Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Did you enjoy all the bloody scenes in PJ's movies?

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 30 2015, 1:47pm

Post #1 of 15 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Did you enjoy all the bloody scenes in PJ's movies? Can't Post

I think that he really overdid the battle scenes...=) What is your opinion?

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 2:32pm

Post #2 of 15 (1394 views)
Shortcut
They were not overly bloody. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was not too much bloor nor gore. However, it is fair to say that some of the battle scenes and fight sequences were unnecessarily over-the-top. Individual instances have already been discussed repeatedly, so I will leave it at that.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 10:22pm

Post #3 of 15 (1358 views)
Shortcut
I like a good battle scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of my friends are Vikings.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 4:14am

Post #4 of 15 (1359 views)
Shortcut
I didn't find the battle scenes to be bloody [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have done with a much higher percentage of quiet moments, humor and scheming over battle sequences, but I don't consider BOTFA to have been particularly violent. Wouldn't have kept the sought after PG13 rating if it had been truly bloody.

Game of Thrones is bloody. The Vikings is bloody. I still watch them and love them in spite of that but I don't particularly enjoy..well, I will spare you a description of the violence in those shows, but I don't enjoy that part of it. BOTFA is pretty mild by comparison.

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 4:28am

Post #5 of 15 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Deadwood [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a couple of the most brutal fight scenes on that show that I've ever closed my eyes through.

Nothing in PJ's Middle-earth movies has ever struck me as 'bloody.'

In fact, I can't, of hand, think of when they actually showed blood. A few restrained incidences but not many and they were very restrained.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 4:33am

Post #6 of 15 (1351 views)
Shortcut
The only one I can think of... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is in FOTR, when Aragorn decapitates the first squealing orc in Moria. That moment had the most blood that I can remember seeing in the films.

Even then, the editing in that sequence is very tight and did not linger on it for more than a second or two.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2015, 4:40am

Post #7 of 15 (1364 views)
Shortcut
there's also the infamous ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...licking of the knife. That is blood so that qualifies as 'bloody'... in a restrained way.

Have you seen Deadwood, btw? It could be as brutal as Game of Thrones but I man I loved that show through its two seasons. It was brilliant in so many ways.

But once you've seen shows like those, and a few others in the same 'genre'... LOTR/TH doesn't quite qualify as 'bloody'.

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 4:49am

Post #8 of 15 (1341 views)
Shortcut
I forget about that one [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I haven't seen Deadwood. I actually didn't know that it was known for its brutality. I'll have to ask around to see if any of my TV friends are into the show.

I've heard similar statements about Sons of Anarchy, though. I suppose FX gets away with that imagery in the same way as HBO does.

Yeah, LOTR definitely feels 'tame' in a sense, once you've come across very brutal shows/movies. In many ways I appreciate PJ for doing it this way.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 6:29am

Post #9 of 15 (1328 views)
Shortcut
Not bloody, just boring.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 6:31am

Post #10 of 15 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Rome, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first season was pretty bloody, but the second was even more so. Too much for me, and I had to drop out. Too bad, I thought it was really well-done.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jan 31 2015, 6:31am)

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 1 2015, 4:15am

Post #11 of 15 (1325 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's wound [In reply to] Can't Post

in TTT after he fell in the river during the fight with orcs and wargs. That was somewhat bloody to look at, but again nothing remotely approach GOT or Vikings.

I haven't seen Deadwood but I looked it up just now, it looks really good and I might watch it sometime even though I'm not into westerns. Will be prepared to close my eyes as needed.

Growth after all is not so much a matter of change as of ripening, and what alters most is the degree of clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2015, 5:12am

Post #12 of 15 (1332 views)
Shortcut
I consider it to be one of the top 5 shows I've watched [In reply to] Can't Post

Although there are lots of popular shows I haven't watched.

If you watch it, come talk about it in the off topic movie thread.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 2 2015, 8:46pm

Post #13 of 15 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Every fight tells a story. [In reply to] Can't Post

The swordsmaster and stunt coordinator deliberately choreograph each like a ballet, with a beginning, middle, and end. Each fighting style tells you about the fighter's personality and culture.

Yes, I enjoyed the dancers and the dance.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 8:11pm

Post #14 of 15 (1275 views)
Shortcut
there's also the infamous...#2 [In reply to] Can't Post

...swearing an oath of loyalty to Saruman, this done by the leader of the Wild Men (aka Dunlendings?) by cutting himself with his dagger and all the dark blood drips down... =')

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

dreamflower
Lorien

Feb 4 2015, 4:23am

Post #15 of 15 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Not especially gory [In reply to] Can't Post

Some parts were definitely disturbing. But I didn't mind disturbing; life and death violence should be disturbing. However, I did get tired of it going on and on and on. I tried to be patient, since I knew that's what would happen when the name got changed to Battle of Five Armies. But I did wish there was more one-on-one conversation and character moments that did not involve dying.

It was over the top, of course, which is PJ's hallmark; unlike the LOTR trilogy which also had its share of OTT moments, some of it took me out of the story a little as it made me think "cool special effect" instead of worrying if the character was going to survive said effect.

Anyhow, I recently re-watched the Rankin-Bass Hobbit, and while its flaws are myriad (Frog Prince Thranduil and Toad Gollum and Elrond with a beard, anyone?) there's something to be said for a short battle shown on a map by little figures clashing in clouds of dust. Wink

Of course, YMMV. It has to be said a lot of people enjoyed the battles--PJ among them, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade.

(This post was edited by dreamflower on Feb 4 2015, 4:24am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.