First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2015, 5:17am

Post #51 of 62 (1254 views)
Shortcut
oh where oh where [In reply to] Can't Post

did you get those smileys.............

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2015, 11:08am

Post #52 of 62 (1243 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know - [In reply to] Can't Post

-Tolkien's Estate has not given permisson for any of his works to be licensed. That would be Middle-earth Enterprises, who own the film rights to two of Tolkien's works.

They used to call themselves 'Tolkien Enterprises', and traded off the old professor's name for many years, confusticate them! (this has led to much confusion).

That company was set up by Saul Zaentz.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jan 18 2015, 11:09am)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2015, 11:36am

Post #53 of 62 (1257 views)
Shortcut
I agree - I don't like the word 'canon' either- [In reply to] Can't Post

- as it only leads to arguments; usually about what folk mean by 'canon'. I find it's not a very useful word or concept; and besides; folk seem only to apply it to Tolkien's Middle-earth books, which are only a part of his output.

I'm interested in what Tolkien wrote; anything and everything, whether published or not; whether during his lifetime or posthumously. I don't mind the changes he made to his works during his lifetime - TH; LotR; On Fairy-Stories - because I know where, when and why those changes were made. (I read widely). It's all a matter of context.

I don't always agree with some of Tolkien's decisions - for example, I wish he hadn't cut out that part of LotR when Aragorn got cross with Gimli, and asked how Gimli would have like it if he'd offered Sauron 'a rascal of a rebel Dwarf in exchange for a servicable orc'. But it's his story; he could do as he liked with it. Wink

As for what Christopher has edited - the same principle applies, whether his own editing of his father's academic works (including those which CT has farmed out to other editors, such as Michael Drout), or Tolkien's non- Middle-earth fiction, such as Roverandom, ed. Hammond & Scull; as well as his editing of his father's M-e stuff - it's all about Context. Whenever I read anything by Tolkien which is edited by someone else (inc. Letters) I'm aware of the need to keep in mind its context with whatever else he wrote; before and afterwards. So in this regard, arguing about, for example, how many balrogs there were*, is pretty pointless IMO, without taking context into account.

*I've no idea how many there were supposed to be.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jan 18 2015, 11:37am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18 2015, 2:30pm

Post #54 of 62 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Things went wrong with Iron Crown. [In reply to] Can't Post

The gaming company Iron Crown Enterprises (publishers of MERP - Middle-earth Role Playing game) either assumed or were led to believe that they could adapt far more than just the material from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The MERP setting also included material derived from Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion and other sources.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 18 2015, 3:15pm

Post #55 of 62 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Back in the Dawn of Time [In reply to] Can't Post

there was this thing called MSN Messenger, and there were these old fashioned things called message boards (of which Torn is a wonderful vestige because its been run so well) and many of those message boards used MSN emoticons, and also many o their own devising. There were, in these olden days, lots of sites using what were known as "message board smilies". Little animated smiley gifs were the rage, in this simpler time, and I lived then and gathered multiple smileys unto my computer picture folder. And there they reside, for use as needed.

of the smilies.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 18 2015, 3:52pm

Post #56 of 62 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an excellent summary of my feelings as well about the uselessness of 'canon' discussions. However, as you say, you've studied and read widely in Tolkien studies; I have too, and so have many others on this board.

But I do also think it's not really fair to hold all of Tolkien's fans to that standard. There are far far more people who choose to enjoy just his most popular works. There are plenty who, thanks partly to the movies, the games, the illustrators, and the merchandise, tend to associate his world with a host of other fantasy universes that seem to be primarily about powerful heroic characters battling each other over Good and Evil. To such fans, 'canon' has a lot of meaning and importance and contributes to their enjoyment of Tolkien's works.

These discussions are important for clarifying points of view, especially on this website, but in the end there's never going to be a single 'right' viewpoint on the matter - not that you said there was, of course.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 3:26am

Post #57 of 62 (1226 views)
Shortcut
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh great Purveyor of Emoticons

wouldst thou perchance instruct us in how to procure these wondrous beasties?

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 19 2015, 4:36am

Post #58 of 62 (1210 views)
Shortcut
LOL. Well, travel back in time via Google? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had most of mine for quite awhile. But I just searched Google for "message board smilies" and got some hits, so you should be able to find them.

Of course, you risk the wrath of squire, who frowneth upon smilies. Sometimes I verily use them for that reason. But it's risky, to poke a dragon.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 19 2015, 5:31am

Post #59 of 62 (1218 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay what are we talking about? Dragons, Tolkien, Winnie the Pooh, Cannons, Tom Bombadil, Smileys, Red Clothing, Tolkien Enterprises ??? You are so Confusing

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 19 2015, 7:17am

Post #60 of 62 (1213 views)
Shortcut
It's called thread creep, Konrad. [In reply to] Can't Post

People talk about what they want to, taking off from the original post in whatever direction the spirit takes them. It's part of the fun, relax and enjoy.

If you view this board in "threaded view" the threading and subject lines should give you enough of a clue that things are taking off in a direction you don't care to pursue, while you can still engage with responses that interest you.

It was an intteresting discussion, for me, an I hope you aren't to discombobulated!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 5:22pm

Post #61 of 62 (1189 views)
Shortcut
bwaa ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2015, 5:27pm

Post #62 of 62 (1253 views)
Shortcut
ah [In reply to] Can't Post

mission creep....

build a historical boat as a floating museum

build a historical floating museum boat that can actually sail around the harbor

build a floating museum boat that sails around the harbor and over to the other side of the Bay

build a boat... that sails up the coast

build a boat... add some crew, some extra gear, sail it to England

...to China

to the Caribbean where it sinks in a sudden squall because it wasn't designed to be anything more than a floating museum (this has happened)

where were we?????????????? Evil

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.