Such a cozy room, the windows are illuminated
By the evening sunshine through them
Fiery gems for you, only for you

Our house, is a very, very, very fine house
With two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy, 'cause of you
– Graham Nash, 1969

House

As the title makes clear, Tom’s House is central to this chapter. And in fact Tolkien describes its layout and features in more detail than he gives to most of the other dwellings in the book. At times the walls, floors, roof, doors, windows, hearths, etc. are described – or not.
A. What kind of house is it?

B. What it is made of?

C. How big is it?

D. Is there any art to it?

E. What are the furnishings?

F. Did Tom build this house, or find it and move into it?

Any house shelters its inhabitants, but a house does not provide sustenance. A house tends to reflect fairly exactly what its inhabitants do for a living.
G. What does this house tell us about how Tom and Goldberry stay alive?

Bombadil’s House by Alan Lee (This is an odd composition for Lee,
but frankly there aren’t too many illustrations of Tom’s house,
and almost all of them are very bad.)

Food

In last week’s discussion the question came up of whether Tom and Goldberry expected the hobbits, and so had prepared a meal and the guest room ahead of time.
H. What evidence do we see that considerable notice would be needed for the hosts to put the party together?

I. Contrarily, what indicates that Tom and Goldberry are perfectly capable of doing it all in an hour or so?

J. What are the meals at chez Bombadil, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

K. What evidence is there of the various farm or pasture operations that would be needed to produce these meals?

Tom’s only explanation of what he does for a living comes at the end of the next chapter: ‘I’ve got things to do,’ he said: ‘my making and my singing, my talking and my walking, and my watching of the country. … Tom has his house to mind, and Goldberry is waiting.’
L. Is Tom’s lifestyle fantastic or realistic?

M. Does Tolkien spend more or less effort on balancing fantasy and reality in this chapter, than he does with the other houses and ways of living that we encounter in The Lord of the Rings?

In the House of Tom Bombadil by Anke-Katrin Eiszmann

Hospitality

Tom sings “we are fond of parties”. We know from this chapter that Tom knows Farmer Maggot well, and in “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil” one of Tom’s visits to Maggot features a hoedown and a feast – but he doesn’t stay the night. At the end of this book, Gandalf visits Tom, evidently not for the first time. Also in this chapter we find that Tom has heard from Gildor’s company about Frodo’s venture. Tom is familiar with Butterbur and the Pony at Bree. Strider knows who “old Bombadil” is. Elrond says that Tom was known by name to all the folk of the region in millennia past. At the Council, Gandalf says that Tom has “withdrawn into a little land.” To get to Tom’s house, you have to risk the fatal attractions of the Withywindle and the Willow, or cross the evil Barrow-downs.
N. Is Tom social, or anti-social?

O. Is the house built and furnished to accommodate more than two people?

P. If not, where are the hobbits sleeping and what are they sleeping on? If so, who else has Tom and Goldberry hosted and how frequently do guests come by?

Q. How does Tom behave when he is the guest, not the host?

One of the major, if mundane, themes in this chapter is the physical hospitality that the hobbits receive: shelter, beds, security, food, entertainment, refreshment, healing. There are quite a few other points in the story where similar hospitality is offered. For my final question, consider the architecture, furnishings, food, drink, entertainment, customs, and attitudes of the hosts and the psychological state of the guests on arrival and at departure.
R. How is the hobbits’ stay with Bombadil different from, and similar to, those at the other “refuges” that they find on their quest: Gildor’s camp; Maggot’s house; Crickhollow; The Prancing Pony; Rivendell; Lothlorien; Wellinghall; Henneth Annun? (Yes, huge question, so please only answer as much as interests you!)

Tom and the Hobbits (diptypch) by Anke-Katrin Eiszmann

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2015, 10:35pm

Post #2 of 14 (5317 views)
Shortcut
One thing about the rooms [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting that here the Hobbits have one seperate room each. This does seem for travellers at this time to be luxury in the extreme. One would have thought that they would have been paired up at the least. Frodo and Sam in one and Merry and Pippin in the other. This would have been more sociable, one supposes, Frodo and Sam might have had useful chats together and if they had been together maybe the dreams would be less scary. But obviously our Tom has lots of spare rooms. And doesn't charge single supplements.

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 26 2015, 11:35pm

Post #3 of 14 (5307 views)
Shortcut
No, the hobbits all sleep in one room together, in Tom's House [In reply to] Can't Post

There are "four deep mattresses...laid on the floor along one side" of a low room called in the text a "penthouse, it seemed" that had been "built onto the north end of the house".

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 26 2015, 11:47pm

Post #4 of 14 (5317 views)
Shortcut
what kind of house? A Magic House [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

So: Tom "built" his house, it is "made" of magic, and Tom keeps the magic. And the house. How that works I think is very, very, purposefully, fuzzy--by intention.

How big is it? That depends, I conjecture, on how many guests Tom is planning on. Is there always one little penthouse built onto the north side of the House? Maybe. Maybe there's sometimes more than one penthouse. Maybe there's no penthouse, if not needed at all.

For sure, there are not always four hobbit sized mattresses lined up on the floor---although why I say "for sure" about anything related to Tom, I don't know and can't defend when I pause to think about it.

In fact, I wonder if there is always a house at the end of that path "up, down, under hill" there. I think Tom and the House coexist, and if you don't meet Tom, you don't find his House. Ever.

In Reply To
M. Does Tolkien spend more or less effort on balancing fantasy and reality in this chapter, than he does with the other houses and ways of living that we encounter in The Lord of the Rings?

Less, I think. I think this chapter is written in lyrical, poetical mode. It is not intended to be realistic and it isn't. It's intended to set a mood, not answer questions or explain the mechanics of stuff. It's the closest thing (in my opinion) to actual Magic we get in LOTR.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2015, 1:13am

Post #5 of 14 (5314 views)
Shortcut
All the comforts of home at Tom's... [In reply to] Can't Post

The description of the Hobbits' room evokes comfort and soothing: A low, Hobbit-sized room, clean and fresh...deep mattresses, piled with blankets...steaming hot water, or cold, depending on your taste for refreshment...and soft green slippers.

Slippers? Hobbits wear slippers? Shocked

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 2:07am

Post #6 of 14 (5305 views)
Shortcut
Whoa, I didn't even notice that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Slippers? Hobbits wear slippers? Shocked

Hee hee.

The thing that caught my attention was the 4 mattresses w/blankets. Who has that many extra mattresses handy for unexpected guests? Especially when you live in the middle of an inaccessible forest and downs? I'm thinking there is magic afoot here, and it adjusts the amenities of the "penthouse" as needed.

#OneLastTime

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 4:50am

Post #7 of 14 (5302 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, could this be one thing that Bombadil is unaware of? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Slippers? Hobbits wear slippers?

We know Tom is buddy buddy with Maggot and Maggot lives on the Marish and (maybe) wears boots a lot? (Wasn’t Bamfurlong in the Marish?) And the slippers were possibly an inadvertent nicety as Bombadil might have been unaware that Hobbits prefer barefoot... ?

I don’t recall that Hobbits wore slippers, even in their Holes? Anyone?

Is Tom's 'magic' finite?

"Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow;
Bright blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow.
But Old Tom percieves four Hobbits ill at ease;
So it's slippers for all to help you fellows mellow."

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 27 2015, 12:15pm

Post #8 of 14 (5293 views)
Shortcut
well--there were rushes on the floor [In reply to] Can't Post

The floor of the room they slept in was strewn with "fresh green rushes". I'd assume, since they were "fresh" they weren't in mats, just loose on the floor.

The slippers probably are a touch of comfort for walking on the rushes, which I don't really know about from experience, but imagine could be prickly underfoot.

Or maybe the slippers are not necessary for hobbits, but just comfortable and warm on a cold flagstone floor. A signal of hospitality, more than a necessity.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 27 2015, 2:59pm

Post #9 of 14 (5287 views)
Shortcut
yes, I think so [In reply to] Can't Post

It;'s more than usually an outgrowth of Tom and Goldberry's personalities, whether they grew it, or sang it into existence, or made it by conventional means (Tom has had a long time to practice all the practical crafts).

Also,no idea whether the house would have looked at all the same if, say Thorin Oakenshield & party had happened upon it.

I think as well that there is a sense of the hobbits being as child-guests: they are entertained and catered for without having at all to wonder where all these goods and comestibles are coming from. There's perhaps a Bountiful Nature thing going on here.

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 12:40am

Post #10 of 14 (5277 views)
Shortcut
A little too perfect to be real? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for hosting this chapter, Squire!

The feel of this chapter to me is like a return to the Shire, where everything is comfortable, familiar, and safe, and there's plenty of food. After the difficulty of traversing the Old Forest and nearly being killed by a cantankerous tree, it all feels refreshing, but is it a little too perfect? By that, I wonder if it's more like a fairy tale refuge, similar to Beorn's home in The Hobbit, where animals deliver food to you. It seems a little invented on the fly, in contrast to other refuges like Rivendell, Lorien, and Henneth Annun, which feel deeply constructed--there's nothing whimsical about them. Tom's house seems like pure whimsy with some serious moments stirred in (like Frodo putting on the Ring) to remind us we're still in an epic.

I can't see Rivendell or Lorien magically adapting to arriving guests, but that somehow seems possible in this chapter. Where do Tom and Goldberry get all that food from, anyway? If 2 people live isolated in a forest, they won't put on a table like that. I'm tempted to say that Tom conjures things out of thin air, but that kind of magic doesn't seem to exist in LOTR, so I suppose we're not meant to analyze things too closely and just accept that this is well-stocked cabin which conveniently has 4 mattresses available. (Not 3, not 5 or 6.) Or does Tom buy a lot of food from the Shire, with Maggot as a middle man? What does he buy it with? Or do people give him things just to stop the silly singing?

Antisocial, or not? It is odd how many people know him, but the Brandybucks (in the person of Merry) don't. Later when Tom gathers the treasure from the Barrow-down, he'll pick out a piece of jewelry in memory of the woman who once wore it--did he once attend royal dinners or hunts in Arnor? It is implied he gets out a lot. He also seems to know what Black Riders are when Frodo mentions them--how? The enigmas never end.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 1:21pm

Post #11 of 14 (5267 views)
Shortcut
Universal welcome? [In reply to] Can't Post

Given how much Tom & Goldberry gush over their guests to make them feel welcome, do you suppose this is
1. reserved for hobbits in danger that Gildor has warned them about?
2. open to all hobbits?
3. open to Rangers too?

And if GIldor sends messages to Tom somehow, do the Elves ever stay with him, and if so, do they get more than 4 mattresses?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 7:38pm

Post #12 of 14 (5254 views)
Shortcut
One can wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

..what would happen to a squint-eyed southerner?

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 8:20pm

Post #13 of 14 (5343 views)
Shortcut
People in stone houses shouldn't throw glass. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll light the fire, you place the flowers
In the vase that you bought today

Staring at the fire for hours and hours
While I listen to you play your love songs
All night long for me, only for me

Come to me now, and rest your head
For just five minutes, everything is done

Such a cozy room, the windows are illuminated
By the evening sunshine through them
Fiery gems for you, only for you

Our house, is a very, very, very fine house
With two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy, 'cause of you – Graham Nash, 1969

Ooo! Déjà vu!!

A. What kind of house is it?

Sounds very much like an old English coaching inn. Of course probably the best description of coaching inns is from Charles Dickens’ The Pickwick Papers. For example:

A stout country lad opened a door at the end of the passage, and the three friends entered a long, low-roofed room, furnished with a large number of high-backed leather-cushioned chairs, of fantastic shapes, and embellished with a great variety of old portraits and roughly-coloured prints of some antiquity. At the upper end of the room was a table, with a white cloth upon it, well covered with a roast fowl, bacon, ale, and et ceteras; and at the table sat Mr. Tupman, looking as unlike a man who had taken his leave of the world, as possible.

B. What it is made of?

Seems to be made of “clean stone”. A “clean stone” (piedra limpas) is flawless. That is, it has no joints, fissures, or veins which might make the stone fracture when cut. As opposed to “defective stone” (piedra defectuosa) which has visible flaws, or “rotten stone” (piedra podrida) which is crumbly.

C. How big is it?

Big enough for a large common room, a large bedroom with four beds, quarters for Tom and Goldberry, a kitchen-garden, stables for at least five ponies, a very large pantry, a feedroom, a fireplace, and stairs.

D. Is there any art to it?

Any time you walk into a house with lots of burning candles set out everywhere you can be sure there’s art all over the place.

E. What are the furnishings?

Table and chairs for six, though I wonder if more people arrived it and the room would be bigger. A guest room with four beds, but again I can’t help but think it’s expandable.

F. Did Tom build this house, or find it and move into it?

He does point out a bunch of ruins and talk about past kingdoms here. The thing about any natural hill, due to their defensive advantage, there’s always been something built previously there. So he at least rebuilt from ruins.

(Then again, if it’s an unnatural hill, the house of Tom Bombadil might well be atop a grave. No wonder Tom can command the barrow wights!!)

Any house shelters its inhabitants, but a house does not provide sustenance. A house tends to reflect fairly exactly what its inhabitants do for a living.
G. What does this house tell us about how Tom and Goldberry stay alive?

Entertain guests.

Food

In last week’s discussion the question came up of whether Tom and Goldberry expected the hobbits, and so had prepared a meal and the guest room ahead of time.
H. What evidence do we see that considerable notice would be needed for the hosts to put the party together?

Besides the food and table settings, the furnishing of the guest room (strewn with fresh green rushes); four (not three or five) deep mattresses each piled with white blankets (apparently without the dinginess or musty smell of long unused bedding), brown ewers filled with cold or steaming hot water, and four (not three or five) pairs of soft green presumably hobbit-sized slippers beside each bed. Then presumably there’s fresh stall bedding and sufficient feed and fodder for five ponies,

(BTW, for another Dickens connection I could mention Mr. Mantalili’s bright green slippers in Nicholas Nickleby, but I won’t.)

I. Contrarily, what indicates that Tom and Goldberry are perfectly capable of doing it all in an hour or so?

It's maaaaagic! Probably have a bunch of house-elves chained up in the kitchen. Note they won’t let the hobbits go in there. How suspicious!

J. What are the meals at chez Bombadil, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Typical English coaching inn fare.

Mr. Pickwick found that his three companions had risen, and were waiting his arrival to commence breakfast, which was ready laid in tempting display. They sat down to the meal; and broiled ham, eggs, tea, coffee and sundries, began to disappear with a rapidity which at once bore testimony to the excellence of the fare, and the appetites of its consumers.
-The Pickwick Papers

K. What evidence is there of the various farm or pasture operations that would be needed to produce these meals?

None. Hidden farms and guerilla gardening. Good thing the Rangers don’t have access to eagles so they could use aerial reconnaissance to pick out those suspicious green patches in the forest.

Tom’s only explanation of what he does for a living comes at the end of the next chapter: ‘I’ve got things to do,’ he said: ‘my making and my singing, my talking and my walking, and my watching of the country. … Tom has his house to mind, and Goldberry is waiting.’
L. Is Tom’s lifestyle fantastic or realistic?

Fantastic unless you live in the Emerald Triangle of northern California, then it’s pretty typical.

This is a liminal episode. We’re on the threshold between the world of The Hobbit and that of The Lord of the Rings. It is a transition from fantasy to reality. Tolkien’s about to get very serious about the Green Sun.

Hospitality

Tom sings “we are fond of parties”. We know from this chapter that Tom knows Farmer Maggot well, and in “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil” one of Tom’s visits to Maggot features a hoedown and a feast – but he doesn’t stay the night. At the end of this book, Gandalf visits Tom, evidently not for the first time. Also in this chapter we find that Tom has heard from Gildor’s company about Frodo’s venture. Tom is familiar with Butterbur and the Pony at Bree. Strider knows who “old Bombadil” is. Elrond says that Tom was known by name to all the folk of the region in millennia past. At the Council, Gandalf says that Tom has “withdrawn into a little land.” To get to Tom’s house, you have to risk the fatal attractions of the Withywindle and the Willow, or cross the evil Barrow-downs.
N. Is Tom social, or anti-social?

Seems more a Prepper than a Survivalist. A Prepper usually likes to maintain a certain level of comfort and sociability. A Survivalist tends to go minimalist as far as food, shelter, and company goes.

O. Is the house built and furnished to accommodate more than two people?

Sometimes.

P. If not, where are the hobbits sleeping and what are they sleeping on?

A stone walled room with stone floors and a stone shelf with stone basins. Everything built to be easily hosed down.

Sounds suspiciously like an abattoir to me.

If so, who else has Tom and Goldberry hosted and how frequently do guests come by?

That’s exactly what the Dúnedain Bureau of Missing Persons would like to know.

Q. How does Tom behave when he is the guest, not the host?

We might cull from clues from Bombadil Goes Boating:

Violent:

"No names, you tell-tale, or I'll skin and eat you,
babbling in every ear things that don't concern you!
If you tell Willow-man where I've gone, I'll burn you,
roast you on a willow-spit. That'll end your prying!"

Sullen:

Tom stumped along the road, as the light was falling.
Rushey lamps gleamed ahead. He heard a voice him hailing.
"Whoa there!" Ponies stopped, wheels halted sliding.
Tom went plodding past, never looked beside him.

Disreputable:

"Ho there! beggarman tramping in the Marish!
What's your business here? Hat all stuck with arrows!
Someone's warned you off, caught you at your sneaking?”

Insulting:

”You old farmer fat that cannot walk for wheezing,
cart-drawn like a sack, ought to be more pleasing.
Penny-wise tub-on-legs! A beggar can't be a chooser,
or else I'd bid you go, and you would be the loser.”

Squirmy:

Laughing they drove away, in Rushey never halting,
though the inn open stood and they could smell the malting.
They turned down Maggot's Lane, rattling and bumping,
Tom in the farmer's cart dancing round and jumping.

Life of the party:

Songs they had and merry tales, the supping and the dancing;
Goodman Maggot there for all his belt was prancing,
Tom did a hornpipe when he was not quaffing,
Daughters did the Springle-ring, goodwife did the laughing.

Gossipy:

When others went to bed in hay, fern or feather,
close in the inglenook they laid their heads together,
old Tom and Muddy-feet, swapping all the tidings
from Barrow-downs to Tower Hills: of walking and ridings;
or wheat-ear and barley-corn, of sowing and of reaping;
queer tales from Bree, and talk at smithy, mill, and cheaping;
rumours in whispering trees, south-wind in the larches,
tall Watchers by the Ford, Shadows on the marshes.

Sneaky:

Ere dawn Tom was gone: as dreams one half remembers,
some merry, some sad, and some of hidden warnings.
None heard the door unlocked; a shower of rain at morning
his footprints washed away, at Mithe he left no traces,
at Hays-end they heard no song nor sound of heavy paces.

One of the major, if mundane, themes in this chapter is the physical hospitality that the hobbits receive: shelter, beds, security, food, entertainment, refreshment, healing. There are quite a few other points in the story where similar hospitality is offered. For my final question, consider the architecture, furnishings, food, drink, entertainment, customs, and attitudes of the hosts and the psychological state of the guests on arrival and at departure.
R. How is the hobbits’ stay with Bombadil different from, and similar to, those at the other “refuges” that they find on their quest:

Gildor’s camp;

A bit magical as far as the food and where it came from.

Maggot’s house;

Nice and hobbity in comfort and food.

Crickhollow;

Definitely a hobbit hole that means comfort.

The Prancing Pony;

Much like the Long Expected Party, with food, drink, song, comfy beds, and a disreputable disturber of the peace.

Rivendell;

Probably the most like the House of Bombadil. Like Bombadil’s there always seemed more to it. As Sam says `It's a big house this, and very peculiar. Always a bit more to discover, and no knowing what you'll find round a corner.

Lothlorien;

As comfortable and jolly as the House of Bombadil, yet as dangerous as the night outside Bombadil’s doors.

Wellinghall;

Definitely not as well furnished as Bombadil’s. The night danger is further away. Sufficient liquid nutrients, but still compelled to enjoy some solid food in the form of their elf-cake.

Henneth Annun?

Monastic food and shelter. Frodo and Sam are pretty much prisoners held for trial and judgment. Probably the most perilous of all the refuges. Very interesting since it is here that we encounter the closest thing to the ritual of organized religion in the book. This means something.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 31 2015, 8:24pm

Post #14 of 14 (5273 views)
Shortcut
Late! Apologies and some thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
L. Is Tom’s lifestyle fantastic or realistic? I think to Tom - and what he may represent in his self-created land - his lifestyle is realistic. He clearly has a daily regimen; he and Goldberry require and procure sustenance. They have daily tasks as well as larger plans. This is all dependent, of course, on suspending some disbelief: but in the world we have seen so far, of a magic ring and sentient trees, this isn't as much of a stretch. So I would call Tom provisionally realistic, well within the boundaries of a fairy-tale. As such, I don't find his lifestyle improbable. It may be one of the literary functions that Tolkien had for Tom, having added him to the tale in a way that moves the story forward in a cerebral, philosophical fashion versus a linear one: a sign post to the reader that the story landscape has truly changed. I have posted before that I find a 'feel' very much like Alice through the looking glass here in Tom's house... not the full story, but just that sense of an altered view of what actually IS.

“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
Thanks, Mad Hatter. That really clears that bit up.Wink

M. Does Tolkien spend more or less effort on balancing fantasy and reality in this chapter, than he does with the other houses and ways of living that we encounter in The Lord of the Rings? I think he does do a fairly good job of balancing it, having decided to add the pre-existing Tom into the legendarium. He can't be anyplace else, I don't think. He has to be removed from the Elves - who feel to me like the real workhorses of JRRT's fantasy and moral voice. He can't just be a Breelander, because his contrast to Men and his approach to the world are one of our mirrors (tricksy things). He has to be alone, I think, set among the trees. In JRRT's mind, this means something. And he cannot be seen any later, not after the story takes heavier tones. I think too in delineating the history of Middle-earth, his presence must be made Real and thus we must see him before the Council of Elrond. So the balancing act may be in creating some legitimacy to what appears fanciful and anomalous. Again, the Elves do the work there. It is not, for example, as good a balancing as I see in such cultures as the Rohirrim, or the silent Rangers carrying on the legacy of Numenor. Maybe Tom is an example of something created in singularity first (in earlier writings) and legitimized later?
I like the question I have seen posed, as to whether Tom represents an enigma or an anomaly. I think he began as an anomaly and ended up as an enigma.

Hospitality

Is Tom social, or anti-social?
Is the house built and furnished to accommodate more than two people?
If not, where are the hobbits sleeping and what are they sleeping on? If so, who else has Tom and Goldberry hosted and how frequently do guests come by?
I think again its a question of proportion and significance: in Tom's world, where his land means all and his borders are his own, he is social within his own context. The Ring means nothing to Tom; power means nothing to Tom; the affairs of Men as well are without significance. Tom interacts daily with what matters to him: Goldberry, the land, the trees. I feel like Tom's house might be potentially ready for whomever crosses his border. As connected as Tom is to the land, I think he may know of anyone the moment they enter his space. I like to think that the soft bed and wine for Gandalf are made ready the moment he rides into the neighborhood to have a long talk with Tom.

Thanks for hosting this chapter Squire!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.