The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 12:22pm

Post #1 of 8 (365 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

Here's another Book Spoiler found in Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Over Hill and Under Hill: The Hobbit

"All was well, until one day they met a thunderstorm---more than a thunderstorm, a thunder-battle… …thunder and lightning in the mountains at night, when storms come up from East and West and make war. The lightning splinters on the peaks and rocks shiver, and great crashes split the air and go rolling and tumbling into every cave and hollow; and the darkness is filled with overwhelming noise and sudden light…
…They were high up in a narrow place, with a dreadful fall into a dim valley at one side of them. There they were sheltering under a hanging rock for the night, and he lay beneath a blanket and shook from head to toe. When he peeped out in the lightning-flashes, [Bilbo] saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang. Then came a wind and a rain, and the wind whipped the rain and the hail about in every direction…
"…This won't do at all!" said Thorin. "If we don't get blown off or drowned, or struck by lightning, we shall be picked up by some giant and kicked sky-high for a football…."
…they sent Fili and Kili to look for a better shelter. They had very sharp eyes, and being the youngest of the dwarves by some fifty years they usually got these sort of jobs (when everybody could see that it was absolutely no use sending Bilbo)…
…Soon Fili and Kili came crawling back, holding on to the rocks in the wind. "We have found a dry cave," they said, "not far round the next corner; and ponies and all could get inside."
"Have you thoroughly explored it?" said the wizard, who knew that caves up in the mountains were seldom un-occupied.
"Yes, yes!" they said, though everybody knew they could not have been long about it; they had come back too quick. "It isn't all that big, and it does not go far back."
That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves: you don't know how far they go back, sometimes, or where a passage behind may lead to, or what is waiting for you inside. But now Fili and Kili's news seemed good enough. So they all got up and prepared to move…"

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 1 2015, 9:00pm

Post #2 of 8 (289 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's what happened after the Company met the stone-giants in a Book Spoiler found in Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Over Hill and Under Hill: The Hobbit

"The wind was howling and the thunder still growling, and they had a business getting themselves and their ponies along. Still it was not very far to go, and before long they came to a big rock standing out into the path... ...As they passed under the arch, it was good to hear the wind and the rain outside instead of all about them, and to feel safe from the giants and their rocks... ...they explored the cave from end to end.
It seemed quite a fair size, but not too large and mysterious. It had a dry floor and some comfortable nooks... ...Oin and Gloin wanted to light a fire at the door to dry their clothes... ...They talked and talked, and forgot about the storm, and discussed what each would do with his share of the treasure (when they got it, which at the moment did not seem so impossible); and so they dropped off to sleep one by one. And that was the last time that they used the ponies, packages, baggages, tools and paraphernalia that they had brought with them.
It turned out a good thing that night that they had brought little Bilbo with them, after all. For somehow, he could not go to sleep for a long while; and when he did sleep, he had very nasty dreams... ...he dreamed that the floor of the cave was giving way, and he was slipping—beginning to fall down, down, goodness knows where to.
At that he woke up with a horrible start, and found that part of his dream was true... ...he gave a very loud yell, as loud a yell as a hobbit can give, which is surprising for their size.
Out jumped the goblins, big goblins, great ugly-looking goblins, lots of goblins, before you could say rocks and blocks. There were six to each dwarf, at least, and two even for Bilbo; and they were all grabbed and carried through the crack, before you could say tinder and flint.... ...It was deep, deep, dark, such as only goblins that have taken to living in the heart of the mountains can see through. The passages there were crossed and tangled in all directions, but the goblins new their way... ...and they way went down and down, and it was most horribly stuffy. The goblins were very rough, and pinched unmercifully, and chuckled and laughed in their horrible stony voices; and Bilbo was more unhappy even than when the troll had picked him up by his toes. He wished again and again for his nice bright hobbit-hole. Not for the last time."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 10:41am

Post #3 of 8 (301 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in the U.S., we can't WAIT for February 2nd and the excitement of "weather" or not Puxsutawney Phil will see his shadow! All eyes are turned to Pennsylvania and that rodent's prediction! Although, I must admit, this winter in my part of Michigan has been pretty good this year!! No crippling snowstorms so far. Plus, we don't trust ol' Phil, so we watch our own fuzzy representative in Holly, Michigan... and we're definitely NOT seeing the sun today...so that should be an early Spring this year *tosses confetti whilst spinning in chair*

Here's a Book Spoiler that discusses the Celebrity of the Day... though really it's his badgering cousin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Long-Expected Party: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'Well yes--and no. Now it comes to it, I don't like parting with it at all, I may say. And I don't really see why I should. Why do you want me to?' he asked, and a curious change came over his voice. It was sharp with suspicion and annoyance. 'You are always badgering me about my ring; but you have never bothered me about the other things that I got on my journey.'
... 'No, but I had to badger you,' said Gandalf. 'I wanted the truth. It was important. Magic rings are--well, magical; and they are rare and curious.'"

From In the House of Tom Bombadil: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "Frodo looked at it closely, and rather suspiciously (like one who has lent a trinket to a juggler). It was the same Ring, or looked the same and weighed the same: for that Ring had always seemed to Frodo to weigh strangely heavy in the hand. But something prompted him to make sure. He was perhaps a trifle annoyed with Tom for seeming to make so light of what even Gandalf thought so perilously important. He waited for an opportunity when the talk was going again, and Tom was telling an absurd story about badgers and their queer ways—then he slipped the Ring on."

From A Journey in the Dark: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'There must have been a mighty crowd of dwarves here at one time,' said Sam; 'and every one of them busier than badgers for five hundred years to make all this, and most in hard rock too!'"

From Helm's Deep: The Two Towers

... "'Do not judge the counsel of Gandalf, until all is over, lord,' said Aragorn.
... 'The end will not be long,' said the king. 'But I will not end here, taken like an old badger in a trap. Snowmane and Hasufel and the horses of my guard are in the inner court. When dawn comes, I will bid men sound Helm's horn, and I will ride forth. Will you ride with me then son of Arathorn? Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a song—if any be left to sing of us hereafter.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 2 2015, 10:42am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2015, 5:25pm

Post #4 of 8 (265 views)
Shortcut

Here's part 1 of a set of Book Spoilers that walks with Sam as he journeys through Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Tower of Cirith Ungol: The Return of the King

... "All was ominously quiet. The light was no more than that of dusk at a dark day's end...
... ...Sam looked up towards the orc-tower, and suddenly from its narrow windows lights stared out like small red eyes. He wondered if they were some signal. His fear of the orcs, forgotten for a while in his wrath and desperation, now returned. As far as he could see, there was only one possible course for him to take: he must go on and try to find the main entrance to the dreadful tower; but his knees felt weak, and he found that he was trembling... ...he forced his unwilling feet to obey him, and slowly, listening with all his ears, ... ...he retraced his steps, past the place where Frodo fell, and still the stench of Shelob lingered...
... ...he halted and sat down. For the moment he could drive himself no further.... ...Without any clear purpose he drew out the Ring and put it on again. Immediately he felt the great burden of its weight, and felt afresh, but now more strong and urgent than ever, the malice of the Eye of Mordor, searching....
... ...Sam found that his hearing was sharpened, but that to his sight the things of this world seemed thin and vague. ... ...he heard cries and the clash of metal... ...his hearing had deceived him: the orc-cries came from the tower, whose topmost horn was now right above him, on the left hand of the cleft.
... Sam shuddered and tried to force himself to move. There was plainly some devilry going on. Perhaps in spite of all orders the cruelty of the orcs had mastered them, and they were tormenting Frodo, or even savagely hacking him to pieces. He listened; and as he did so a gleam of hope came to him. There could not be much doubt: there was fighting in the tower, the orcs must be at war among themselves, Shagrat and Gorbag had come to blows. Faint as was the hope that his guess brought him, it was enough to rouse him. There might be just a chance. His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud: 'I'm coming, Mr. Frodo.'
... He ran forward to the crown of the climbing path, and over it. At once the road turned left and plunged steeply down. Sam had crossed into Mordor...."

[more tomorrow]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 4 2015, 10:45am

Post #5 of 8 (262 views)
Shortcut

Here's part 2 of a set of Book Spoilers that walks with Sam as he walks in Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "He took off the Ring, moved it may be by some deep premonition of danger, though to himself he thought only that he wished to see more clearly. 'Better have a look at the worst... ...No good blundering about in a fog!'
... Hard and cruel and bitter was the land that met his gaze... ...but almost straight ahead, across a wide lake of darkness dotted with tiny fires, there was a great burning glow... ...Sam was looking at Orodruin, the Mountain of Fire. Ever and anon the furnaces far below its ashen cone would grow hot and with a great surging and throbbing pour fourth rivers of molten rock from chasms in its sides. Some would flow blazing towards Barad-dûr down great channels; some would wind their way into the stone plain, until they cooled and lay like twisted dragon-shapes vomited from the tormented earth. In such an hour of labour Sam beheld Mount Doom, and the light of it... ...now glared against the stark rock faces, so that they seemed to be drenched with blood.
... In that dreadful light Sam stood aghast, for now, looking to his left, he could see the Tower of Cirith Ungol in all its strength...
... ...Only too clearly Sam saw how hopeless it would be for him to creep down under those many-eyed walls and pass the watchful gate... ...But desperate as that road might be, his task was now far worse: not to avoid the gate and escape, but to enter it, alone.
... His thought turned to the Ring, but there was no comfort there, only dread and danger. No sooner had he come in sight of Mount Doom... ...than he was aware of a change in his burden. As it drew near the great furnaces where, in the deeps of time, it had been shaped and forged, the Ring's power grew, and it became more fell, untameable save by some mighty will. As Sam stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself...
......He felt that he had from now on only two choices; to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows. Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong... ...striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dûr... ...and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.
... In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that help most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden... ...The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due... ...his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.
... 'And anyway all these notions are only a trick... ...He'd spot me and cow me, before I could so much as shout out. He'd spot me, pretty quick, if I put the ring on now, in Mordor. Well, all I can say is: things look as hopeless as a frost in spring. Just when being invisible would be really useful, I can't use the Ring! And if ever I get any further, it's going to be nothing but a drag and a burden every step. So what's to be done?'
... He was not really in any doubt... ...With a shrug of his shoulders, as if to shake off the shadow and dismiss the phantoms, he began slowly to descend. With each step he seemed to diminish. He had not gone far before he had shrunk again to a very small and frightened hobbit."
[a bit more tomorrow]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2015, 8:01pm

Post #6 of 8 (249 views)
Shortcut

Here's part three, the last of a set of Book Spoilers that walks with Sam as he walks in Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... He was now passing under the very walls of the Tower, and the cries and sounds of fighting could be heard with is unaided ears. At the moment the noise seemed to be coming from the court behind the outer wall...
...He went on, hugging the wall on this left. One look upward had shown him that there was no hope of climbing it. The stone-work rose thirty feet, without a crack or ledge, to overhanging courses like inverted steps. The gate was the only way.
... He crept on; and as he went he wondered how many orcs lived in the Tower with Shagrat, and how many Gorbag had, and what they were quarrelling about, if that was what was happening... ...Almost certainly they were quarrelling about Frodo, and the spoil. For a second Sam halted, for suddenly things seemed clear to him, almost as if he had seen them with his eyes. The mithril coat! Of course, Frodo was wearing it, and they would find it... ...But the orders of the Dark Tower were at present Frodo's only protection, and if they were set aside, Frodo might be killed out of hand at any moment.
... 'Come on, you miserable sluggard!' Sam cried to himself. 'Now for it!' He drew Sting and ran towards the open gate. But... ...under its great arch he felt a shock: as if he had run into some web like Shelob's, only invisible. He could see no obstacle, but something too strong for his will to overcome barred the way. He looked about, and then within the shadow of the gate he saw the Two Watchers.
... They were like great figures seated upon thrones... ...carved out of huge blocks of stone, immovable, and yet they were aware: some dreadful spirit of evil vigilance abode in them. They knew an enemy. Visible or invisible none could pass unheeded. They would forbid his entry, or his escape.
... Hardening his will Sam thrust forward once again and halted with a jerk, staggering as if from a blow upon his breast and head. Then greatly daring... ...answering a sudden thought that came to him, he drew slowly out the phial of Galadriel and held it up. Its white light quickened swiftly, and the shadows under the dark arch fled. The monstrous Watchers sat there cold and still, revealed in all their hideous shape... ...but slowly he felt their will waver and crumble into fear.
... He sprang past them; but even as he did so, thrusting the phial back into his bosom, he was aware, as plainly as if a bar of steel had snapped to behind him, that their vigilance was renewed. And from those evil heads there came a high shrill cry that echoed in the towering walls before him....
... '...That's done it!' said Sam. 'Now I've rung the front-door bell! Well, come on somebody!' he cried. 'Tell Captain Shagrat that the great Elf-warrior has called, with his elf-sword too!'"

Remember this in the Trollshaws?

... "'Where did you come by that, Sam?' asked Pippin. 'I've never heard those words before.'
... Sam muttered something inaudible. 'It's out of his own head, of course,' said Frodo. 'I am learning a lot about Sam Gamgee on this journey. First he was a conspirator, now he's a jester. He'll end up becoming a wizard--or a warrior!'
... 'I hope not,' said Sam. 'I don't want to be neither!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2015, 12:02pm

Post #7 of 8 (245 views)
Shortcut

Here's another Riddles (so it begins) Book Spoiler found in Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Riddles in the Dark: The Hobbit

"Riddles were all he [Gollum] could think of. Asking them, and sometimes guessing them, had been the only game he had ever played with other funny creatures…."

"…Very well," said Bilbo, who was anxious to agree, until he found out more about the creature, whether he was quite alone, whether he was fierce or hungry….
"…You ask first," he said, because he had not had time so think of a riddle.
So gollum hissed:

What has roots as nobody sees,

Is taller than trees,

Up, up it goes,

And yet never grows?

"Easy!" said Bilbo. "Mountain, I suppose."
"Does it guess easy? It must have a competition with us, my preciouss! If precious asks, and it doesn't answer, we eats it, my preciousss. If it asks us, and we doesn't answer, then we does what it wants, eh? We shows it the way out, yes!"
"All right!" said Bilbo, not daring to disagree, and nearly bursting his brain to think of riddles that could save him from being eaten.

Thirty white horses on a red hill,

First they champ,

Then they stamp,

Then they stand still.

That was all he could think of to ask—the idea of eating was rather on his mind…
"…Teeth! teeth! my preciousss; but we has only six!" Then he asked his second:

Voiceless it cries,

Wingless flutters,

Toothless bites,

Mouthless mutters.

"Half a moment!" cried Bilbo, who was still thinking uncomfortably about eating. Fortunately he had once heard something rather like this before, and get his wits back he thought of the answer. "Wind, wind of course," he said…
… without even scratching his head or putting on his thinking cap.

A box without hinges, key, or lid,

Yet golden treasure inside is hid,

he asked to gain time, until he could think of a really hard one… …But it proved a nasty poser for Gollum. He hissed to himself, and still he did not answer; he whispered and spluttered.
After some while Bilbo became impatient. "Well, what is it?" he said…
"…Give us a chance; let it give us a chance, my preciouss—ss—ss."
"Well," said Bilbo, after giving him a long chance, "what about your guess?"
But suddenly Gollum remembered thieving from nests long ago, and sitting under the river bank teaching his grandmother, teaching his grandmother to suck—"Eggses!" he hissed. "Eggses it is!" Then he asked…

…This thing all things devours:

Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;

Gnaws iron, bites steel;

Grinds hard stones to meal…

…Poor Bilbo sat in the dark thinking … …He had a feeling that the answer was quite different and that he ought to know it, but he could not think of it. He began to get frightened, and that is bad for thinking,

[out of order-but used in film] After a while Gollum began to hiss with pleasure to himself: "Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy? Is it scrumptiously crunchable?" He began to peer at Bilbo out of the darkness.
"Half a moment," said the hobbit shivering. "I gave you a good long chance just now."

[back in order] Gollum began to get out of his boat. He flapped into the water and paddled to the bank; Bilbo could see his eyes coming towards him. His tongue seemed to stick in his mouth; he wanted to shout out: "Give me more time! Give me time!" But all that came out with a sudden squeal was:

"Time! Time!"

Bilbo was saved by pure luck. For that of course was the answer.
Gollum was disappointed once more; and now he was getting angry, and also tired of the game. It had made him very hungry indeed… …He sat down in the dark by Bilbo. That made the hobbit most dreadfully uncomfortable and scattered his wits.
"It's got to ask uss a quesstion, my preciouss, yes, yess, yesss. Jusst one more quesstion to guess, yes, yess," said Gollum.
But Bilbo simply could not think of any question with that nasty wet cold thing sitting next to him… …He scratched himself, he pinched himself; still he could not think of anything.
"Ask us! ask us!" said Gollum.
Bilbo… …felt in his pocket with his other hand. There he found the ring he had picked up in the passage and forgotten about.
"What have I got in my pocket?" he said aloud. He was talking to himself, but Gollum thought it was a riddle, and he was frightfully upset."
"Not fair! not fair!' he hissed. 'It isn't fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it's got in its nassty little pocketses?"
Bilbo seeing what had happened and having nothing better to ask stuck to his question. "What have I got in my pocket?" he said louder.
"S-s-s-s-s… …It must give us three guesseses, my precious, three guesseses."
"Very well! Guess away!" said Bilbo.
"Handses!" said Gollum.
"Wrong," said Bilbo, who had luckily just taken his hand out again. "Guess again!"
"S-s-s-s-s," said Gollum more upset than ever. He thought of all the things he kept in his own pockets: fish-bones, goblins' teeth, wet shells, a bit of bat-wing, a sharp stone to sharpen his fangs on, and other nasty things. He tried to think what other people kept in their pockets.
"Knife!" he said at last.
"Wrong!" said Bilbo, who had lost his some time ago. "Last guess!"
Now Gollum was in a much worse state than when Bilbo had asked him the egg-question. He hissed and spluttered and rocked himself backwards and forwards, and slapped his feet on the floor, and wriggled and squirmed; but still he did not dare to waste his last guess.
"Come on!" said Bilbo. "I am waiting!" He tried to sound bold and cheerful…
"…Time's up!" he said.
"String, or nothing!" shrieked Gollum, which was not quite fair—working in two guesses at once.
"Both wrong," cried Bilbo very much relieved; and he jumped at once to his feet, put his back to the nearest wall, and held out his little sword. He knew, of course, that the riddle-game was sacred and of immense antiquity, and even wicked creatures were afraid to cheat when they played at it. But he felt he could not trust this slimy thing to keep any promise at a pinch. Any excuse would do for him to slide out of it. And after all that last question had not been a genuine riddle according to the ancient laws.
But… …Gollum did not at once attack him. He could see the sword in Bilbo's hand. He sat still, shivering and whispering. At last Bilbo could wait no longer.
"Well?" he said. "What about your promise? I want to go. You must show me the way."
"Did we say so, precious? Show the nassty little Baggins the way out, yes, yes. But what has it got in its pocketses, eh? Not string, precious, but not nothing. Oh no! gollum!"
"Never you mind," said Bilbo. "A promise is a promise…."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 7 2015, 10:49am

Post #8 of 8 (238 views)
Shortcut

Here's another Riddles Book Spoiler (2 more to go) found in Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Riddles in the Dark: The Hobbit

"'Well, hurry up!" said Bilbo, relieved to think of Gollum going away. He thought he was just making an excuse and did not mean to come back. What was Gollum talking about? What useful thing could he keep out on the dark lake? But he was wrong. Gollum did mean to come back. He was angry now and hungry. And he was a miserable wicked creature, and already he had a plan… …in his hiding-place he kept a few wretched oddments, and one very beautiful thing, very beautiful, very wonderful. He had a ring, a golden ring, a precious ring… …it was a ring of power, and if you slipped that ring on your finger, you were invisible; only the full sunlight could you be seen, and then only by your shadow, and that would be shaky and faint.
"…It won't see us, will it, my precious? No. It won't see us, and its nassty little sword will be useless, yes quite."
That is what was in his wicked little mind… …Bilbo thought he had heard the last of him. Still he waited for a while; for he had no idea how to find his way out alone.
Suddenly he heard a screech. It sent a shiver down his back. Gollum was cursing and wailing… …scrabbling here and there, searching and seeking in vain.
"Where is it? Where iss it? Bilbo heard him crying. "Losst it is, my precious, lost, lost! Curse us and crush us, my precious is lost!"
"What's the matter… …What have you lost?"
"It mustn't ask us," shrieked Gollum. "Not its business, no, gollum! It's losst, gollum, gollum, gollum."
"Well, so am I," cried Bilbo, "and I want to get unlost. And I won the game, and you promised. So come along! Come and let me out, and then go on with your looking!" Utterly miserable as Gollum sounded, Bilbo could not find much pity in his heart, and he had a feeling that anything Gollum wanted so much could hardly be something good. "Come along!" he shouted.
"No, not yet, precious!" Gollum answered. "We must search for it, it's lost, gollum."
"But you never guessed my last question, and you promised," said Bilbo.
"Never guessed!" said Gollum. Then suddenly out of the gloom came a sharp hiss. "What has it got in its pocketses? Tell us that. It must tell first.""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.