The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
the two Fili!

Andreorn89
The Shire

Jan 29 2015, 9:54pm

Post #1 of 12 (2133 views)
Shortcut
the two Fili! Can't Post

I wanted to offer a topic of discussion in my opinion very charming! Just a few days ago, I reviewed the special features of AUJ and came across in testing makeup is Rob Kazinsky! See his Fili is really shocking in a positive sense, is very robust and Dwarven and gives the impression of a real warrior! this is not to say that I do not like Dean O'Gorman as Fili, but between the two there is much difference and I wonder how it would be the wires Kazinsky, as many voices as they say, the part of Fili was very changed when it was replaced by Dean O'Gorman! who do you prefer?
Attachments: tumblr_nexond5FYv1rinujvo2_500.jpeg (35.7 KB)

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jan 29 2015, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 12 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Looks a little too old, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kazinsky looks much older than Kili that the 5 year gap wouldn't really work. (which is basically the equivalent of a year or so I would say in humans since Gimli at 63 years old is still considered too young for the quest)

I think Dean O'Gorman gave a certain nobility to the role that I don't think Kazinsky could have captured in the same respect. After AUJ the issue wasn't that Dean O'Gorman didn't fit the role, it's that so much attention was taken away from him and to know that there was apparently a scene between Fili and Bilbo shot for BotFA which didn't make it in is a little baffling since of all the movies BotFA had the least for Fili to do. He hardly had any lines and all of his acting was in his expressions and reactions.

Fili portrayed by Dean O'Gorman was a wonderful character, but had a lot of room to grow but was unfortunately left by the wayside as cuts were made.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 29 2015, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 12 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Cosplay [In reply to] Can't Post

Rob's Fili gives me cosplay feels. This isn't the final looks of Thorin (and Kili possibly) so maybe it wasn't of Fili either, but I don't think he look natural. He looks prostetic and fake in way. I don't think Dean ended up with a whole lot of it either right? He looks far more natural than Rob.

He doesn't suit the role. The glimpses I saw of him in production blogs and such before the movie came out and he was replaced I was so disappointed with how Fili looked. This has nothing to do with offending Rob. I don't know him as an actor, but for a cute guy he looked awful in the costume.

Dean was a blessing for that role (and the fact that PJ pointed him out of all the people that auditioned for various characters - that's impressive). Of course he was ignored in favor of a lot else though, but yeah. I love movie Fili too thanks to Dean.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Jan 30 2015, 1:26am

Post #4 of 12 (1472 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dean looks much better but if they stuck with Rob I probably wouldn't have known the better.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jan 30 2015, 3:07am

Post #5 of 12 (1466 views)
Shortcut
O'Gorman's Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Dean O'Gorman gave a certain nobility to the role that I don't think Kazinsky could have captured in the same respect.

When I see O'Gorman's Fili I think "Prince". Even when he's dressed in rags he looks like Prince, a noble Dwarf. And when I say this I'm not only speaking of the acting, but the physical appearance as well. I don't get that when I see Kazinsky's Fili.

After AUJ the issue wasn't that Dean O'Gorman didn't fit the role, it's that so much attention was taken away from him and to know that there was apparently a scene between Fili and Bilbo shot for BotFA which didn't make it in is a little baffling since of all the movies BotFA had the least for Fili to do. He hardly had any lines and all of his acting was in his expressions and reactions.

Fili portrayed by Dean O'Gorman was a wonderful character, but had a lot of room to grow but was unfortunately left by the wayside as cuts were made.

O'Gorman's Fili had so much potential! And it is baffling that his part was reduced to what it was.

i would really like to see that scene with Fili and Bilbo. I wonder what it is was about.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 1:38pm

Post #6 of 12 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Well, to be fair [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks as though, from the appearance of the other two, that a lot of refining was still to be done on their hair and makeup/prosthetics at the time this pic was taken. It's hard to picture how Kazinksy would have appeared once his look had been majestified Wink, as the looks of the Thorin and Kili eventually were.

But more importantly, I think, we have no way of knowing how he would have portrayed Fili--how he would have delivered his lines and how he would have interacted with his family and the other Dwarves in the company. How Kazinsky would have carried that off would make all the difference to me.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 5:35pm

Post #7 of 12 (1278 views)
Shortcut
well said [In reply to] Can't Post

though I am quite impressed with the Fili we got!

I feel like he never actually said much, but his whole presence was indeed Noble.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mưl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

elvish.mafia
Bree

Jan 31 2015, 6:17am

Post #8 of 12 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Agreed...even Kili's look changed during filming... [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch the Bag End scenes in AUJ and you'll notice that Kili has a larger prosthetic nose in some shots. Kinda distracting. Cannot be unseen.

Maybe if they hadn't replaced Rob Kazinsky they would also have stuck with Kili's original look?

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Jan 31 2015, 4:51pm

Post #9 of 12 (1172 views)
Shortcut
We'll never know how it would have turned out, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I say this as a biased, unabashed Fili fan - Dean's Fili was perfect. I don't mean any disrespect to the original actor, but in my opinion he just couldn't fill Fili's boots, so to speak. I think he was cast partially based on his looks but once he was made up like a dwarf, something was missing. From the brief scenes of him they left in during Bag End, even his movements don't appear very dwarf-like. As previous stated here, Dean's Fili does look very noble, and even resembles Thorin a bit.

And yes, it's very unfortunate that Fili got pushed to the side, especially in BOTFA.. I think a small storyline for him would have been more interesting than Kili's love story plot. But even though he's not up front and center, there are a lot of subtle expressions and gestures throughout the trilogy (for instance, watch how he reacts to Thorin in many scenes) that give extra characterization.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2015, 5:06pm

Post #10 of 12 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

But even though he's not up front and center, there are a lot of subtle expressions and gestures throughout the trilogy (for instance, watch how he reacts to Thorin in many scenes) that give extra characterization.

That's the great thing about the Fili Dean O'Gorman gave us--so many fabulous nonverbals. The writers might not have written Fili his own storyline, but he always acts as if there is one we just haven't seen. Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 31 2015, 6:57pm

Post #11 of 12 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Agree, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

But even though he's not up front and center, there are a lot of subtle expressions and gestures throughout the trilogy (for instance, watch how he reacts to Thorin in many scenes) that give extra characterization.

That's the great thing about the Fili Dean O'Gorman gave us--so many fabulous nonverbals. The writers might not have written Fili his own storyline, but he always acts as if there is one we just haven't seen. Smile

I agree that Dean offers a lot without words - it's one of the reasons why I love Fili so much despite the lack of scenes and focus on him. But the pity is that the casual movie goer isn't going to give much care from him and that's what's angering me. In no way can they justify using Alfrid (of any character ALFRID) more than Fili or even any of the others.

Arveldis
Rivendell

Feb 1 2015, 7:36pm

Post #12 of 12 (1141 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dean O'Gorman was excellent with what he was offered, but there was a lot more that could have been done with Fili. Other threads have speculated about possible storylines for him, so I won't bring up the same topics here.

I do agree that Alfrid was more expendable than the dwarves. Yes, he brought some humor (an overabundance, in my opinion, but I'll leave it at that and not create another Alfrid argument here), but he could have easily been toned down some in favor of the other dwarves, who had already been criticized for not being very fleshed out.

Due to the nature of Fili's character arc, I think a little more expansion on his character -- maybe one or two more lines/a small scene (like the tantalizing one with Bilbo that was mentioned) in BotFA -- would have helped the general audience feel more attached to his character and more shaken by his death. From what I've read, there were a good portion of non-book readers/casual moviegoers that were not affected all that much by Fili's death. To truly appreciate Fili's character, one had to really look for him and notice all of his subtle reactions/actions. For people who only saw the first two movies once, Fili was just another dwarf along for the ride, who unfortunately got killed. It's a shame because there's much more to Fili than that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.