Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who Is Your Favorite Member of the White Council (with 1 exception)?
Poll: Who Is Your Favorite Member of the White Council (with 1 exception)?
Saruman the White 7 / 15%
Galadriel 11 / 23%
Elrond 12 / 25%
Glorfindel 10 / 21%
Cirdan 3 / 6%
Celeborn 0 / 0%
Erestor 0 / 0%
Radagast the Brown 5 / 10%
48 total votes

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 5:20am

Post #1 of 13 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Who Is Your Favorite Member of the White Council (with 1 exception)? Can't Post

I'm leaving Gandalf out of this because I figured he would run away with it. I'm not sure if a lot of these are technically on the Council but I wanted to include them anyways to give more options.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 12:46pm

Post #2 of 13 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Looks okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that you can make a good case for everyone listed, plus (of course) Gandalf. Celebrian, Elrond's wife, might have sat on the Council during the time that she remained in Middle-earth. Lindir is another possibility as is Galdor, who represented Cirdan at the Council of Elrond.

My guess is that Elrond's children--Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen--were not members of the White Council, or at least not full members.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 9:21pm

Post #3 of 13 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Another possible member of the Council [In reply to] Can't Post

Another member of Elrond's household was Gildor Inglorion (not to be confused with Galdor of the Grey Havens), a Noldo of the House of Finrod. He was likely to have been another of the unspecified Elf-lords on the White Council.

One who may have been asked but probably refused the honor would have been Thranduil the Elvenking of Mirkwood.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 11:16pm

Post #4 of 13 (1099 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil would have probably not been active in it but probably kept up with what was going on - the Council's chief issue was the rise of the Necromancer in Thranduil's father's abandoned fortress after all. Maybe he sent Legolas as a representative much like, as you said, how Cirdan sent Galdor?

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Jan 24 2015, 11:17pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 1:01am

Post #5 of 13 (1094 views)
Shortcut
I have a great fondness for Elrond // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 4:46am

Post #6 of 13 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Oropher and Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thranduil would have probably not been active in it but probably kept up with what was going on - the Council's chief issue was the rise of the Necromancer in Thranduil's father's abandoned fortress after all. Maybe he sent Legolas as a representative much like, as you said, how Cirdan sent Galdor?

I don't think that Oropher constructed Dol Guldur even though the site was once the Wood-elves' capitol. The fortress was apparently built by servants of Sauron.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 25 2015, 8:05am

Post #7 of 13 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Gildor Inglorion? [In reply to] Can't Post

He was last seen wandering around not far from the Shire. How is he a member of Elrond's household? And even if he were, I'm not sure even all members of Elrond's crew would automatically be members of the White Council. That group seems rather more elite to me.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 1:54pm

Post #8 of 13 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Did I Err? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He was last seen wandering around not far from the Shire. How is he a member of Elrond's household? And even if he were, I'm not sure even all members of Elrond's crew would automatically be members of the White Council. That group seems rather more elite to me.

I was citing Robert Foster's entry for Gildor Inglorion from The Complete Guide to Middle-earth. Foster may have made an unsupported assumption, but I believe that his reasoning was based on Gildor being one of the Elves who accompanied Bilbo and Frodo and the other Ringbearers into the West.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 2:59pm

Post #9 of 13 (1055 views)
Shortcut
More on Gildor [In reply to] Can't Post

Gildor does tell Frodo that he (at least) has kin in Rivendell. He also informs the hobbit that he has seen Biilbo twice in recent years: First nearby (probably when Bilbo departed from the Shire) and again far away (presumably in Rivendell).

If Gildor is not from Rivendell then I must guess that his halls are in or near the Grey Havens. As far as I can tell there are no other significant communities of High Elves in Eriador between the Gulf of Lhun and the Misty Mountains.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 25 2015, 3:29pm

Post #10 of 13 (1057 views)
Shortcut
I don’t think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Foster makes several assumptions as well as several blatant errors. But in this case I think he is correct. Tyler in his ‘Tolkien Companion’ also agrees that Gildor dwelled in Rivendell.

Although Gildor & Co. are thought of as wandering Elves they surely had a home base and Rivendell is the logical choice. Gildor says to Frodo, “Some of our kinsfolk dwell still in peace in Rivendell.” He also mentions that he had seen Bilbo “far from here” (that would be Rivendell). No other Elven refuge is mentioned. And Gildor traveled with the Last Riding of the Keepers; it seems logical that they all came from Rivendell.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 25 2015, 10:34pm

Post #11 of 13 (1036 views)
Shortcut
A further Gildor thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Gidor’s non-wandering refuge was at the Grey Havens why would he be traveling west through the Shire at the Last Riding of the Keepers? He would simply ‘be there’ (as was Gandalf) when the Riders arrived.

Is Tolkien telling us that Gildor’s safe haven IS Rivendell.
All the hints seem to point that way.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 10:43pm

Post #12 of 13 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If Gidor’s non-wandering refuge was at the Grey Havens why would he be traveling west through the Shire at the Last Riding of the Keepers? He would simply ‘be there’ (as was Gandalf) when the Riders arrived.

Is Tolkien telling us that Gildor’s safe haven IS Rivendell.
All the hints seem to point that way.

I think that I have to agree.

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 12:44am

Post #13 of 13 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I never heard that he was in on the White Council. I love him anyways!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.