The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sir Patrick Stewart as Radagast the Brown

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 15 2015, 12:14am

Post #1 of 24 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Sir Patrick Stewart as Radagast the Brown Can't Post

How awesome would that have been, especially in comparison to the version we got?

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Jan 15 2015, 12:17am

Post #2 of 24 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Huh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually yeah! He would have been great! I have never been to keen on Sylvester McCoy's take. Although he was no Jar Jar like some claim!

QueenCirce
Bree

Jan 15 2015, 12:29am

Post #3 of 24 (1042 views)
Shortcut
I love Patrick Stewart [In reply to] Can't Post

Buuuttt i am not sure about him portraying radagast. I dunno. Something would seem a bit off maybe. He IS amazing tho.

Unlike a lot I actually liked raddy a lot, and he grew on my especially when he was being serious… it was such a contrast…. The conversation with Gandalf about the spiders and the blade was great and the conversation in the tombs both showed the serious side to raddy and he was great.

They should have done the following in the existing film and he would have actually been amazing.

1. Remove the silly stick insect scene.(10 sec)
2. Remove the cross eyed pipe weed smoking scene (10 sec)
3. Keep the birds, but remove the poop.
4. Don’t make him go cross eyed, when removing the dark spell on the hedge.
5. Extend his fight with the witch king, into a one on one wizard vs nazgul battle.

A few minor cuts, and 30 seconds more battle footage and it would have elevated his character form a combination of a silly, comical and weird ..... to a befuddled kindly wizard, that if angered could become deadly.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jan 15 2015, 4:25am

Post #4 of 24 (943 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I think McCoy nailed it. His jittery and bumbling performance was spot on, yet serious as a heart attack when necesary.

Don't think Stewart could do the bumbling side as naturally as McCoy did.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jan 15 2015, 6:04am

Post #5 of 24 (911 views)
Shortcut
where to sign?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think McCoy nailed it. His jittery and bumbling performance was spot on, yet serious as a heart attack when necesary.

Don't think Stewart could do the bumbling side as naturally as McCoy did.

Ah,here! Wink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 15 2015, 8:02am

Post #6 of 24 (887 views)
Shortcut
No, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Stewart has been used in far too many 'by-the-numbers' celebrity films, and I wouldn't have liked him to appear in this one. I liked the quirkiness Sylvester McCoy provided to the role.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 15 2015, 3:29pm

Post #7 of 24 (807 views)
Shortcut
Somewhere in the 6 films [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Patrick Stewart, but I don't think he would have been right for Radagast. I think Radagast suits being absent minded (he could have arguably been less comical) but I can't picture Patrick Stewart playing him. I wouldn't have minded if Patrick Stewart did have a role somewhere in the 6 films but I'm not sure who he could have played.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 3:30pm

Post #8 of 24 (801 views)
Shortcut
I don't see him as a good character for these films. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had to place him, I think a dwarf would be better suited....or, possibly, an older Elf such as Cirdan. But, I can see other choices for those roles.

I understand why they wanted some comic relief with Radagast, but my preference still would have been for a more serious character.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 15 2015, 3:34pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 4:06pm

Post #9 of 24 (786 views)
Shortcut
Bit late really.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But no. I don't think he would have fitted at all well as Radagast. I've never like Sylvester McCoy and was dubious when they chose him, but I think he was perfect for the character as they wanted him to be

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 4:43pm

Post #10 of 24 (775 views)
Shortcut
Stewart as Cirdan... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my, yes. CoolCoolCool

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 15 2015, 5:49pm

Post #11 of 24 (758 views)
Shortcut
I would only ad [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They should have done the following in the existing film and he would have actually been amazing.

1. Remove the silly stick insect scene.(10 sec)
2. Remove the cross eyed pipe weed smoking scene (10 sec)
3. Keep the birds, but remove the poop.
4. Don’t make him go cross eyed, when removing the dark spell on the hedge.
5. Extend his fight with the witch king, into a one on one wizard vs nazgul battle.

A few minor cuts, and 30 seconds more battle footage and it would have elevated his character form a combination of a silly, comical and weird ..... to a befuddled kindly wizard, that if angered could become deadly.

Don't have him ride in circles when he's leading the orcs "away" from the dwarves.CrazyCrazy

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Nolane
Bree

Jan 15 2015, 6:02pm

Post #12 of 24 (755 views)
Shortcut
Stewart would have been better... [In reply to] Can't Post

Stewart would not have played him as goofy as McCoy did. One of the few bad casting decisions Peter Jackson and company have made, although they are responsible through the screenplay and direction for making him too goofy in the first place.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 24 (746 views)
Shortcut
I agree, reaching for laughs, though understandable in the big scheme of [In reply to] Can't Post

General Audience things, diminished his stature. He should also have been contesting with the rest of the White Council at Dol Gulder rather than merely running the bunny ambulance.

I see a possible dwarf or Cirdan here:
http://zoecarter.com/...oads/2011/04/711.jpg

http://www.thepsn.org/...mages/card8_main.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 15 2015, 6:15pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 15 2015, 6:15pm

Post #14 of 24 (740 views)
Shortcut
Is this his Avatar test? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i.kinja-img.com/...1966kjgozdv0cjpg.jpg

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jan 15 2015, 8:45pm

Post #15 of 24 (732 views)
Shortcut
Where PJ's Radagast came from [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not just the casting, the whole interpretation of Radagast is a bit wacky and really didn't fit into Tolkien's mythology for me at all.

I just recently came across where much of the inspiration is from, TH White's Merlin-

"The old man was streaked with droppings over his shoulders, among the stars and triangles of his gown, and a large spider was lowering itself from the tip of his hat, as he gazed and slowly blinked at the little boy in front of him."

TH White's Merlin is a lot of fun, but can't say it really worked in the context of The Hobbit.

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 15 2015, 11:10pm

Post #16 of 24 (684 views)
Shortcut
Agree with your changes [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see Patrick Stewart as Radagast even if they'd played his charactar a lot straighter, but I would have enjoyed the film more without the goofy gags, especially would not have missed the bird poo. But the eight year olds would have missed all of that.

I was the mother of an eight year old who fell in love with the LOTR film trilogy in 2001. I don't think he'd have cared for the art house version I wanted and still hope for. Now he's in college I so enjoy the conversations we have about the films. So I'm willing to put up with the bird poo if that's what it takes to bring the next generation into the fold.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 15 2015, 11:19pm

Post #17 of 24 (688 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I can see him as Cirdan [In reply to] Can't Post

although my first thought was that a young Sir Patrick would be good as Prince Imrahil. Remember his role as King Leodegrance in Excalibur?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 16 2015, 3:56am

Post #18 of 24 (672 views)
Shortcut
"These are the voyages of the morning star ship Vingilot." / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Elwing, make it so."

The tremendous landscape of Middle-earth, the psychological and moral universe of The Lord of the Rings, is built up by repetition, semi-repetition, suggestion, foreshadowing, recollection, echo, and reversal. Through it the story goes forward at its steady, human gait. There, and back again.
-Ursula K. LeGuin, Rhythmic Patterning in The Lord of the Rings

Farficom
Rivendell

Jan 16 2015, 2:51pm

Post #19 of 24 (654 views)
Shortcut
Sir Patrick Stewart is great. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, Sylvester McCoy was perfect for the roll... and did good with the screen time he was given. The stick insect was a bit much.

(This post was edited by Farficom on Jan 16 2015, 2:52pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2015, 9:14pm

Post #20 of 24 (642 views)
Shortcut
I do recall - Sir Patrick is a standout in any Medieval setting [In reply to] Can't Post

with his bearing and diction. As for playing a Dwarf - I see that in his Gurney Halleck (another standout role in a wet-cabbage production).

Evernight
Rivendell

Jan 17 2015, 8:42pm

Post #21 of 24 (626 views)
Shortcut
Denethor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Patrick Stewart would've been a great Denethor. I guess it didn't happen because of the X-Men films, where we already got McKellen and Stewart as antagonists.
That's one of the casting decisions I would make if I could travel back in time and be in charge, the other would be Jennifer Connelly as Arwen.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

(This post was edited by Evernight on Jan 17 2015, 8:44pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 4:34am

Post #22 of 24 (608 views)
Shortcut
make it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [In reply to] Can't Post

SlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySly

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 4:36am

Post #23 of 24 (613 views)
Shortcut
mckellen vs stewart news at eleven...... [In reply to] Can't Post

oh yes, that's too perfect, Patrick Stewart as anybody who could face off with Gandalf............

after all, we've already got Sherlock and Watson...

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Celedor
Rivendell

Jan 25 2015, 3:53pm

Post #24 of 24 (597 views)
Shortcut
Make it So [In reply to] Can't Post

Stewart was from my fantasy choice for Denethor back in 1999. (In fact, the next year I wrote McKellen an email and asked if he could recruit him for the part. Little did I know how joined at the hip the two would become!) My other choice was David Warner. Nothing against John Noble, but I never feel the importance, strength, and gravitas from the character in the movies that I feel from the book. But that's probably also due to how he's written.

-Celedor-
www.jwbraun.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.