The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A question about the character of Kili!

Andreorn89
The Shire

Jan 17 2015, 10:09pm

Post #1 of 8 (814 views)
Shortcut
A question about the character of Kili! Can't Post

To those of you who like the character of Kili and those who appreciate her look? I'll explain, frankly is one of my favorite Nani, tell the history of the character and why not, for his look that many feel little dwarven. I emphasize the fact that the version of Peter Jackson I like and maybe I'm one of the few, Kili not have a beard, but looking more closely at her hair his nose and his ears identify him as much Nano, especially in the scenes on the banks Laketown, both in the cells of the wooded realm. He pressed that in this discussion I have not named Tauriel, that does not bother me, only his part in the story takes too much foot for this, I want to hear you talk about Kili without putting beside the character Tauriel! thank you, hello everyone!

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 17 2015, 11:25pm

Post #2 of 8 (453 views)
Shortcut
Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
To those of you who like the character of Kili and those who appreciate her look? I'll explain, frankly is one of my favorite Nani, tell the history of the character and why not, for his look that many feel little dwarven. I emphasize the fact that the version of Peter Jackson I like and maybe I'm one of the few, Kili not have a beard, but looking more closely at her hair his nose and his ears identify him as much Nano, especially in the scenes on the banks Laketown, both in the cells of the wooded realm. He pressed that in this discussion I have not named Tauriel, that does not bother me, only his part in the story takes too much foot for this, I want to hear you talk about Kili without putting beside the character Tauriel! thank you, hello everyone!

I'm not quite sure what you are asking? Kili is a "he" not a "her". Although it reminds me of a very funny picture set, where the elves and dwarves are trying to figure out who is a male and who is a female in each other's races.

Who is Nano?

But on the off chance you're serious about this. I like the look because honestly aside from having only very little beard - he looks just as dwarven as Thorin or Fili or even Bofur to a certain extent. He has thick eyebrows, he has deep set eyes, he's tall for a dwarf but Thorin and Dwalin are both taller. I also think that like humans have many different types of faces and builds there is no reason dwarves shouldn't as well. Some humans are absolutely stunning and others look fairly trollish(no offense meant to actual trolls:)). No reason dwarves shouldn't have the same breadth of difference(though what each thinks of as stunning vs trollish would likely be quite different)

But otherwise he's brave and open hearted. One can say reckless but on the other hand so are many of the human heroes of these films(meaning LOTR as well) - he never acted reckless for it's own sake, it was always for the purposes of trying to help others. I also liked that in some ways he slowly gained confidence He has a good heart and is interested in others. And yes even the conversation in the jail cell showed he has a thoughtful, more sensitive side which can appreciate the wonders in the world and just as importantly he wants to share them(which I feel is somehow important for the fact that the dwarven stereotype is that they are insular and want to keep things to themselves, whether it's their stones or their women or their culture, it's another way in the film to show that it isn't necessarily the case all the time).

I also think it's interesting that while he clearly nearly worships Thorin, he always is shown to have a mind of his own. Thorin wasn't too keen on Bilbo at first but Kili seemed to at least believe he could do it from the start. Also maybe sometimes he might be a little too quick to speak his mind but he DOES speak his mind, he says what he believes and in the long run(if ::sniff:: he'd had one), I think that would be a good thing. But he DOES love Thorin.

It does make me wonder when Kili and Fili's father died, how old they were. Now "fanon" would have it that usually he dies either before Kili is born or when he is little more than an infant. I don't know what the filmmakers thoughts on this would be. But if that's the case then perhaps Thorin is really the closest thing to an actual father he knows as well as being his uncle, which in their culture would be a special relationship itself.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jan 17 2015, 11:30pm)

Andreorn89
The Shire

Jan 18 2015, 9:24am

Post #3 of 8 (330 views)
Shortcut
let's say [In reply to] Can't Post

that I intended to look credible trick! a light makeup on Kili but successful because it certainly has the characteristics Dwarf!

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2015, 9:53am

Post #4 of 8 (331 views)
Shortcut
I suppose in your mother-tongue the Dwarves are "Nani", [In reply to] Can't Post

like in French we say 'les Nains', and when it's only one it's 'Nano'... Are you Italian perhaps? But then it was quite confusing for English-speakers to call him 'her' as if he was a feminine character!!! AngelicLaugh
Anyway, to answer your question, oh yes I like him! His greatest quality for me is his contagious enthusiasm, and his love of fun. He is always the one starting a joke and trying to pull somebody's leg - like he did in AUJ with Bilbo and the noises in the dark being surely an attack by Orcs, etc... Fili seconds him nicely in that, but Kili is the one who starts.
Same thing with Tauriel in the Mirkwood cell: he is the one who starts joking, and playing with his rune-stone to attract Tauriel and make her come closer.. You can always expect some pranks from him.
He is definitely a charmer, an irresistible charmer. with a smile that steals your sympathy... and your heart. Look what happens to Tauriel!!! Compared to those two so cold and darn serious Elves she has to deal with all the time, Thranduil and Legolas, Kili is quite a pleasant change in her life!!!
He is so much fun to be with, he is like the adorable last child that everybody is especially fond of - even his stern uncle Thorin has a soft spot for him, although with Fili he is more serious. The soft head-butt when Thorin comes back to sanity is for Kili... It is also to him, to that 'reckless' little one, that Dis their mom gave that rune-stone... And Fili doesn't mind, he too just loves his little brother.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Jan 18 2015, 9:56am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2015, 1:25pm

Post #5 of 8 (289 views)
Shortcut
I liked the character of Kili very much [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was so joyful and ready for adventure, and I also like his look as a young dwarf, since some of the other dwarf designs are too exaggerated for my taste. There is a place in the book where Thorin says, "I was a very adventurous lad in those days" or something like that, and I think that is the kind of personality the moviemakers were showing in Kili. Kili and Fili remind me a little bit of Pippin and Merry, young, fun-loving and brave.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 18 2015, 10:42pm

Post #6 of 8 (222 views)
Shortcut
I like Kili very much [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt his appearance was in keeping with dwarf appearance and his personality even more so. One of the scenes that is telling about Kili's character is how much he does not want to show his pain and concern when the arrow wound is hurting him so much. Since it was a morgul blade it must have been exceptionally and increasingly painful, but perhaps since he had no experience with battle and war wounds, he probably is berating himself for feeling so much pain and maybe thinking "what kind of dwarf am I to be so weakened" by it. I felt badly for Kili at this part, because he was trying so hard to be a strong, valiant dwarf, not realizing at all that the wound he had been given was no ordinary wound at all.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 19 2015, 2:44am

Post #7 of 8 (194 views)
Shortcut
me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I felt his appearance was in keeping with dwarf appearance and his personality even more so. One of the scenes that is telling about Kili's character is how much he does not want to show his pain and concern when the arrow wound is hurting him so much. Since it was a morgul blade it must have been exceptionally and increasingly painful, but perhaps since he had no experience with battle and war wounds, he probably is berating himself for feeling so much pain and maybe thinking "what kind of dwarf am I to be so weakened" by it. I felt badly for Kili at this part, because he was trying so hard to be a strong, valiant dwarf, not realizing at all that the wound he had been given was no ordinary wound at all.

I agree. He'd probably never been wounded in any kind of serious way before so would have put down how awful he felt and how painful it was to personal weakness instead of the fact that he was truly seriously injured. He didn't want to cause trouble by it or be a burden for it and still wanted to pull his weight. Which is particularly sad considering he received it in the brave(and ultimately successful) attempt to open the gate. And with no one there to tell him otherwise, he tried not to "overreact" to it and to just get on with it thinking it wasn't really as bad as it felt.

I wonder if that is why they cut the scene on the boat with BIlbo - it would have seemed strange for BIlbo to be so concerned over an orc wound when no one else seemed to be.

Another thing I liked was when Bard showed up and drew his bow on them, even injured and weaponless he still picked up a rock to try and defend themselves with. :)

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jan 19 2015, 2:49am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 3:53am

Post #8 of 8 (204 views)
Shortcut
Kili! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili is the youngest, and I think has not developed the more Dwarvish characteristics.

If you look at puppies, it does not matter what breed, all puppies look much the same when they are young. (also, baby gorillas and baby humans look amazingly similar when very very young, it is when they begin to get older that you see more of the species differences).

I think it is like that in Middle Earth: when children, when young, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, and regular humans look the same.

It is when they get older that they begin to look different. More Dwarvish, more Elvish, more Hobbity.

Kili would have looked like Balin, or Dwalin, when he got to that age.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.