Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
So is it because of Boromir that Aragorn decides to fullfill his kingship?

boldog
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 10:15am

Post #1 of 7 (1278 views)
Shortcut
So is it because of Boromir that Aragorn decides to fullfill his kingship? Can't Post

Throughout fotr Boromir is always talking with Aragorn about him coming to Gondor as a lord. He always seems to be supportive of Aragorns claim on the throne, but Aragorn never wanted to know about it.
The way I see it is when Aragorn says his promise to Boromir that he will not let the white city fall, seems like he is promising Boromir that he will become the king.
Also the fact that Aragorn puts on Boromirs, Gauntlets, could be a sign of his acceptance to his kingship?

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 6:29pm

Post #2 of 7 (1025 views)
Shortcut
It certainly plays an important part in Aragorn embracing his destiny [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's *the* reason (if it is, at all, possible to narrow it down to just one), more of an incentive. And, yes, Aragorn strapping on Boromir's bracers is undoubtedly a symbolic act.

This reminds me a lot of Bilbo's final decision to continue the journey in the end of AUJ and his words to the rest of the Company (he too makes a promise).

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 20 2015, 4:32am

Post #3 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut
I interpret it as a major step [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I see it, Boromir in the movie is a pivot for Aragorn away from the key psychological block he has toward kingship: the pre-occupation with the weakness of Men. Through Boromir he gets to realize that he is operating under a sort of false paradigm, and he moves away from the idea that weakness is some indelible state of being.

Boromir pretty much spells this out in the dialogue of the EE. Aragorn takes it to heart after 1) he let's Frodo (and therefore the Ring) go on Amon Hen, and 2) he sees Boromir's downfall and redemption.

Ultimately, it is for Arwen that he takes the final step toward kingship in RotK, whether you like the plot twist or not. This helps align movie Aragorn with book Aragorn to an extent.

Aragorn donning Boromir's vambraces at the end of FotR is absolutely one of my favorite moments in the trilogy. It's a beautiful post script to the death scene and the boat funeral, and a really nice bit of symbolism to highlight the pivot I wrote about above.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 2:24pm

Post #4 of 7 (935 views)
Shortcut
I think it's Frodo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Aragorn is able to let Frodo (and the ring) go he realizes that he *does* possess the full strength of Numenor. His seemingly fatalistic sword salute to the Uruk-hai (along with his warcry of "Elendil!") just before he battles them symbolises his giving over of his life to his destiny. His vow to Boromir, his captaincy at Helm's Deep, his acceptance of Thranduil, and his journey through the Paths of the Dead are all transformative steps to the destiny he's already decided to accept.

The tremendous landscape of Middle-earth, the psychological and moral universe of The Lord of the Rings, is built up by repetition, semi-repetition, suggestion, foreshadowing, recollection, echo, and reversal. Through it the story goes forward at its steady, human gait. There, and back again.
-Ursula K. LeGuin, Rhythmic Patterning in The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 20 2015, 2:30pm)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 20 2015, 7:01pm

Post #5 of 7 (918 views)
Shortcut
His acceptance of Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because Aragorn is able to let Frodo (and the ring) go he realizes that he *does* possess the full strength of Numenor. His seemingly fatalistic sword salute to the Uruk-hai (along with his warcry of "Elendil!") just before he battles them symbolises his giving over of his life to his destiny. His vow to Boromir, his captaincy at Helm's Deep, his acceptance of Thranduil, and his journey through the Paths of the Dead are all transformative steps to the destiny he's already decided to accept.

Wait, did I miss something? That sounds like an interesting story. Wink

#OneLastTime

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2015, 7:19pm

Post #6 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't you remember Thranduil's ringing endorsement of Aragorn in BotFA? It was mutual admiration from the get-go. Wink

*gets busy writing a gripping fan-fic*

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 20 2015, 9:49pm

Post #7 of 7 (963 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant "Anduril", though the mistake does make a bizarre sort of sense.

The tremendous landscape of Middle-earth, the psychological and moral universe of The Lord of the Rings, is built up by repetition, semi-repetition, suggestion, foreshadowing, recollection, echo, and reversal. Through it the story goes forward at its steady, human gait. There, and back again.
-Ursula K. LeGuin, Rhythmic Patterning in The Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.