Questions on Elves
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2015, 4:18pm

Post #26 of 35 (1113 views)
Shortcut
neat idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien actually did that with Beleg and Turin.

Turin was a kid, wandering on the (confusing, because of spells protecting the kingdom) marches of Doriath when Beleg (Marchwarden) found him. The tale is scattered through Unfinished Tales, Lost Tales and the Silmarillion, and now brought together in Children of Hurin.

Beleg was impressed with the character of the lost kid, and remains his loyal friend unto death.

Neat recap of their lives here: https://everydayepic.wordpress.com/tag/beleg/

https://everydayepic.wordpress.com/2014/11/05/the-silmarillion-recap-enter-turin/

All in all dear writer, it is your tale.

While I personally try to stay as close to the intent of the original author as possible, I did perpetrate a tale in which the reason Legolas is chosen for the Fellowship of the Ring has quite a lot to do with a game of frisbee...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1077980/1/Legolas-Shall-Be-For-The-Elves

(and the fact that Power will do no good on the quest, but youthful flexibility and adaptability will)

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 14 2015, 4:32am

Post #27 of 35 (1085 views)
Shortcut
A couple of thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know when the area around Lorien was populated with villages but if there was such a time it might have been before the Great Plague in Third Age 1636-1637. Which also might be a reason villagers would be so heartless as to refuse to help a couple of strange desperate kids. Elves being immune to such things might make them more inclined to be helpful, though I suspect they would watch and follow them first, just as they did with the company of the fellowship. On the other hand, the elves might jump out of the trees and save them if the kids were being chased by orcs.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Telellė
The Shire

Jan 14 2015, 12:26pm

Post #28 of 35 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not that the villages turned them away; they didn't. They tried to help, but nothing worked. The villages aren't that close to Lorien. The kids travelled for a good while to get there, thinking that was their last option and greatest chance of success.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jan 14 2015, 12:40pm

Post #29 of 35 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Elves Certainly Capable of Going Bat-stircrazy, but Have Great Compassion Too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Telelle, good luck with your story. As you are soliciting input, thought I'd share with you.....

1) Feanor the great jewel craftsman, was the highest Elven royalty you could get, made the greatest gems of all the Middle Earth ages, the Silmarils. Yet he broke vows to the Valar, started the Great War with Morgoth, cost so many lives, was involved in the Kinslaying ((Elf kills Elf, terrible crime, very complicated, will refer you to Silmarillion or info books)) , all because he had a hunger and greed for these powerful beautiful precious stones. Drove him as mad as the One Ring drove Gollum, Boromir, Denethor mad and almost Frodo too, who was teetering on the brink literally at the Cracks of Mt. Doom))

2) Movie Galadriel was compassionate and showed some affection, even a giggle, to a favored few--Gimli who boldly asked her for her hair samples--Frodo cause she knew so much was riding on him, pressure he was under, he got a stately kiss--Aragorn whose face she touches as she tells him he is at the great crossroads of his life--and she has great feeling for Gandalf, seems to find him fascinating even, knows his mind, wants to find out more, his mysteries. She too knows how hard Gandalf works, the toll the War of the Ring is taking on him, even helps him come back from death in LOTR. So she is capable of some affection, but I do not think she would be especially attached to your story kids. Would aid them out of elf humanitarianism. Wants to know what they are running from and why. Would think kids get passed on through chains/levels of command, debriefed, find out who they are, why they seek elf help, and whose kids are they and how they can be returned to them. And perhaps ultimately they will appear before the Lord and Lady to answer some of these questions. ((Quite a powerful scene for your kids))

She was also capable of evil and she knew it. She goes witch queen crazy for a few moments in book and movie LOTR when Frodo offers her the Ring. She recovers and resumes her normal appearance but only after a great display of willpower that leaves her visibly shaken. She is powerful enough to suppress her darkest side, accept that the Elves will diminish, and she will leave for Valinor. The ring might have been her last chance to save elves and give them permanent power if you think about it. But wise Noldorin princess that she is, she knows she too would succumb to evil, and knows the ring has to be destroyed.

3) "Do not go to the elves for advice, they will answer yes and no."--Bilbo. Elves worst trait seems indecision and procrastinating. At Council of Elrond, noone can decide what to do about the Ring, except Frodo. For all their power, insight, the Elves and other Free Folk could not make a decision. The little Hobbit did it for them. In his treatment of the Dwarves, Thranduil in Hobbit book clearly is not cruel, they are imprisoned but decently taken care of. He just wants them to talk. Unsure what to do about them until first he finds out what they know and then he will decide what to do. The spiders were the only creatures the Elves had no mercy on, otherwise Tolkien said they were a good, kindly people.

4) Elves showed compassion for Laketowners with food, supplies, though it was not entirely altruistic as Thrandul had, guess what, a hankering for some jewels again. Also in the dark days of Mirkwood before the War of Ring, there may have many instances of Misty Mt. orcs raiding Mirkwood colonies of woodmen, human communities along rivers, travellers along the great roads. Elves themselves hunted orcs and might have encountered villages ransacked and refugees on occasion. I would think they would have some experience offering aid to those in need, but like Gildor Inglorion in book LOTR, Fellowship, with Frodo and company, just help them for the night, make them aware of peril, supply them for the road, and clearly part ways in the morning, Elves seem to rarely commandeer, Galadriel probed the minds of the Fellowship and let them make their own choices to stay or go. And if they stayed they were to aid in the defense of Lorien, no such thing as a free lunch.

The 13th Warrior
Pondering the Silmarils, "They're really shiny, they seem to glow from inside...hmmmmm" See now you have me tempted.

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on Jan 14 2015, 12:46pm)

Telellė
The Shire

Jan 14 2015, 5:04pm

Post #30 of 35 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, what a great response. Thank you.

I don't imagine Galadriel would be overly attached to them, but I do think she would, reading the fear and desperation in their hearts, perhaps act warm toward them. And perhaps motherly. I don't think she would sit their and snuggle them or anything, but I imagine her sitting on the edge of the bed as th girl falls asleep if she's crying after a particularly scary day. Maybe gently stroke her hair or her cheek, maybe rub her back or something, tell her a story... At least that's what I imagine. Just warm and nurturing, yet distant enough and regal.

Telellė
The Shire

Jan 15 2015, 12:13am

Post #31 of 35 (1041 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

My concern is: is that out of character for Galadriel? Being that nurturing and warm and stuff?

Nerven
Rivendell

Jan 15 2015, 1:50am

Post #32 of 35 (1038 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

That“s not easy to answer, with her child and her 3 grandchildren I have no problem imagining that, they seem to have a very good relationship (visits and all) and most elves love their children very much but with those unfamilar children!?!? I think that would take time for Galadriel to get that fond of the children, get to know them a bit and them being mortal, that would be difficult. I rather envision her reserved to strangers, maybe because she“s so old, saw many die and doesn“t want to get too involed in their fate, cause it would hurt so much? Dunno, just some thoughts on my fav character.

Telellė
The Shire

Jan 15 2015, 2:12am

Post #33 of 35 (1031 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'd imagine it would take some time. They are going to be there for a while. It's not an easy fix, what the boy has. It's a very serious illness that none yet have been able to figure out. It'll take a while for the healers to try and get to the bottom of what's happening, if they are even able to.

I imagine after Sieglinde is brought before the lord and the lady, and Galadriel reads the genuine fear and desperation and care in her heart, she becomes more lenient with the children, seeing that their intentions are pure. That's when I think she would begin taking a direct part in the aid of the girl's sibling and stuff like that.

Idk how does that sound?

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jan 15 2015, 10:20am

Post #34 of 35 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Let's not forget Galadriel is a skilled in Elvish healing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Telelle and thanks for your thanks, I'd like to point out, and you are very tolerant to take in creative input from all sectors, that Galadriel herself is a tremendous healer, a master of Elvish medicine. When the mysterious heavenly powers of the One, Eru, brought Gandalf back from death after his fight with the Balrog in Moria, it was Galadriel who restored him to physical human health. Not only is she a healer with a ring of power, the land of Lorien itself has powers to cure because it is such a pure, magical land that sustains the Elves--time passes slowly, little or no decay.

So it is quite possible she might feel the need, urgency to heal this child, who is gravely ill, then find out more about both of the kids. Also there is her suffering a mother's loss in her own life, since her daughter Celebrian, mother of Arwen, was captured, poisoned and tortured by orcs and had to leave Middle Earth to heal in Valinor. Perhaps this might make her sensitized to the needs of children.

The movies showed us several instances of healing: Arwen feels tremendous anguish as Frodo is near death and prays for him, "Let him be spared," she seems to ask that her life force be given to him to save him. Wonder if that was when she went on the clock and became more mortal, and Sauron begins to have an evil influence over her health. Elrond was also in on Frodo's treatment, whereas in Hobbit films, Tauriel heals Kili. It's a powerful moment for the sick person as they seem to see the Elves as the shining beings they are inside while they are being restored. Lots of medical herbs and magic spells cast.

Some of your ideas about Galadriel giving comfort to children would seem to come into play here--she would certainly be compassionate and caring in the treatment and recovery of the ill child.The council of Elrond made it clear the 3 Elven rings were created for good and had to be used for the good, preserving, sustaining life. In ROTK book, it's mentioned after the War of the Ring, she destroyed Dol Goldur and cleansed it and the region around it of evil remnants. Anyway it's nice of you to let us in on your story.

The 13th Warrior
Wondering if Elvish medicine is in the Physician's Desk Reference.

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on Jan 15 2015, 10:21am)

Telellė
The Shire

Jan 15 2015, 1:07pm

Post #35 of 35 (1047 views)
Shortcut
I'm flattered [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you again. Your input is very well thought out, and I can tell you out a lot of effort into your responses. Thank you for helping me with writing. :)

I know Galadriel is a powerful healer, especially with Nenya, but what I wasn't sure of was if she could heal cancers. I wan planning for the boy to have Leukemia, though they probably didn't have any way to find it then or treat it without chemo or bone marrow transplants and such. I wasn't sure if Galadriel would be able to pinpoint what was wrong with Zelig, the boy, and heal him.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.