Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I wonder if we'll get more back story on Thranduil and his wife in the EE, plus some ramblings on waiting for the longer cut

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Jan 23 2015, 2:21pm

Post #1 of 5 (966 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if we'll get more back story on Thranduil and his wife in the EE, plus some ramblings on waiting for the longer cut Can't Post

The scar that Thranduil shows Thorin in DOS he got fighting serpents from the north, his wife is dead and she died in Gundabad, I honestly I'd be overjoyed if we got a flashback of Thranduil fighting with a dragon trying to defend his wife and getting his face burned, even if it's 5 seconds long.

Would be nice, especially since the scar does return subtly as kind of silver marks on his face in BOFA and the mentions of Legolas' mother wouldn't be as left field as they come across in the theatrical cut.

Anyway, in many ways I feel now like I'm waiting for a fourth movie this October, BOFA did satisfy me in regards to Thorin and Bilbo and their arc, but the rest didn't come together in a satisfying way for me. Especially I felt that Kili and Fili's relationship with his uncle was completely glossed over - for me their deaths should have been lot more emotional - I see what they were going for, but it didn't have that effect on me.

This is not how I would want to end my journey in cinematic Middle Earth - so I'm kind of stuck between - oh well - maybe all that we'll get are more pointless Alfrid scenes and ridiculous Legolas stunts, but then I've listened to a Doug Adams interview and how he said that he watched a long cut of the movie in October and that a lot of important thematical and dramatical material was cut so I have some hope.

(This post was edited by LoremIpsum on Jan 23 2015, 2:24pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 23 2015, 2:43pm

Post #2 of 5 (638 views)
Shortcut
Philippa Boyens hinted at the possibility... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the recent Empire podcast, meaning that we may or may not. I, for one, hope that we do.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 2:50pm

Post #3 of 5 (591 views)
Shortcut
Brutal editing did the ending no favors. [In reply to] Can't Post

If may viewers felt that the end of RotK went on for far too long, the theatrical cut of BotFA has the opposite problem. Thorin's dead. We're sad. Goodbye. And we're back to Bag End. I can't help thinking that a few more cuts earlier in the movie would have allowed for a bit more closer in the denouement. We needed Thorin's (and Fili & Kili's) funeral, closure with Orcrist and the Arkenstone, a few more words from Dain, perhaps showing Beorn accompanying Bilbo and Gandalf for part of the way back. Beorn could have had a few lines of dialogue about feeling that his solitary days are done and an intention to invite some of the Woodmen of the vales of Anduin to dwell with him.

I do expect that we should get at least some of that (and more besides) in the extended edition, but the theatrical cut still feels incomplete. And perhaps there will be a bit more about Thranduil and his queen.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 23 2015, 2:51pm)

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 23 2015, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 5 (502 views)
Shortcut
The whole sub story did seem rather a loose end.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole sub plot of Thranduil, his wife at Gundabad and the dragons plus potentially how this relates to the jewels, his politics and his relationship to Legolas did seem like a bit of a loose end.

In one respect I admit I quite liked that it wasn't fully explained and that were left to guess at the details akin to a great many things in LOTR. That said I do see some potentially interesting drama here which I didn't feel the film fully delivered on the promise we had in DOS.

As to how it maybe worked into an EE I could potentially see some kind of flashback branching off Legolas and Tauriel's story when there at Gundabad or perhaps with Thranduil at Laketown. To push it a little further I could even see it being used as a bit of a prolog, perhaps not anything too dramatic as the Smaug attack will start just afterwards but I think its easy to see how the two could be potentially linked.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Jan 23 2015, 4:14pm)

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Jan 23 2015, 4:31pm

Post #5 of 5 (524 views)
Shortcut
Dagorlad [In reply to] Can't Post

Give me Thranduil at Dagorlad in a charge alongside his father.

In Reply To
The scar that Thranduil shows Thorin in DOS he got fighting serpents from the north, his wife is dead and she died in Gundabad, I honestly I'd be overjoyed if we got a flashback of Thranduil fighting with a dragon trying to defend his wife and getting his face burned, even if it's 5 seconds long.

Would be nice, especially since the scar does return subtly as kind of silver marks on his face in BOFA and the mentions of Legolas' mother wouldn't be as left field as they come across in the theatrical cut.

Anyway, in many ways I feel now like I'm waiting for a fourth movie this October, BOFA did satisfy me in regards to Thorin and Bilbo and their arc, but the rest didn't come together in a satisfying way for me. Especially I felt that Kili and Fili's relationship with his uncle was completely glossed over - for me their deaths should have been lot more emotional - I see what they were going for, but it didn't have that effect on me.

This is not how I would want to end my journey in cinematic Middle Earth - so I'm kind of stuck between - oh well - maybe all that we'll get are more pointless Alfrid scenes and ridiculous Legolas stunts, but then I've listened to a Doug Adams interview and how he said that he watched a long cut of the movie in October and that a lot of important thematical and dramatical material was cut so I have some hope.

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.