What happens to the Goblins anyways?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 11:54am

Post #26 of 29 (105 views)
Shortcut
Just because..... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are odd continuity errors that crop up right through the six films, particularly with the EEs. They don't bother me and I'd tend to see them as the result of something which, for me, makes Peter Jackson an excellent storyteller. He's constantly open to ideas for improving the story that crop up during the film-making - his own ideas, the actors', the co-writers', the artists and designers'. I see this as a strength, even though it must be nerve-wracking at times, but it does mean that scenes are shot with one idea in mind that then prove to fit in better somewhere else. When pushed, he values the story above continuity. If he had limitless time and a bottomless budget I daresay he'd refilm then.

It's the story and the characters I care about so when I notice odd blips in the continuity it doesn't bother me. I doubt if I always notice. I can understand why they would be a problem to others as they are to you but I don't think they happen 'just because he might think something looks really cool.' I think there are all sorts of reasons, some quite practical. For example, with the bats. It's one thing to say on paper that the bats cover the sky and make it dark so that daylight-hating orcs can go outside but in practice that would take an awful lot of bats. And filming a battle that happens in the dark may not be the best idea....

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2015, 3:48pm

Post #27 of 29 (94 views)
Shortcut
Done that already... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And filming a battle that happens in the dark may not be the best idea....

Helm's Deep was mostly a night battle. I think avoiding something that looked too close to any of the major LotR battles was one of the parameters in the decision making.

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Jan 31 2015, 3:50pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 4:09pm

Post #28 of 29 (87 views)
Shortcut
Crumbs, yes, you're right..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten Helms Deep. Which was, ironically, the Uruks who could go about in daylight!

I was thinking of Pelennor Fields, which again should have had a darkened sky to allow the orcs to fight. But it wasn't as dark as in the book, was it, except at night? The cloud gave only a partial cover.

I thought the snow and ice gave a very distinctive look to Five Armies. It leeched the colour out of the scene without making it really dark.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 31 2015, 8:48pm

Post #29 of 29 (92 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf says "Only one thing can save us now, daylight" [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's definitely the sunlight that stops the goblin pursuit. I know we see the goblins in sunlight in BoFA, but we also see the trolls in daylight there, and we can't really argue that anything but daylight saved the company from the three trolls in AUJ.

I don't think PJ cares about continuity. I'm sure he'd make Bilbo wear the ring and stay visible if he thought it somehow helped the story. Unfortunately having trolls and goblins in daylight doesn't help the story, and was put in purely for the sake of melodramatic action. Frown

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 31 2015, 8:49pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.