Durin's Day - An Astronomical Error?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 23 2015, 2:35pm

Post #51 of 55 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven New Year and Durin's Day (final thoughts) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've posted what amounts to an essay at Cubicle 7's The One Ring Roleplaying Game forum that has what are likely my finalized thoughts on the topic. I will provide a link below:

Dwarven New Year and Durin's Day

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 6:03pm

Post #52 of 55 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Second (Third?) Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Also, I don't see Durin's Day falling at least two months after the Company left Lake-town. On our Gregorian calender, by my best estimate, Durin's Day TA 2941 would have fallen on or near November 1 (October 22 plus 10 days).

Make that 23 Winterfilth, 2941. supposing that Tolkien was starting the week on Sunday (rather than Saturday as with Shire Reckoning) when he wrote The Hobbit. And the conversion to our calender would make it October 13 (23 Winterfilth minus 10 days). Rule of thumb is to add 10 days from the modern date. The 31 days of July and August are compensated for with Midyear's Day and 2 Lithe.

The lunar phases make 21 or 22 Winterfilth the best possible dates for Durin's Day in The Hobbit (the book). I will stick with Shire Reckoning after all and settle on 22 Winterfilth as my best estimate. I am confident that this is my final answer.

For TH:BotFA, I have to revise my guess to no earlier than 3 Blotmath and no later than 5 Blotmath.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 27 2015, 6:15pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 27 2015, 10:04pm

Post #53 of 55 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Duin's Day in TH:DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For TH:BotFA, I have to revise my guess to no earlier than 3 Blotmath and no later than 5 Blotmath.

It occured to me to check all of my figures to make sure I had taken everything into account. First I double-checked the positions of the moon both on Mid-year's Eve in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and on Durin's Day in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Both show a waxing crescent moon, slightly more full on Durin's Day.

I used June 19 for Mid-year's Day in TA 2940 (the year of the quest in the film-continuity), the year being a leap year. A calendar of the phases of the moon shows that the same crescent moon that Bilbo sees in TH:DoS would occur on 27 Winterfilth (Winterfilth being the tenth month of the year in Shire Reckoning). This would convert to October 17 on our modern calendar. That works much better than my earlier estimate.

There it is: Durin's Day falls on 27 Winterfilth in TH:DoS.

In book canon, as previously stated, Durin's Day on TA 2941 was 22 WInterfilth.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 27 2015, 10:07pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 28 2015, 3:09pm

Post #54 of 55 (1352 views)
Shortcut
It's always something! [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally noticed a note in LotR Appendix D that I had completely forgotten about. Tolkien equated our New Year's Day with January 9 on the hobbit's calendar. That puts my modern coversions off by plus two days.

Durin's Day in TH:DoS would have still fallen on 27 Winterfilth. However that would convert to October 15 on our calendar. Other such conversions are also altered accordingly.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 28 2015, 3:10pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 29 2015, 10:24pm

Post #55 of 55 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Descrepency [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I finally noticed a note in LotR Appendix D that I had completely forgotten about. Tolkien equated our New Year's Day with January 9 on the hobbit's calendar. That puts my modern coversions off by plus two days.

Durin's Day in TH:DoS would have still fallen on 27 Winterfilth. However that would convert to October 15 on our calendar. Other such conversions are also altered accordingly.

Upon further reflection, I am going to ignore Tolkien's correlation between the hobbit's New Year's day and our January 9. It was not a definitive statement (qualified by "more or less") and his contention that Midyear's Day would have been as close as possible to the summer solstice takes precedence as far as I'm concerned. We do have to take into account that the Quest of Erebor would have take place during a leap year (TA 2940) in Jackson's Hobbit trilogy.

So, I consider Midyear's Day in Shire Reckoning to fall on our June 21 (except on leap years). And 27 Winterfilth (Durin's Day in TH:DoS) was equivalent to October 17 on our Gregorian calendar.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.