Where is the Advanced Editor: inserting pic in post

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2015, 7:04pm

Post #1 of 19 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Where is the Advanced Editor: inserting pic in post Can't Post

Hi,

I would like to insert a pic into a post, and have read how to do that, but where is the Advanced Editor that I need to have in order to finish the process? I look in the dropdown under "Post Style" and it only lists: Markup & HTML, HTML, Markup, and Plain Text Only.

And I cannot find the photo (or picture) icon anywhere on my icon choices. (And I cannot figure out what some of those icons are anyways. But I think the one that would be for pictures would be fairly obvious, or I'm misinterpreting some of them).

I have a Macbook Pro laptop. Does that make a difference in having the Advanced Editor available to use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2015, 7:17pm

Post #2 of 19 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Um...I don't have Advanced Editor either... [In reply to] Can't Post

That feature is only available in certain browsers.

Here's how I insert a pic in a post, using the Inline feature:
First, make sure it's on my hard drive and fits within the posting guidelines (see http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...age/inline_image.htm) AND has a name with no spaces or underlines (for some reason, on my Mac the Inline feature only likes alphanumerics in names).

Then use the Attachment feature at the bottom of the text box to upload it.
And use [Inline pic_name.jpg] to insert it. (I used an underline in the name, so the code would be visible.)

You can also link to an image stored online by using:
{image]http://urlofimagegoeshere[/image], but replace that first { with a [.

And there are other ways - which others will probably chime in about! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 7:22pm

Post #3 of 19 (1657 views)
Shortcut
dernwyn's right - Chrome and Safari don't have Advanced Editor capabilities [In reply to] Can't Post

I use Chrome. I have considered switching to Firefox just for TORn but find it's easier just to write the code I need. Of course, I write it on my computer and the more I use a cell phone for visiting TORn, the more I realize that some of the things I do on the computer are difficult if not almost impossible on the phone.

And you don't have that option, I don't think.

So... I write the code and just keep things simple! :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 7:35pm

Post #4 of 19 (1643 views)
Shortcut
I use Firefox only for TORn, [In reply to] Can't Post

specifically so I can use advanced editor. I use Chrome for everything else.
My internet access with Firefox is much slower than Chrome, and Firefox is always dropping the connection, so it is quite frustrating at times.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2015, 7:40pm

Post #5 of 19 (1639 views)
Shortcut
I gave up Chrome for that reason [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus it made TORn a weird, dull color for me. I use Advanced Editor so often I went back to IE. I only need Chrome for voting in the Brackets when that is going on.

For me IE works but then I don't do much else online sites-wise. I know many people prefer Chrome for a number of reasons.

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 8:31pm

Post #6 of 19 (1636 views)
Shortcut
I am totally chromed on everything so... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I have to post a pic I go to my desktop and pull TORn up in IE so that I can use advanced editor. It is (if the wonderful Admins here don't mind my saying so) a royal pain for us Chrome and Google cloud people to not be able to use advanced editor in Chrome. And I can't figure picture posting out in Basic Editor because user difficulties.

Tongue

That said, it's a small price to pay to be here. So I don't really mind.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2015, 3:47am

Post #7 of 19 (1623 views)
Shortcut
what am I doing wrong? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dernwyn,

I tried as you suggested and all it showed in my post was:
[Inline pic_Sherlock.jpg]

It didn't show the photo. I uploaded it fine but then I went to insert it into my post, I put my cursor where I wanted it and typed in what is above. What am I doing wrong?

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2015, 3:52am

Post #8 of 19 (1620 views)
Shortcut
I have to hit the space bar, [In reply to] Can't Post

then highlight that, and the picture icon goes active. When I click on the picture icon, there's a tab that says "inline image" or something similar. I can choose the uploaded image and insert.

Hope that helps! I'm working from memory, so I might not be 100% right. Inserting a picture requires several attempts for me!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 4:54am

Post #9 of 19 (1611 views)
Shortcut
if the name of your image is Sherlock.jpg... [In reply to] Can't Post

then write the code as :

[Inline Sherlock.jpg]

not :

[Inline pic_Sherlock.jpg]

When someone supplies a 'dummy' name with an underscore like that, they are assuming that you will replace the every connected character before .jpg with the name of your file.

Dernwyn used the dummy pic_name.jpg and the dummy name of the her imaginary jpg was "pic_name"

So you would replace "pic_name" with your image name which I suspect is called Sherlock.

Lots of people think that the pic_ is part of the code. It's not. It's part of the dummy name.

The sample code on the Markup Help page is: [inline attachment_filename.gif]

and people think they should substitute the name of their image so that it reads: [inline attachment_mypicname.gif] when they need to replace the "attachment_" as well so it will read: [inline mypicname.gif]

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2015, 4:55am

Post #10 of 19 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately that doesn't work for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I hit the spacebar several times, highlight it, and no picture icon appears. I suppose it is indeed the fact that I use Safari. I'm awaiting feedback from Dernwyn, who seems to be able to do it.

Thanks anyways!!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 5:00am

Post #11 of 19 (1603 views)
Shortcut
did you see my response? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2015, 5:04am

Post #12 of 19 (1607 views)
Shortcut
THANK YOU!!! Dernwyn and Magpie!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm such a technical idiot....I need things spelled out for me or I won't figure it out.

Thank you both again!!!
SmileSmile

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 5:08am

Post #13 of 19 (1600 views)
Shortcut
I look forward to [In reply to] Can't Post

vast numbers of images from you!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2015, 5:10am

Post #14 of 19 (1601 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Let's hope they didn't open a Pandora's Box! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to contain myself.

At least I won't be competing with Avandel with pics of Thorin. I think she cornered the market. But now there's Sherlock.......heh heh.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 5:12am

Post #15 of 19 (1605 views)
Shortcut
It's my favorite avocation... [In reply to] Can't Post

helping people do things like this that they're struggling with.

I've learned never to assume knowledge.

Internet image files can't have spaces. So those of us who know and understand that know that the name of the image in the sample code is pic_filename.

But if one has never had to understand how internet files are named might easily think that there's something magical about that pic_ (or attachment_ ) part of the sample code and that needs to be in the code for their picture.

It doesn't. It can't be.

You're not the first person to be confused and I do pretty well at this stuff and I got confused by that when I switched to basic editor.

I actually don't think using that kind of underscore name for sample codes is a good idea. I think it's ripe for confusion.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2015, 5:15am

Post #16 of 19 (1594 views)
Shortcut
And I'm over-ripe for being confused! [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, confusion is something I excel at!

Thanks again!Cool

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2015, 6:11am

Post #17 of 19 (1609 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope they did! [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to think of it as a competition with Avandel, more like supplementation. Always good to have more Thorin pics, like say, this one:

Laugh

#OneLastTime

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2015, 1:54pm

Post #18 of 19 (1590 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about that, that's why I'd put in that note about including an underline in the sample picture name so that the code would be visible (since it doesn't work with an underline or space)! Smile

And now that you've mastered the fine art of picture-posting, there's no telling where it will lead you to...Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 9:29pm

Post #19 of 19 (1609 views)
Shortcut
The code works with an underline [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a picture that is named j_r.jpg

And I wrote the code {inline j_r.jpg} with square instead of fancy brackets which displays that picture:

I think the only reason your code 'was visible' and didn't work (to display a picture) is because there was no picture attached. I don't think having an underscore in there was pertinent to it being visible as code or displaying an image.

When I write a code for j_m.jpg and don't attach an image with that name, it is visible and it doesn't display any picture.

[inline j_m.jpg]

So I think it really works best not to try to include those underscore examples. I say this because, like I said, it confused me (and I think I do pretty well with online/code stuff - better than average anyhow) and it's confused more than one person who's asked for help on feedback.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.