Thorin Oaken-shield...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 1 2015, 9:26pm

Post #51 of 56 (324 views)
Shortcut
some thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not an expert on anyone's acting and have not followed their careers, but here are some honest impressions anyway...

ShireHorse already commented about RA's range of voice and its many nuances. One more example from a scene that's far from authoritative: When in the end Thorin says to Bilbo " I am so sorry... that I have lead you to such peril", and his voice breaks, it's enough to bring some of us to tears - the voice alone (well, in that context, but still).

theres acting and then theres acting, RA is fine for sunday afternoon tv or action film movie characters, but when your playing against mkellans, stotts, blanchets, he pales into comparison.

This one I don't get at all. I think Stott was wonderful and very moving, but I don't see how the (too) few character moments we had with Balin would in any way outshine RA's performance. And while I have respect for Blanchett's Galadriel, she had considerably fewer emotions to portray in the Hobbit films than RA's Thorin - and without any hindrance from prosthetics on her face. If they have to be compared, I find nothing to complain about in either, but I have never been as involved or "caught in the moment" with Galadriel as I was with Thorin. (Oh, yes, it must be the hormones talking...! Cool)

ShireHorse's posts regarding RA's approach to playing Thorin were interesting, informative and much appreciated :)

These are just my opinions as a general viewer, I'm not looking for a fight Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 12:54am

Post #52 of 56 (336 views)
Shortcut
Above and beyond what I expected. [In reply to] Can't Post

He shifts gear from joyful to dark in the blink of an eye. The range of emotions he conquered still astounds me. Super-strong performance and super-awesome character!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

glor
Rohan

Feb 3 2015, 12:28am

Post #53 of 56 (251 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Sean Bean is a good actor but he is often stuck in bad roles and typecast as the gruff northerner.

Bernard Hill is better, His performance as Yosser Hughes is one of the finest ever committed to screen.

So I am genuinely puzzled why you miss Mr Armitage's talents. Yes RA has had issues getting his fair share of quality roles due to his relatively tall height for actors ( oh the irony) although he still has a far better acting CV than Mr Bean. RA has an intelligence to his acting that Sean Bean lacks.

RA toured with Sir Anthony Sher in the RSC during the late 90s/earl noughties, an influential and important tour, which changed how Shakespeare is performed. Sher, is part of that high literature intellectual school of thespianism, which represent the best of British theatre and RA obviously learnt a lot during his time there.

North and South in which RA played Thornton is a very highly regarded BBC adaptation, ask Julian fellows amongst others and RAs portrayal of Thornton is considered to be a turning point in how romantic heroes are played, he didn't emasculate himself to be romantic, no more wet Darcy's literally or metaphorically.
( that's just for starters)

Let's not forget one of the most highly acclaimed productions in recent London theatre history, in which RA received the kind of superlatives from some of Londons most respected and, jaded theatre critics that, most actors would kill for.

sometimes you or I cannot connect to an actor, I for one always see Tom Hanks in a movie, he never acts as far as I am concerned and yet, there are others who disagree, another one for me is Ryan Gosling, he just comes across like he's sulking all the time and overcompensating for something with all that macho posturing stuff he does, I actually laugh out loud. Oh and I find Nicole Kidman acting skills no better than a robots.

Sometimes that just happens, it not anyone's fault, but I do understand that feeling of bemusement when watching certain actors perform.

As a side note: many good actors will tell you, being authoritative is actually really hard to do, if not one of the hardest things an actor can do, it is why so few can actually do it successfully. It's why only a handful of actors ever get to occupy those roles.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 3 2015, 3:10am

Post #54 of 56 (238 views)
Shortcut
well again [In reply to] Can't Post

this is a very one sided argument , sean bean also toured with the RSC and RA roles were minor in comparison. I dont think richard armitage changed what romantic leads could be in a tv production, that is a ridiculous statement, what about sean bean in lady chatterlys lover? 10 years previously which sent people crazy at the time, and thats just the most obvious example.

you can also argue that the crucible, one of the most acclaimed plays ever, has barely had a bad word since it was first performed, its a win win production for any actor and critic, he was always bound to get good reviews. and i would go as far to say i think it would be better suited to someone with a colloquial accent like sean beans anyway, the character RA plays was meant to be a down to earth farmer, he was a bit too posh.

and also to say that RA has a better cv than sean bean is neglecting a very long career. goldeneye chatterlys lover (had a huge impact) game of thrones, lotr, sharpe,patriot games a best actor television award for accused amongst many that i just managed to google. he has had a long career of continuously successfully and high profile roles. RA is nowhere near him in that regard, its naive to think otherwise. and if your talking about authorative roles, i think mr bean wins that one too, he is the go to bad guy in many hollywood films, in which he is still working, e.g jupiter ascending.

i suppose its comes down to if you like a bit or rough, or the posh guy, but then benedict cumberbatch wins that one anyway.

so, i still disagree that RA is a good thorin, i think ihe is just as type cast as sean bean, so i wouldnt discount him, his roles are way cooler than RA and lets face it, he was in golden eye lotr and game of thrones. eat it richard.

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Feb 3 2015, 3:16am)

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 3 2015, 3:45am

Post #55 of 56 (233 views)
Shortcut
Did You Actually See The Production? [In reply to] Can't Post

the character RA plays was meant to be a down to earth farmer, he was a bit too posh.

If you have, then you have an interesting definition of posh is all I can say... and I'm now leaving this discussion at that.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 3 2015, 3:55am

Post #56 of 56 (245 views)
Shortcut
bit too posh... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

the character RA plays was meant to be a down to earth farmer, he was a bit too posh.

If you have, then you have an interesting definition of posh is all I can say... and I'm now leaving this discussion at that.

its not really a discussion if you definitively end it, is it?!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.