Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are 5 things from the trilogy that was jarring for you.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jan 27 2015, 9:01pm

Post #51 of 55 (249 views)
Shortcut
Put It to the test remove it and see what happens [In reply to] Can't Post

4. Running and jumping. Enter the video-game method of film-making. Goblin-town, the Forges of Erebor. So many silly chase scenes with no drama, no consequences, no one getting hurt or really in trouble at any point. Running and jumping need to fit with the narrative, not interrupt it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see I am having an interesting exchange with DM about the type of film making the forges represent. I would like to tie that and your comment together.

The acid test is if you remove a section of action does it affect the narrative outcome. Take three examples :-

1) Remove the post blast chase by Gandalf on the Goblin King except Bilbo seeing his friends dash by.

2) Remove all of the barrels sequence except a sniper archer shooting Kili and Tauriel capturing Nazburg.

3) Remove the entire forges scene after Bilbo has got the drake mad as a box of frogs.

If you edit out those sequences the character development and story telling or (development of the narrative) is entirely unaffected. Indeed with the forges Thorin's developing dragon sickness is side stepped and hijacked momentarily.

Whereas if Gandalf hadn't turned up, Bilbo hadn't rescued them from their cells and Bilbo hadn't had his meeting with Smaug the story collapses.

The same applies to a separate conversation about Ryan Cages performance. In DOS he is the perfect foil for the Master and adds bandwidth to the Masters personality we see him more clearly through Alfrid's eyes having only just met him. In BOFA if you remove all of his contribution Bard whom we have known for half a movie and just killed the dragon remains intact in our mind.

The crying shame of BOFA is that neither Thranduil or Legolas were given the chance to endorse the heir of Girion, a house they would have known for hundreds of years or Dain begin his unique friendship with the house of Girion which would be the basis of the remarkable heroic stand at the end of the third age. Thats story telling !

As I am sure you are not interested in rules around your five points my 6th one is Legolas. Orlando is easy to like and he has made a great success of being involved in number of block buster franchises but he can act and could have been wound into the fabric of the story telling and completed his arc in a much more satisfying way reinforcing Thranduil, Bard and Tauriel rather than being involved in the empty stand off with Bolg.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

elostirion74
Rohan

Jan 28 2015, 8:04pm

Post #52 of 55 (204 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

The most jarring thing for me was the distortion of two central supporting characters and how it not only weakened their characterization, but also the main narrative. The angle they took with Thranduil nearly wholly reduced him to a device to promote a back story for Legolas and it also weakened the cohesion of the main story, since it made the Woodland Realm and Lake Town into two separate stories. The Master of Lake Town was first reduced to a figure almost wholly devoid of complexity and then prematurely removed from the story, which for me drained the main story for tension and nuances/interesting conflicts.

The second most jarring thing for me was the excessive copying from the LoTR trilogy in DoS and especially BoTFA and the rather heavy handed nods/references to LoTR they chose to insert in the same films.

The third jarring thing was the clunky editing of the last films and the forced attempt to combine dialogue straight from the book with tie ins to LoTR at the end of the story.

Lindarielwen
Bree

Jan 29 2015, 2:20pm

Post #53 of 55 (180 views)
Shortcut
give it a try! [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas walking on falling rocks
Tauriel kissing Kíli
Azog floating around under ice and still alive
Thranduil’s moose
Legolas and Tauriel in general

~*If I consistently reach out to people, to form relationships, to put persons above things, I will be named ‘beloved,’ and my heart and my life will expand to encompass sorrow with beauty, joy more than pleasure, faith, hope, and above all, love.*~

Felagund
Rohan

Jan 30 2015, 12:52pm

Post #54 of 55 (147 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really like your methodology.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Felagund
Rohan

Jan 30 2015, 1:03pm

Post #55 of 55 (164 views)
Shortcut
and another thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have only seen the film once, so correct me if I'm wrong... Didn't we get an 'epic' slow mo scene of Thorin & Co. tooling up in Erebor as the Bot5A was about to kick off? Then later on they've all changed back into their usual leather armour, while the conflict is still going. Maybe PJ et al. thought this was great symbolism, but the practical implications of Thorin actually discarding great armour just before he goes off to fight Azog are pretty stupid. Picky, I know.

Also we have Legolas getting lots of exposure to the realities of combat, death and so on in Bot5A but in the LotR films he seems so otherworldly and even a bit mystified by mortality.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.