn't get to leave school until late Friday afternoon, so we probably won't reach Burlington until fairly late in the evening, probably too late to turn up at the readings. At least, if the past two years are any guide. We also don't normally attend the undergraduate readings on Sunday, since we have to drive back to Boston. I normally fly out Sunday night or Monday morning, so it's a tight squeeze. But I wouldn't miss it!

PS. I will be attending the dinner Saturday night, so we should get a chance to talk then, if not earlier in the day.

Jason Fisher

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 8 2008, 6:47pm

Post #32 of 36 (414 views)
Shortcut
"Iumbo, or ye Kinde of ye Oliphaunt". // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Apr. 7-13 for "The Departure of Boromir".

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 8 2008, 7:41pm

Post #33 of 36 (556 views)
Shortcut
Update to this year's schedule and more on next year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Visualweasel is busy writing his paper, but he forwarded me an update for this year's conference from INDIGO ISTARI that also includes some details on next year.

Tolkien 2008
Friday, April 11th
Henderson’s Café, Davis Center

7:30-9:00 p.m. -- Open-mike Fireside Tolkien Reading

Saturday, April 12th
Memorial Lounge Auditorium, Waterman Building

8:00-8:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast

8:30-10:00 a.m. -- Session I: Personal Identity, Power, and Post-colonialism
>>Jacob Seliger “The Paradox of Power and Defining Good and Evil in The Lord of the Rings
>> Thomas Turner II “‘Their Fall Is Into Possessiveness’: Possessiveness, Imperialism, and Colonialism in Middle-earth”
>>Michael Stanton “Tolkien in New Zealand”

10:00-11:30 a.m. -- Session II: Story and Heirlooms of Middle-earth
>>Jason Fisher “‘Whoso beheld her was filled with her love’: Sourcing Beren and Lúthien in the Tale of Kilhwch and Olwen
>>Elizabeth Kelly Martin “‘Ever On and On’: Ownership in Beowulf and Tolkien’s Fiction”
>>Open Discussion

11:30-1:30 p.m. -- Lunch Break

1:30-3:30 p.m. -- Session III: Bodies and Landscapes in Middle-earth
>>Anna Smol “Uncanny Landscapes and Experiences of War in The Lord of the Rings
>>Christopher Vaccaro “Physical Perils in The Hobbit”
>>E.L. Risden “In Body, Out of Body: Tolkien’s Monsters, Norse Tradition, and the Conjunction of Spirit and Flesh”

3:00-4:30 p.m. -- Session IV: Out of Celtic/Back to Celtic
>>Roslyn Blyn-LaDrew “Celtic and Back Again: Translations of The Hobbit into Irish and Breton”
>>Jamie Williamson “Tolkien’s Use of Traditional Narrative Genre Forms”
>>Open Discussion

4:30-4:45 p.m. -- Coffee/Tea Break

4:45-5:30 p.m. -- Keynote Speaker
>>Marjorie Burns “Night-wolves, Half-trolls, and the Dead Who Won't Stay Down: The Saga
Supernatural in Tolkien's Middle-earth”

Sunday, April 13th
Memorial Lounge Auditorium, Waterman Building

9:30-11:30 a.m. -- Session VI: Undergraduate Voices in Tolkien and Middle-earth Studies
>>David Beams “Strength and Abnegation: Taoist Philosophy in Tolkien’s World”
>>Justin Griffing “With Groans and Travail: An Investigation of the Theme of Redemption in The Lord of the Rings
>>Christopher Waldo “And Then There Was Music: Cosmogony and Cosmology in Tolkien, Pythagorean Philosophy, and Hesiod”

Tolkien 2009
April 10-12th
Conference Theme: Females and the Feminine in Middle-earth: Readings, Writings, and Interpretations
Keynote Speaker: Jane Chance

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Apr. 7-13 for "The Departure of Boromir".

PipeWeedEnthusiast

Apr 12 2008, 5:22pm

Post #34 of 36 (407 views)
Shortcut
Recaps Thus Far [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah ha! said the UVM undergrad.

I have been quite upset because I didn't think I'd make the conference, having been suffering from what only can be described as the flu this past week. I attended the morning portion of the conference, am taking a break, and then will attend the keynote later. And then, if feeling up to it, be one of the ones on the undergrad panel tomorrow.

This morning's portion of the conference was great. There were three nice papers presented, though the one of the speakers was unable to make it due to the airline fiasco currently going on. Then came the open discussion of Tom Bombadil to fill the time. A chance to publicize my theory! Mwahaha!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

vtboyarc
Lorien

Apr 22 2008, 3:36am

Post #35 of 36 (373 views)
Shortcut
dang it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could go! My grandparents live in Burlington, but I'm far away at college

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

visualweasel
Rohan

Apr 23 2008, 3:53pm

Post #36 of 36 (582 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien 2008 (University of Vermont) Conference Report [In reply to] Can't Post

Read my post on Tolkien 2008, with a full conference report, and a fun little game of Where’s Waldo*, here. Seriously, anyone here thinking of attending next year, do! For the third year running, it's been one of the best events I've been involved with.

* Where’s N.E. Brigand, actually. Wink

Jason Fisher

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.