The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New race introduced in BOFA: Ogres

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Jan 12 2015, 11:14pm

Post #1 of 15 (2070 views)
Shortcut
New race introduced in BOFA: Ogres Can't Post

... although nothing special is made of it. I missed some kind of introduction to them, to help the audience to identify them as a separate race. Too bad, considering that they're a group of creatures we've never met before, so I actually expected a slightly bigger deal being made about they're appearance at the battle. Now they're just believed to be small trolls or big orcs. We see them at least three times: one is seen briefly, commanding the catapult trolls outside Dale, one is about to attack Bard's children and getting run over by him in a cart, and the last one is attacking Alfrid and getting shot by Bard.

From the Chronicles book:

During Bilbo's riddle game with Gollum in the book of The Hobbit, there is a passing reference to an Ogre. It is the only time such a creature is mentioned in Tolkien's writings, but it afforded us with a tantalizing opportunity to assign a name legitimately derived from the source material to a new class of being that might sit somewhere between the largest Orcs and the smallest trolls.

Daniel Falconer, Weta Workshop Designer

Our brief was to conceive some battle creatures that weren't Orcs or Trolls but maybe somewhere in between. I imagined this particular character as slow and sluggish, waving around a fairly simple spiked club and wearing little armour. This guy wouldn't be high on the intelligence scale and I imagined that his weapons and gear were probably given to him by whomever he served. I tried to keep the features and physiology simian-derived and not too complicated or fanciful.

Andrew Baker, Weta Workshop Designer

Maybe they'lll get a proper introduction in the EE? What did you think about the ogres?

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jan 12 2015, 11:44pm

Post #2 of 15 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Personally [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't too keen on the designs. They actually reminded me of trolls from Harry Potter!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 12:25am

Post #3 of 15 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Descendant of Draugluin or Carcharoth [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have preferred something more original such as a Werewolf commanding the Wargs or a Vampire (like Sauron's servant Thuringwethil) directing the bats.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."
- Tony Isabella, The First Church of Godzilla (Reform)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 1:14am

Post #4 of 15 (1403 views)
Shortcut
well, they didn't spend much time on their CG that's for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were animated so poorly, they'd have looked dodgy in the early 2000s, let alone 2014. Crazy

* crunch *

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 13 2015, 1:22am

Post #5 of 15 (1402 views)
Shortcut
There was no "big deal" introduction of olog hai in RotK either... [In reply to] Can't Post

People can see they're kind of like a type of troll. Point is, they're big, evil and we gotta kill 'em. That's all that matters.

As for looking like trolls in Harry Potter, people have been saying that since 2001, when Harry Potter's toilet troll looked a bit like the cave troll Crazy

I agree they didn't look realistic, but neither does anything in these films, so they didn't really stand out to me. I'd have a bigger problem with the troll walking on ball-stilts.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 13 2015, 1:24am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 13 2015, 1:36am

Post #6 of 15 (1422 views)
Shortcut
I think I can answer the "what are the ogres" question for you all... [In reply to] Can't Post

The AUJ commentary, PJ mentions that the Great Goblin is not a goblin! He's some other type of creature that has mutated and is ruling the goblins (hence his size). Now, considering these "ogres" turn up to battle with the goblins, I think it's safe to say these are somehow related to the Great Goblin, possibly his sons.

I think the Great Goblin's kin entered the battle to get revenge for the Goblin Ki- er... Great Goblin's death. So it's unfortunate to me that none of them have a little showdown with Gandalf. Obviously they wouldn't stand a chance against him, so that could have been cool to see.

In the book the goblins do turn up to battle in order to avenge the Great Goblin, so it's in keeping with that concept as well as the idea of Bolg avenging Azog. Perhaps the EE will expand on this a little more. I don't think it needs to, but it's a possibility guess. Smile

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jan 13 2015, 1:41am)

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 7:45am

Post #7 of 15 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that would have been awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

The more monsters, the better, IMO.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 8:08am

Post #8 of 15 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it wouldn't exactly have bothered me if there was some kind explanation for or introduction to the olog-hai too.

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 8:42am

Post #9 of 15 (1236 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting theory! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't watched the AUJ commentary, but it makes sense. GG is very different from the other goblins in both looks and size, and maybe he is somewhat ogre-like.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 1:34pm

Post #10 of 15 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Alternately... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The AUJ commentary, PJ mentions that the Great Goblin is not a goblin! He's some other type of creature that has mutated and is ruling the goblins (hence his size). Now, considering these "ogres" turn up to battle with the goblins, I think it's safe to say these are somehow related to the Great Goblin, possibly his sons.

...the Great Goblin might have been a monstrous Gundabad Orc. That would be in keeping with the idea from the book that he was kin to Azog and Bolg. I think that some Misty Mountain goblins are mixed in with the Orc troops at the Battle of Five Armies; they should be accompanying the army led by Bolg. At least the goblins are mentioned in TH:BofFA Chronicles: Art & Design along with some illustrations of them in battle gear.

"The Great Scaly One protects us from alien invaders and ourselves with his fiery atomic love. It can be a tough love - the “folly of man” and all that - but Godzilla is a fair god.

"Godzilla is totally accepting of all people and faiths. For it is written that liberal or conservative, Christian or Muslim or Jew, straight or gay, all people sound pretty much the identical as they are crushed beneath his mighty feet."

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 13 2015, 1:42pm

Post #11 of 15 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Goblins [In reply to] Can't Post

There was Goblins at Ravenhill. Thorin and Dwalin fought them. I think they were supposed to be the first wave of Bolg's army. I think Thorin said they were mercenaries.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 13 2015, 1:48pm

Post #12 of 15 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There was Goblins at Ravenhill. Thorin and Dwalin fought them. I think they were supposed to be the first wave of Bolg's army. I think Thorin said they were mercenaries.

I'm not sure how Thorin could know that they were mercenaries, 'though some could certainly have had motives other than revenge.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 13 2015, 1:58pm

Post #13 of 15 (1177 views)
Shortcut
DWALIN has the Biggest Body COUNT... [In reply to] Can't Post

AFTER What he did in GoblinTown?

" there is only about a HUNDRED of them..
We will take them out "

or somethingie like that

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 13 2015, 2:01pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 13 2015, 4:08pm

Post #14 of 15 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you can even see them running ahead when Bolg's army marches out of Gundabad.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 13 2015, 4:38pm

Post #15 of 15 (1185 views)
Shortcut
This may not be correct, but this is how I view the goblins... [In reply to] Can't Post

The orcs are the big, scary, war-loving soldiers. They're organised creatures that follow the instructions of their commanders. They work in complex regiments and generally reside in fortresses. In The Hobbit it's Dol Guldur and Gundabad,

The goblins are much less organised and are kind of like ants. They do have a leader, but they're much less regimented and don't really do formations, they live in huge caverns underground. As the book says, there are large networks underground through which the goblins communicate. These run all over Middle-earth.

The reason we see goblins coming out of the ground with Azog's Dol Guldur orcs, is because they live underground and probably just followed the were-worms to the battlefield, possibly with their own agenda of avenging the Great Goblin. I imagine they don't really care about Azog at all and just want to kill whatever they can.

When we see Gundabad though, we see that the goblins have joined forces with Bolg, probably for money (hence "goblin mercenaries"). These guys are just used by Bolg to create a distraction and, we see from the way they exit Gundabad, they don't follow the regiments and kind of do their own thing.

So I think PJ just wanted to answer the question of: Who do these Goblins all follow when the Great Goblin fell? So he's created these ogres (which I believe are the Great Goblin's kin) to lead the goblins, or at least to aim their chaos in the right direction.

Perhaps these ogres are all kings of their own little Goblin Towns from different places.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 13 2015, 4:40pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.