I have a question about love
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 19 2015, 2:08am

Post #51 of 66 (351 views)
Shortcut
Tainted love. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 19 2015, 3:54am

Post #52 of 66 (340 views)
Shortcut
Just one year of love is better than a lifetime alone // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 19 2015, 4:04am

Post #53 of 66 (348 views)
Shortcut
Noticeable difference in quality and eloquence between... [In reply to] Can't Post

the lines:

" If this is love, I don't want it. Take it away, please! Why does it hurt so much?"

and

In Reply To
... You must linger on in darkness and in doubt. As night fall in winter that comes without a star. Here you will dwell...bound to your grief under the fading trees. Until all the world is changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 4:10am

Post #54 of 66 (342 views)
Shortcut
"It is better to love a single pussycat [In reply to] Can't Post

than to sit and curse the loneliness." --Ashleigh Brilliant

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 4:14am

Post #55 of 66 (356 views)
Shortcut
The original last line [In reply to] Can't Post

was the stupidest thing I ever heard. I hated that story back when it was all the rage, because I knew it was stupid and wrong. We need to treat people we love with even more courtesy than we do strangers. Eru, I hate "Love Story".

And I'll get off my soapbox now.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 4:15am

Post #56 of 66 (343 views)
Shortcut
I got to hear them sing that live in 1970 <3 [In reply to] Can't Post

They had a fiery love, for sure :-)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 4:19am

Post #57 of 66 (365 views)
Shortcut
If it hurts that much [In reply to] Can't Post

it isn't really love. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

Which is not to say lovers always get along. Uncle Baggins and I have had plenty of shouting and hollering parties in our almost 40 years. But we both always knew those were temporary squalls.

The first step is to love yourself as hard as you possibly can.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 19 2015, 8:58am

Post #58 of 66 (346 views)
Shortcut
Spare a little corner of your soapbox for me (no, that's not from a song!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I never liked the real last line either - that's why I changed it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 3:59pm

Post #59 of 66 (318 views)
Shortcut
I thought that might be the case :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 5:33pm

Post #60 of 66 (325 views)
Shortcut
I think that's rather facile [In reply to] Can't Post

if you've never had your heart broken, you're lucky - but not in a position to give advice. Yes, it's probably true that the "other" person didn't really love, but the person whose heart was broken did!

Neurological studies have shown that a broken heart is a physical reality. People have, in fact, died of it.

My answer is: time. Time will heal you. The best thing you can do in the meantime is to force yourself to stop thinking about the other person. Literally tell yourself "STOP!" when you find yourself thinking about them and MAKE yourself think about something else. (Or someone else.) It works.

Also: exercise. Releases those feel-good endorphins.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 19 2015, 5:59pm

Post #61 of 66 (308 views)
Shortcut
Bring me a higher love oh-oh [In reply to] Can't Post

I could rise above, on a higher love!Cool

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 19 2015, 6:03pm

Post #62 of 66 (313 views)
Shortcut
I apologize. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have had my heart broken, a long, long time ago. And I was speaking from personal experience, which of course might not be anyone else's experience. In my case, I was definitely in love, but not with a real person. I was projecting my ideal onto someone who wasn't like that at all. I guess that's what made me say "It's not love," because in my case what I had with that boy wasn't shared love at all. It was a fantasy. I was imagining he loved me, and he was imagining I would sleep with him, and neither of us was really seeing the other person at all.

It took about a year to get past it, and what helped me the most at the time was the love of my family, which was the genuine article.

And yes, of course what I meant was that the other person is not really loving, not that the person who is grieving doesn't love. I just said it all wrong.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 19 2015, 6:07pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 11:32pm

Post #63 of 66 (290 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Never liked the song's original idea either. Smile

(Though I am totally on board with taking out the rubbish... Laugh)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 19 2015, 11:55pm

Post #64 of 66 (287 views)
Shortcut
But at what point does "loving yourself" become narcissism? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 12:26am

Post #65 of 66 (301 views)
Shortcut
narcissism isn't about loving yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

it's about needing other people to love you.

Most people who are narcissists are actually very insecure; they need to present a perfect front to others and get others to buy it to feel safe. They can't stand criticism because it means their "perfect" protective shell has a crack in it, and that threatens everything. In other words, a narcissist depends on the stability of a house of cards.

A person who truly is okay with him or herself can handle criticism and either learn from it or dismiss it without having their whole world threatened. They also know when flattery is meaningless.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 4:02am

Post #66 of 66 (291 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully said. [In reply to] Can't Post

People who really know how to nurture themselves fill up their own wells and are able to share that love with others.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.