Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Anyone been to the films with the music played live?

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 8 2015, 9:23pm

Post #1 of 13 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Anyone been to the films with the music played live? Can't Post

Surely some of you have been to the LotR movies played with the music by a live orchestra.

Would you mind sharing your experiences?

I got tickets for RotK for Christmas and I am really looking forward to it.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Name
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 9:34pm

Post #2 of 13 (1144 views)
Shortcut
No, [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've watched all the videos of the performances on YouTube. So yes, I'm very jealous of you right now. Laugh

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2015, 9:40pm

Post #3 of 13 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Here's my reaction from October 9, 2009... [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to Radio City Music Hall for the Fellowship of the Ring Live to Projection Performance. It was a Friday night. Since memory can play tricks, I'll simply quote my initial reaction from the next morning, which I originally posted here on the boards:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=218367;#218367

It's hard to think about last night. It almost seems like I'm thinking about a dream when I remember it. Seeing this amazing film with so many people who love and cherish it as much as I do, in such a new and fascinating way, was an experience I'm not likely to ever forget. This wasn't just about seeing the movie - or even listening to Howard Shore's music. This was about sharing an experience - sharing it with family, friends, fellow audience members, and most importantly - the musicians on stage. It's so amazing to be sitting with an audience who would clap not only at a funny part in the movie, or when the heroes appeared on screen - but also when a soloist would finish their performance, when the chorus would rock the house, or when Howard's amazing "Fellowship Theme" would come out full force.

The music itself was so amazingly well done that there were honestly times when I forgot it was being performed live. I honestly thought, in brief moments, that I was simply hearing the original soundtrack. Smile But then there would be a startling new detail in the music that I hadn't noticed before that brought my focus back down to the performers. I just sat there and marveled at the talent I was witnessing before my very eyes.

At the start of the evening, I thought my night was going to be ruined. The row behind me was filled with younger kids who were ridiculously loud. One (a girl) was obviously a hardcore fan (who kept talking and talking about the movies), and the rest of them had not a clue what the movie was about. Aside from a few wispers in the first 5 minutes, they became sucked into the movie and were blown away by the end.

Aside from a couple of people who got up and exited, most everyone stayed in their seats and listened intently throughout the end credits (honestly I don't see how anyone could leave before - did they honestly pay all that money to simply see the movie again?!). The girl and the young boy who sang "May It Be" and "In Dreams" (respectively) damn near brought tears to my eyes. I felt a mixture of awe and pride. Also, I can barely describe the intense emotions I felt as the final rendition of the Fellowship Theme came to a climax and the entire audience went wild in a mix of clapping and cheers. After the end, the audience enthusiastically clapped and cheered for all of the performers several times over, and then went even more wild as Howard Shore, Billy Boyd, and Elijah Wood came out on stage (I swear I heard one girl in the audience screech out "OMG!!! IT'S ELIJAH WOOD!!!!!!!!!" Laugh)

Excellent amazing experience through and through. I really wish it could have gone on and on. There was an ad at the end for The Two Towers next year, which actually got a lot of laughs from some people (including me - this trip has been near financial suicide already, it'd be near impossible to attempt again Smile). But if I was going to do this once, I'm glad it was this film. The Theatrical Edition of FotR has always been special to me, in that it introduced me to Peter Jackson's take on Middle Earth. I don't think I'd felt so much of a thrill watching this since the first time I saw it.

What a great night. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 8 2015, 9:43pm

Post #4 of 13 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds amazing :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Faleel
Rohan

Jan 9 2015, 3:13am

Post #5 of 13 (1128 views)
Shortcut
I have heard [In reply to] Can't Post

that there is music in the Live performances that is not in the films or on the Soundtracks.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2015, 6:56am

Post #6 of 13 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Yes - I saw all 3 films at the Royal Albert Hall with Howard Shore. [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a fantastic experience it was. It added so much to the films having the music live! You will spend more time watching the musicians than the movie.

A must for everyone.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 7:13am

Post #7 of 13 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Not even [In reply to] Can't Post

slightly jealous. Frown

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 9 2015, 7:35am

Post #8 of 13 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Thanks1 [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I will to watch the musicians more.

I already love the short DVD from the RotK EE.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 7:36pm

Post #9 of 13 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Radio City, some time back [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed it for the spectacle (or the audio equivalent of spectacle) that it was. The idea that a live orchestra and chorus can follow a three-hour film score straight through is daunting, and then they do it.

That said, there are some penalties to be paid:

1. The dialogue and sound effects are dialed down so that the music takes precedence. Subtitles help with the dialogue. But if you think about it, this is not what the film's director and producer wanted: artistically, they wanted the music score to be in balance with the dialogue and sound effects. They achieved that by muting the music whenever necessary. That can't be done in the live concert version, so you're not seeing the film at its best.

2. Similarly, the lighting is not darkened to film theater standards. There is mid level lighting so the audience can see and appreciate the musicians' work, and so the musicians can see their scores and the conductor. This tends to wash out the film projected on the screen. Again, the point is that this is not about the film; it's about the score.

The upshot is (and it's no reason not to go if you think you'll like it): you're hearing a live performance of the full score, played straight through. The film is there, in an inferior presentation, to help you appreciate the score.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jan 10 2015, 11:25pm

Post #10 of 13 (1101 views)
Shortcut
saw ROTK played in Grand Rapids, MI a few years ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really a lot of fun. Alot of care goes into reproducing the score. And there is something truly magical about hearing the music played live, not just in your headphones or stereo.

Really makes a appreciate all the thought and detail that went into crafting the score.

I saw it with somebody who hadn't seen any of the LOTR movies, they were still moved to tears by Grey Havens scene.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2015, 5:48pm

Post #11 of 13 (1081 views)
Shortcut
not even [In reply to] Can't Post

slightly jealous

Tongue

(wow)

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Elentari03
Rivendell

Jan 13 2015, 5:54pm

Post #12 of 13 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and [In reply to] Can't Post

it is a fantastic experience. I saw FOTR at Wolf Trap and am going to see all three LOTR movies at Lincoln Center.

ponybarfly

Jan 19 2015, 2:56pm

Post #13 of 13 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Saw the LotR Symphony [In reply to] Can't Post

years ago, and it was awesome, and even managed a quick photo and autograph with the Maestro Mr Shore afterwards. Would love to do a score-to-screening one day, but 'till then this will keep me going. And the Complete Recordings of course.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.