Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Theodora
The Shire

Jan 27 2015, 9:23pm

Post #26 of 47 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Enjoyed Wolf Hall too [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to the second episode on BBC television tomorrow night.
I read the books and liked them. Hopefully the third will be published soon.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 5:01pm

Post #27 of 47 (1366 views)
Shortcut
I adore "Luscious" [In reply to] Can't Post

as he will always be to me. I thought he was marvelous in "Peter Pan" (and very sexy).

Did you see him in "Good" with Viggo?

He strikes me as just the type for Hollywood to "discover" as their next imported-from-Britain villain of some blockbuster.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 28 2015, 5:07pm

Post #28 of 47 (1364 views)
Shortcut
I really enjoy that version of Hamlet [In reply to] Can't Post

I love what Branagh did direction-wise with Polonius. As well as how he was played by Richard Briers.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 9:50pm

Post #29 of 47 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis [In reply to] Can't Post

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is the latest DC Universe original animated movie from Warner Home Video. The story is okay; I don't like some of the characterizations. Hal Jordan/Green Lantern is too much like Ryan Reynolds movie version (despite being voiced by Nathan Fillion); Shazam is a whiny kid in an adult's body. What was interesting was that Arthur Curry (Aquaman) wanted a normal life and not the responibility of becoming a king--Arthur Curry was Aquagorn!

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 12:33am

Post #30 of 47 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on Isaacs [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of me imagines him casted as the uber-evil father of an evil Tom Hiddleston character. Or maybe Cumberbatch. Or...maybe both.

I do miss seeing him as often on screen, regardless of the role.

(Actually, I could see him as a Bond villain, now that I think of it.)

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jan 29 2015, 12:34am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 12:34am

Post #31 of 47 (1345 views)
Shortcut
no I haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

He had a US tv show, Awake, which I thought was pretty interesting but it got cancelled after one season. Broadcast tv is kind of the pits, right now. I think they're chasing some unicorn in terms of their desired shows and responses.

I watched him in The State Within and liked it a lot.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 29 2015, 12:41am

Post #32 of 47 (1341 views)
Shortcut
My first Hamlet was Derek Jacobi. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the 80s BBC series.

He was probably a little long in the tooth for the role, even 30+ years ago, but he was terrific anyway (naturally).

And Patrick Stewart was great as Claudius. (Even though I had no idea who he was back then.)

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2015, 12:47am

Post #33 of 47 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Just. Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

That version of The Manchurian Candidate is in my top 10 films...ever. And say what one will about singer-to-actor crossovers, Sinatra was just perfect. As was everyone else. The shifting perspectives of the mind-wash, with reality phasing in and out of the garden club. Whew.

Angela was truly amazing - so angrily seductive, so focused. Having first seen her for years in Murder She Wrote, that role was an eye-opener! I also had the pleasure of meeting her in high school - they filmed the external European/Italian portions of 'Rage of Angels' at my high school.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jan 29 2015, 9:08pm

Post #34 of 47 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Agree Smith [In reply to] Can't Post

I could also talk about Birdman for hours after just having seen it. Fantastic movie, easily my favourite of the year so far. 9/10.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 12:12am

Post #35 of 47 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I've been watching most of season 1 of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda [In reply to] Can't Post

for the first time in about 10 years. Mostly, it's the way I remembered it, a decent SF show with characters I liked and better than average understanding of real world science. The bad episodes are worse than I remembered. But the good ones, like Angel Dark Demon Bright, Mathematics of Tears, Star-Crossed, and Its Hour Come Round At Last, have held up, and were as good as anything else on TV in 2001. Now I remember why I bought these DVDs. Time to move on to season 2...

Did I mention Lexa Doig as Rommie? Heart and Heart and Heart again.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Kim
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 4:43am

Post #36 of 47 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal, plus a few others [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I watched the next 3 eps (S1, eps 5-7), mostly from behind my blanket. There were some really gory scenes. Really, really hoping I can stick with it, I could see some of the psychological thriller stuff coming out more, like the scene with Gillian Anderson - looking forward to seeing more of her. Also watched a bts bit on the "culinary arts" in the show - that was almost completely from behind my blanket. I think I may need to become a vegetarian.

Also watched Downtown Abbey (OK), Sleepy Hollow (hey, it's HG Wells!), and Agent Carter (hey, the new girl is a ninja!) Have also been seeing ads for the next season of Broadchurch, and forgot that I'd noticed James D'Arcy is in that too. Cool.

#OneLastTime

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 5:02am

Post #37 of 47 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Coherence [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in my Netflix queue. And surely I put it there because no one else puts things in my Netflix queue. But I knew nothing about it which means I read some random comment about it and thought, hmmm ... let me check this out. And then didn't give it another thought (or more investigation) because I kind of like to do that with movies. Go in cold. I had to actually look up the genre to tell my husband because he apparently needs to know all sorts of stuff and then decides to visit the Corvair forum or watch youtube videos of people blowing up stuff anyhow.

So, here's the random comment you are running across.

Interesting. Might want to check it out. It's only 88 minutes long so what do you have to lose?

Need more?

Here's a teensy bit more.

The director/writer came up with the idea for Coherence because he wanted to test the idea of shooting a film "without a crew and without a script." It was shot in his home with a cast of 8 people.

A character references Schrödinger's cat calling it, (I think) a 'thought experiment'. That describes the movie.

5 movies/shows I thought of while I watching (not to say Coherence strongly reminded me of them but there were essences of similarities): Primer, Moon, The One I Love, Twilight Zone, and Memento.

Okay, if you wish for something a bit more concrete, let me quote from an article (I'll give a link later):
Coherence director and story co-writer James Ward Byrkit likes to refer to his low-budget, improvised thriller as a “funhouse.” But Coherence isn’t a jump-scare movie, or a “gotcha” shocker full of cheap parlor tricks; instead, this taut, disarming drama plays out like a great Twilight Zone episode, taking an everyday situation (in this case, a dinner party of eight friends) and giving it a smart sci-fi twist.

And if you now need to know what I thought before you dip in (I'm being a bit wicked, I think...)

I spent the first 10 minutes thinking, 'if the whole movie's like this I'm going to be annoyed.' Maybe it was all 'like that' but I stopped being annoyed fairly quickly. There's a lot going on stylistically that I think is quite deliberate.

I liked reading this interview with Byrkit. A Super-Spoilery Interview With the Director of 'Coherence,' the Twistiest Movie of the Year (this is the article the quote above is from).

I don't think Coherence is the best movie I've ever seen but I might actually watch it again before sending it back. And I think I appreciate what the director was going for quite a bit.

Recommended if you liked any of those other 5 movies/shows I listed above. And it's only 88 minutes long so what do you have to lose?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 6:35am

Post #38 of 47 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Pssst, Magpie (Nothing to do with Coherence sorry) [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you seen The Selfish Giant, which I posted about further up the thread? I would be very interested in your response to it.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jan 30 2015, 4:42pm

Post #39 of 47 (1299 views)
Shortcut
On tv the other night I caught [In reply to] Can't Post

the 1991 version of Robin Hood starring Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman. At the time it was totally eclipsed by the more showy Costner version, but to be honest I think this is the better film, if less visually stunning. It's much more gritty and down-to-earth, the haircuts more appropriate to the period, costumes less glamorous, Saxon/Norman dynamic clearer, atmosphere more smoky etc. Cheshire and North Wales feature in the locations, which is good for me as any of them would be reachable for a day trip or even an afternoon out. For those who love the legend and enjoy seeing it interpreted in different ways, this retelling is worth watching if you can find it.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2015, 4:58pm

Post #40 of 47 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen "The One I Love"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Coherence at a film festival, and I liked it. I met up with my siblings after, and while talking over the movies we had seen that evening, it seemed like we all saw the same movie! They saw "The One I Love", which has a similar plot, and they LOVED it. Raved all week about it. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 5:08pm

Post #41 of 47 (1287 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Winter's Bone but it was a hard watch. I went into it not knowing this but knowing it upfront (like for Selfish Giant) I have to kind of steel myself.

But I put it in my Netflix queue and I'll be sure to post after I watch it.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2015, 5:12pm

Post #42 of 47 (1288 views)
Shortcut
I have seen it [In reply to] Can't Post

It was one of the movies I listed as being similar to Coherence. Those two are probably the closest in similarities.

I like seeing people stretch out in the medium. I went to Pacific Rim, Avengers, and Godzila. But would I want to watch only that type of movie? No. I love having options and I hope that enough people watch movies like The One I Love and Coherence to keep filmmakers doing out of the mainstream films.

I can't say I LOVED The One I Love. :-) But I enjoyed it and appreciated it and it made me think and go read what other people were saying about it. I'm sure I reviewed here and I think you responded by mentioning Coherence. I did a search to see if anyone had reviewed Coherence and your post came up. Otherwise, I don't think anyone (maybe one person?) mentioned watching it.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2015, 7:16pm

Post #43 of 47 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Oops, looks like we've been going in circles [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought when I was responding that the conversation seemed familiar, and no wonder. I'm hoping to see The One I Love and do my own comparison.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2015, 7:39pm

Post #44 of 47 (1279 views)
Shortcut
I totally cheated with The Selfish Giant, [In reply to] Can't Post

and read a synopsis before watching, because I knew it had horses in it. That way I could decide if I would manage to watch it.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 10:35pm

Post #45 of 47 (1272 views)
Shortcut
I really liked 'Awake'// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2015, 10:44pm

Post #46 of 47 (1276 views)
Shortcut
I loved him in Case Histories [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they had done more episodes. That reminds me - I need to put Kate Atkinson on my list of authors to read.

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 1 2015, 4:26am

Post #47 of 47 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Just got back from American Sniper - very good. [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.