The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
New York Times reviews The Hobbit -

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 7:09pm

Post #1 of 2 (479 views)
Shortcut
New York Times reviews The Hobbit - Can't Post

- and lots of other Tolkien titles, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/02/11/specials/tolkien.html

I like this page; it has reviews ranging from 1938 onwards - very illuminating, and useful too.
Smile

squire
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 2 (417 views)
Shortcut
I loved what NYT reporter Harvey Breit published in 1955, just after the release of Two Towers [In reply to] Can't Post

Breit ran a kind of literary gossip column in the Times' book section. He thought LotR was a kind of 'somber and brilliantly bizarre Gothic masterpiece', which seemed odd coming from a children's book writer. This is what he put in his column that week:

What, we asked Dr. Tolkien, makes you tick? Dr. T., who teaches at Oxford when he isn't writing novels, has this brisk reply:

"I don't tick. I am not a machine. (If I did tick, I should have no views on it, and you had better ask the winder.)

"My work did not 'evolve' into a serious work. It started like that. The so-called 'children's story' was a fragment, torn out of an already existing mythology. In so far as it was dressed up as 'for children,' in style or manner, I regret it. So do the children.

"I am a philologist, and all my work is philological. I avoid hobbies because I am a very serious person and cannot distinguish between private amusement and duty. I am affable, but unsociable. I only work for private amusement, since I find my duties privately amusing."

As the editor of the Letters of JRRT notes, this rather acerbic and snappy answer was, evidently, extracted from a longer and more reasonable letter that Tolkien wrote. He defended himself to his American publishers with: 'Please do not blame me for what Breit made of my letter!.... The original made sense: not a quality, however, of which Harvey B. seems perceptive. I was asked a series of questions, with a request to answer briefly, brightly, and quotably.' He then gave them an all-purpose autobiographical 'who is Tolkien and why did he write that book' press release that is given in the book as Letter 165.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.