Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 20 2015, 3:55pm

Post #26 of 50 (520 views)
Shortcut
I watched Grantchester last night too [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it. Have to add it to the PBS lineup.

We also watched all 3 Agent Carters to catch up. Fun show! I like that they show her strength and her brains but she doesn't always go magically unscathed. Plus just enough references to Cap without it being labored. I do wonder what Stark is setting her up for...

acheron
Gondor

Jan 20 2015, 5:23pm

Post #27 of 50 (526 views)
Shortcut
Started watching Flight of the Conchords [In reply to] Can't Post

Late to things as usual, but better late than never? Very funny; really liking it so far.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2015, 6:31pm

Post #28 of 50 (507 views)
Shortcut
What's not to like [In reply to] Can't Post

about NZ's fourth most popular folk duo? Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2015, 6:34pm

Post #29 of 50 (499 views)
Shortcut
Oh that's good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the salad, the ... oh never mind. :D

"She's someone who makes you feel better when she's around. You know, by comparison."

Shocked Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2015, 6:35pm

Post #30 of 50 (502 views)
Shortcut
Have you got to the episode [In reply to] Can't Post

where at the end, they're standing outside the Australian embassy?

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 7:18pm

Post #31 of 50 (495 views)
Shortcut
Edge of Tomorrow...spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

Much better than I thought it would be. I'm so not a fan of Tom Cruise I thought he would get in the way, but it really wasn't too bad. For the life of me, I don't see how anyone who was inside the storyline could have figured out the complicated mess that was the aliens' strategy. And that if one of the alphas were killed the omega would know to reset everything. Complicated, but different. I would recommend it to sci-fi fans.

I also caught Grandchester.I am cautiously enthusiastic about this series, because I love little village cozy mysteries. On a par with Miss Marple but a little bit darker.

Permanent address: Into the West

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 9:31pm

Post #32 of 50 (507 views)
Shortcut
What I am LISTENING to... [In reply to] Can't Post

After our move I found that my CD of Alan Parsons Project's I, Robot had gone missing. I just replaced it with one from Barnes & Noble and discovered that this version has several intrumental bonus tracks that I had never heard before. Lucky!

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 20 2015, 11:41pm

Post #33 of 50 (503 views)
Shortcut
American Sniper [In reply to] Can't Post

Damn, that movie hit me right where I lived. It looked right, it sounded right, and I felt like I knew all those guys. I expected Eastwood to show it the way it was, and he delivered in spades. Costumes, sets, and props were outstanding. Performances were dead on target. I could practically feel the sand blowing in my face again.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2015, 1:34am

Post #34 of 50 (468 views)
Shortcut
Love that album! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to replace it too. My vinyl copy went belly up a while ago.

ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Jan 21 2015, 5:30pm

Post #35 of 50 (466 views)
Shortcut
Heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

Certain people in the arts & media need to be reminded that if it were not for brave men like Chris Kyle, and the sacrifice made by their families, then they would not have the freedoms they take for granted.

Bless all men & women in uniform.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2015, 6:46pm

Post #36 of 50 (451 views)
Shortcut
It gets even better [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also disappointed with the 4th season.
But season 5 is really great.
Here they broadcasted the final episode on Saturday. I cried and laughed a lot.
Won't spoil it for you, but it really is a good season.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 22 2015, 2:11am

Post #37 of 50 (446 views)
Shortcut
oh, and Castle [In reply to] Can't Post

props to the writers for coming up with yet another great reboot to keep us interested/guessing.

They still have to resolve the whole mystery about what happened at the wedding, though. I have not forgotten that ridiculous cliffhanger.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22 2015, 3:16am

Post #38 of 50 (436 views)
Shortcut
Gah!! Not reading! [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ's quite far behind with Castle - we've got them still planning their wedding.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Jan 24 2015, 7:31am

Post #39 of 50 (414 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I just watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 and I must say I found it somewhat compelling, but also pretty disturbing. For those of you who are fans of the show, why do you like it and why should I continue?

Currently watching Enchanted as a palate cleanser. Tongue

#OneLastTime

Patty
Immortal

Jan 24 2015, 8:06pm

Post #40 of 50 (403 views)
Shortcut
Any Outlander fans who can get Starz...no spoilers.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently there is supposed to be a brief glimpse of the first scene of the next episode airing tonight just before Black Sails at 9 o'clock Eastern time.

tsmith675
Gondor

Jan 24 2015, 11:02pm

Post #41 of 50 (389 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal gets better with every episode [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion. The first 5 or 6 episodes of the first season are probably the weakest, but after that it gets really, really good.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 11:49pm

Post #42 of 50 (391 views)
Shortcut
Wolf Hall [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as Hannibal goes, Kim, you need to hang in there; but if, after you've seen a lot of season 1, you still don't quite connect or find it too nauseating, you might as well give up, read the summaries on Wiki and then rejoin for RA in Season 3 this summer. I think that Fuller is going more for psychological thriller here and you won't get so many murders.

As for me, I've just watched the first episode of Wolf Hall on BBC2 and thought it was marvellous. This is based on some award-winning books by Hilary Mantel and sees Henry VIII from a different angle, through the eyes of Thomas Cromwell, the son of a blacksmith, who rose to great political power after becoming the protege of top dog, Cardinal Wolsey, the son of a butcher. And who says that England was never a land of opportunity?

Mark Rylance, who usually performs in Shakespeare at the Globe Theatre, is magnetic as Cromwell and the rest of the cast is stellar and includes Damian Lewis (Homeland), Bernard Hill (Theoden) and Mark Gatiss (Sherlock/Dr Who writer). This first episode was compelling and moving. The locations were English and lovely to look at, unlike the locations in Belgium(?) for The White Queen where the architecture looked absolutely wrong.

As far as the books go, many people give up on such epic tomes. One daughter who went to Magdalen College, Oxford, where Wolsey was a patron and whose portrait hangs in the dining hall, felt obliged to have a go but gave up half way through. My second daughter only read the second book, Bring Up the Bodies, and thought it was marvellous. I'd rather watch this TV series.

Look out for it. I believe it's coming to the States soon.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2015, 2:09am

Post #43 of 50 (383 views)
Shortcut
Grr...so short. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Any little taste was enjoyable though. I'm happy the soundtrack and Blu-ray of Volume 1 is coming out next month, otherwise I might just go crazy.

Very interesting to see things from Jaime's POV for the first time, given that virtually all of the earlier episodes were done from Claire's POV (except for Frank's scenes in "Both Sides Now"). It's certainly the first time we hear another character's thoughts. For those familiar with the books, without giving away any spoilers, is this the case in the source material as well, or an invention of the writers?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 25 2015, 2:11am)

Patty
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 2:26am

Post #44 of 50 (381 views)
Shortcut
An invention of the writers...no spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

And although I am one of Jamie's absolute biggest fans, I'm not so sure I really like this done this way. If they're going to switch points of view, they may as well go ahead and give us the translation of the Gallic thats spoken, which they said they werent going to do because it was from Claire's point of view and she doesn't speak the language. None of what you just saw is from outlander, although I can't say that he doesn't say this dialogue in future books. I have read Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager, but so long ago that I don't remember them well. I have been listening to Dragonfly on YouTube.
But as you said this was so short we really can't tell that much about it. It may be that having him say all that maybe tied into something else that happens so I will withhold judgment. Possibly this is their way of making up for some of the dialogue from the books that was missing that showed more of Jamie's character. I really wish some of the honeymoon night dialogue had been in there.
I hope they will give us another one of these next month, and possibly March also. Are you watching the droughtlander clips that show on the fourth of every month? You can catch them on starz.com/outlander.

(This post was edited by Patty on Jan 25 2015, 2:29am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2015, 2:36am

Post #45 of 50 (378 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this may be a perk of my not having read the books then. Wink I really liked having what I assume is the opening of the episode begin like this. It puts a different spin on things and gives a fresh perspective after the Claire-centric first season (or half-season, whatever).

As for the Droughtlander clips, yes, I've been watching them. Smile Some nice little bits they've been throwing our way.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Patty
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 2:39am

Post #46 of 50 (383 views)
Shortcut
I've just got two words to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

DELETED SCENES !!

That's what I'm waiting for!Heart

Also, are you catching the podcasts that Ronald Moore and his wife Terry, the costume designer, are doing? I heard them on iTunes.

(This post was edited by Patty on Jan 25 2015, 2:40am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 5:01am

Post #47 of 50 (355 views)
Shortcut
I always enjoyed the Battlestar Galactica commentaries that Ronald D Moore did. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2015, 5:14am

Post #48 of 50 (360 views)
Shortcut
Alrighty then [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, thanks to you and tsmith675 for your comments, I'll stick with Hannibal and see how it goes. That is good to hear that the focus may change for season 3 as I would like to check it out.

Re: Wolf Hall, I have seen some ads for that, but wasn't sure about watching it as I tried to read the book and literally could not follow it. I had heard great things about it and saw that it had won awards, but the writing style was so weird I just couldn't get into it. We read it for my book club and 3 of us had the same reaction, and one other did actually read it, but could barely retain the story. Guess I'll put the show on my maybe list.

#OneLastTime

Patty
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 10:31pm

Post #49 of 50 (341 views)
Shortcut
Outlander TV spoiler from episodes 1 and yesterday's clip... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just rewatched the clip that was presented yesterday for about the third time, it took me this long to realize that telling this from Jamie's point of view perfectly mirrors episode one's beginning and what Claire lead with, even to an extent it mirrors her surroundings. I can appreciate this a lot more now.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 25 2015, 10:34pm

Post #50 of 50 (345 views)
Shortcut
I have never seen this, and I've heard such good things about it… [In reply to] Can't Post

One of these days I'm going to have to take myself in hand and watch that series.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.