The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rambling Thoughts On Restraint and Fan Edits
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 22 2015, 7:53pm

Post #101 of 109 (357 views)
Shortcut
Sorry - I know you're not keen on BotFA so I wasn't thinking of that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the final comment in your post I was answering - you sad that you'd become more critical of PJ's films since joining the forum. That sounded sad to me, if you enjoyed them before, that's all. But if that's not what you meant I'm sorry.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22 2015, 8:05pm

Post #102 of 109 (340 views)
Shortcut
There's the CHOW threads [In reply to] Can't Post

where people analyze the films in detail. I think they're buried right now with all the movie news, but they will be back soon. Those posts are an excellent way to examine the movies in depth.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jan 22 2015, 8:28pm

Post #103 of 109 (335 views)
Shortcut
Very well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Judging from your stance on the fan-edits of which would contain a movie still in theaters I had believed that your blaise attitude towards the situation meant that you didn't care much for the movies, hence why I said "seeming". I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I think the obvious time that fan-edits of the Entire trilogy could start when all of the DVD's are released for the public. After that, have at it. You won't hear any grumbling from me about that anymore since it's all in a myriad of people's hands. Not just several who are dispensing it illegally.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 22 2015, 8:56pm

Post #104 of 109 (320 views)
Shortcut
whatevs [In reply to] Can't Post

my blase attitude? please, im just giving an opinion. im not going to police anyone. yes its illegal to download a film, but thats not my responsibility! Im just commenting on a situation.

anyhow its already happened, mute point.

brotherbeck
Rivendell

Jan 22 2015, 9:07pm

Post #105 of 109 (319 views)
Shortcut
The forges sequence... [In reply to] Can't Post

Moreorless, I had been checking back with this post after I wrote it and there hadn't been much activity, then I worked a double and slept and came back and there were around 80 responses. I want to address what you said about the action in these films coming from a place of character, specifically the battle between the dwarves and Smaug at the forges.

Having watched the film with the commentary on, I agree with their thoughts that the film needed some action towards the finale and that the dwarves should at least try to take on Smaug and be heroic. As an idea I think the scene is fantastic and agree it is thoroughly rooted in the characters and how they would behave given what we'we already seen of their exploits. That being said, I feel the length of the sequence - especially when intercut with Legolas brawling it out with Bolg in Laketown - and the absurd level some of the action reaches severely hurt the film in my opinion, and also negatively impact the character of Smaug. Smaug ends up looking rather silly and inept - he slaughtered countless dwarves when he took Erebor the first time, he shouldn't have that much trouble with 13 of them.

In my own mind while watching the film I imagine that Smaug starts off toying with them as a cat sometimes will with a mouse but then the situation escalates quickly and the dwarves end up being more dangerous than he anticipated, but I don't think the film actually gets this idea across. To me it really just looks like Smaug is trying to kill them and can't seem to do it.

Now a fan editor trimming some of the excesses of this scene to approximate what it would have looked like had the filmmakers been given a little less free reign over how much they were spending on CGI to me could do wonders and actually make the end of the film that much more powerful. As someone else has pointed out, I feel like the lack of someone like Mark Ordesky or Barrie Osbourne - someone who loves the material and supports PJ as a filmmaker but does not simply say yes to every single idea PJ has - hurt these films dramatically.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 9:51pm

Post #106 of 109 (298 views)
Shortcut
Yes - we will have the sign-up thread up this weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
where people analyze the films in detail. I think they're buried right now with all the movie news, but they will be back soon. Those posts are an excellent way to examine the movies in depth.

We took a break over BO5A/Christmas.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2015, 10:45pm

Post #107 of 109 (289 views)
Shortcut
Why worry - we are all completely insignificant. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I find it a very odd way to choose to spend one's time, complaining about a film one doesn't like. There have been any number of film adaptations which I didn't like of books which I did like, but why I would have any cause to seek out opportunities to keep saying so is a mystery to me.

That said, who cares. The total number of posters talking about the films here (or on any other site for that matter) are diddly squat % of those who read the books or watch the films. Both are amongst the most popular examples of their respective genres so whether a statistically insignificant sub group such as those here like them, dislike them or are somewhere in the middle matters not one whit!

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 22 2015, 11:19pm

Post #108 of 109 (278 views)
Shortcut
I don't worry a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more of a mild annoyance I guess.

brotherbeck
Rivendell

Jan 23 2015, 2:27am

Post #109 of 109 (279 views)
Shortcut
Negativity On The Boards [In reply to] Can't Post

I can’t speak for anyone else, but there is still a whole lot that I enjoy about The Hobbit films even though I feel that they are deeply flawed. I would never bother to go through the process of registering and signing up for a website dedicated to a movie I didn’t like at all simply to criticize the film or poke fun at it.

At the end of the day, the biggest problem I have with BOTFA is in the editing. I personally feel that a talented editor who would have battled with PJ over certain hard creative decisions could have turned the movie into a masterpiece. Knowing that so much of the stuff that would make me fall in love with the film – more Bilbo, more of the company of dwarves, more Dain, more Thranduil, more Beorn, more Bard, more of the Dol Guldor fight, a resolution to the titular battle – was actually shot but deemed unworthy to make the final cut is just heartbreaking. All of which are reasons that I would want to watch a fan edit.

I also think the way the films were changed and expanded on the fly partway through production hurt them greatly from an overall structural standpoint. Now we have two very long films that take a LONG time to not get very far through the overall story while introducing myriad plotlines, storylines and characters, and then one pretty short, fast-paced, tightly-edited thriller that attempts to wrap everything up and resolve all the storylines at breakneck speed. That makes for an odd trilogy.

I know that this would never happen, but I would LOVE for PJ to go back in a couple years and do some sort of director’s cut of The Hobbit films where he actually had the time to now think about how everything plays out and restructure the films accordingly. I would gladly pay $80 or $100 on a huge blur-ray box set of such a thing. Alas, that is extremely unlikely to ever come to pass so my next best bet is to turn to a fan edit after all three extended editions have been released.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.