The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Farewell to Lorien 5: "I got a jar of dirt!"

Menelwyn
Rohan

Mar 19 2008, 5:08pm

Post #1 of 24 (2142 views)
Shortcut
Farewell to Lorien 5: "I got a jar of dirt!" Can't Post

...with apologies to Captain Jack Sparrow.

Now let’s address the individual gifts given to the members of the Fellowship.

Aragorn’s first gift is a special sheath for Anduril. Galadriel says of it, “The blade that is drawn from this sheath shall not be stained or broken even in defeat.” Aragorn replies with an indirect reference to Arwen, and Galadriel then gives him “a great stone of clear green, set in a silver brooch that was wrought in the likeness of an eagle with outspread wings.” She had once given it to Celebrian, who gave it to Arwen, and “now it comes to you as a token of hope. In this hour take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil!”

1. How does the sheath work?

2. What’s the whole deal with the Elfstone? And who foretold that Aragorn would be known as Elessar? Was it a self-fulfilling prophecy, if Galadriel knew it and gave Aragorn the stone that would be the source of the name?

“…she turned then to Boromir, and to him she gave a belt of gold; and to Merry and Pippin she gave small silver belts, each with a clasp wrought like a golden flower.”

3. Are these belts stupid gifts?

Legolas receives a “longer and stouter” bow strung with elf-hair, along with a quiver of arrows.

4. Is there anything special about this bow? What would be the advantage of an elf-hair bowstring?

Sam gets a box of special dirt. “Though you should find all barren and laid waste, there will be few gardens in Middle-earth that will bloom like your garden, if you sprinkle this earth there.”

5. In retrospect, this seems like a pretty impressive gift. How does it seem at this point in the story? How does the dirt work? Why couldn’t this special dirt have been distributed more widely before Galadriel left Middle-earth?

Galadriel invites Gimli to name his own gift. He initially refuses, then at her insistence requests a strand of her hair. Of this request, Galadriel says, “none have ever made to me a request so bold and yet so courteous.” She not only fulfills his request, but gives him three strands.

6. Why does Gimli get to choose his gift and the others don’t? Why is his request so astonishing, and why is he embarrassed to ask for it? What makes the request so courteous?

In a passage in Unfinished Tales written well after LOTR, we have this: “For Feanor beheld the hair of Galadriel with wonder and delight. He begged three times for a tress, but Galadriel would not give him even one hair.”

7. What does this little statement add to our understanding of the passage in LOTR?

Finally, we get to Frodo, who receives “a small crystal phial” which contains the light of Earendil’s star.

8. What is a “phial” and why does Tolkien choose this word? As a first-time reader, what did you understand of this gift? How do you understand it now?

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 19 2008, 5:56pm

Post #2 of 24 (1636 views)
Shortcut
The Holy Hand Grenade of Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s got a hole in the top the sword fits in. The hilt of the sword sticks out so you can pull it out again. It also has a clasp so you can hang it on your belt.

2. What’s the whole deal with the Elfstone?

It seems to be a gift from Arwen instead of Galadriel.

And who foretold that Aragorn would be known as Elessar?

Arwen foretold it. Apparently she’s as been busy trying out married names. She obviously doesn’t like “Mrs. Aragorn”, and “Mrs. Strider” is right out. “Mrs. Elessar” seems to be the one Arwen prefers.

Was it a self-fulfilling prophecy, if Galadriel knew it and gave Aragorn the stone that would be the source of the name?

It’s more a big hint from his bride-to-be. And if Aragorn is smart, yes, it will be self-fulfilling.

Not if you’re Anglo-Saxon. The bestowing of a belt by a ruler is a great honor. It represents the granting of a noble title, thus the phrase “belted earl”. It’s interesting that M&P also are granted titles in Rohan and Gondor respectively. They’ll end up with more titles than a Turkish sultan.

Legolas receives a “longer and stouter” bow strung with elf-hair, along with a quiver of arrows.

4. Is there anything special about this bow?

Ask the French at Agincourt.

What would be the advantage of an elf-hair bowstring?

This way he can replace it even if there’s no sheep intestines around.

5. In retrospect, this seems like a pretty impressive gift. How does it seem at this point in the story?

He’s a gardener, so it seems appropriate. And they are going to Mordor, a barren wasteland.

How does the dirt work?

Obviously a 10,000-10,000-10,000 nitrogen/phosphorus/potassium fertilizer. I can only get 20-20-20 down at the WalMart myself.

Why couldn’t this special dirt have been distributed more widely before Galadriel left Middle-earth?

Magic is love. Is there anyone who loves the gardens of the Shire more than Sam?

6. Why does Gimli get to choose his gift and the others don’t?

What *can* you get the Dwarf who has everything?

Why is his request so astonishing, and why is he embarrassed to ask for it?

A lock of hair is very personal. It is eternal, so it is said by some to contain the soul. A lock of hair can assure that the possessor has the subject's eternal love. Evil enchanters can do great harm to someone if they can get hold of a lock of their hair. It's really not cool to ask for a lock of hair from someone unless you're very very close.

What makes the request so courteous?

“I do not ask for such a gift. But you commanded me to name my desire.”

7. What does this little statement add to our understanding of the passage in LOTR?

Gimli is going to make a silmaril. Since it’s made out of love rather than spite it shouldn’t have the curse of its predecessors.

8. What is a “phial”…

A vial.

…and why does Tolkien choose this word?

To be fancy.

As a first-time reader, what did you understand of this gift?

It’s like a keychain flashlight.

How do you understand it now?

It’s a holy hand grenade of light.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

acheron
Gondor

Mar 19 2008, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 24 (1635 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well, thank you.

2. What’s the whole deal with the Elfstone? And who foretold that Aragorn would be known as Elessar? Was it a self-fulfilling prophecy, if Galadriel knew it and gave Aragorn the stone that would be the source of the name?

The Elfstone thing has always been a bit confusing to me as well. I seem to recall that Gandalf made the prophecy, and that I just read that in the past couple days. The only thing I've read recently is Unfinished Tales, so perhaps it's in there (alternately I could be making that up, but...)

Pretty much.

4. Is there anything special about this bow? What would be the advantage of an elf-hair bowstring?

It gives +2d6 damage vs. Fell Beasts.

5. In retrospect, this seems like a pretty impressive gift. How does it seem at this point in the story? How does the dirt work? Why couldn’t this special dirt have been distributed more widely before Galadriel left Middle-earth?

Maybe there's not much of it. But that would make the gift even more impressive, if she's giving away what little there is.

8. What is a “phial” and why does Tolkien choose this word? As a first-time reader, what did you understand of this gift? How do you understand it now?

Same word as "vial". The ph- spelling is truer to the original Greek word and its Latin form, but the v- spelling became more common when it was adopted into English.

I first read it when I was 10, about 16 years ago, so I don't really remember. I don't think I really knew what it was. The R-B ROTK cartoon sort of informed my image later on (I saw it soon after finishing the book).

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

(This post was edited by acheron on Mar 19 2008, 5:58pm)

Milady
Rivendell

Mar 19 2008, 8:32pm

Post #4 of 24 (1632 views)
Shortcut
And guess what's inside it! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I assume it has some sort of elf-magic so that when Anduril is put in it it casts an enchantment over the blade. My question is, does it wear off if the sword isn't put back in the sheath?

3. Well, I don't think the belts are stupid, because the saound nice and ceremonial when read, but in all practicality, what is it that makes these belts different from the ones they already had? Maybe they work a little bit like Anduril's sheath.

4. Elf-hair string probably just means the string won't break as easily as normal bowstrings.

7. It makes me wonder just how hard Galadriel was trying to overawe Gimli, and whether Gimli knew that about her refusal to Feanor.

8. At first read, I didn't know what a phial was, but when she said it was filled with water I took it to be some sort of bottle. I was wondering when I read it how a bottle of water would come in handy, and how it would be a light for him, because to me at the time it was just a special water bottle. I still don't understand how the reflection of Earendil would cause the water to light up on command.

Nice questions though, I never really thought about the gifts that way.

Has anyone ever wondered what would have happened if Smaug had ate Bilbo, and therefore the ring? It would be interesting to see Sauron send orcs to go diving for the Ring.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 19 2008, 11:06pm

Post #5 of 24 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Freud Alert! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me get this straight. Galadriel offers Aragorn a sheathe for his sword and he immediately starts talking about his desire for her granddaughter? And so it is at that moment that she follows Elvish custom where mothers of the bride (or grandmothers, in Mom's absence) signal the family's permission to wed by the gift of a rock to the groom. Just exactly how symbolic is Aragorn's "sword" yearning to find a snug home in the "sheath" that has been in Galadriel's custody?

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2008, 11:57pm

Post #6 of 24 (1620 views)
Shortcut
ew, I don't like Freud- he's annoying [In reply to] Can't Post

3. I'd say that although the belts don't do much, I don't think that Galadriel would intentionally give a "stupid" gift- the flower might represents a mellorn, maybe? It would be a nice token of Lorien, sort of symbolic, especially since Boromir, Merry, and Pippin don't get their own dirt to grow mellorn trees with. Well, Boromir is not going to last too long anyways, so it's maybe ok if he gets a "stupid" gift- not to be mean or anything, but it's probably better if Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn get better presents, or Legolas, since they are going to go farther with them, but Galadriel probably was not thinking about that.

7. Feanor was a greater being, power-wise, than Gimli, but Gimli asked humbly, only after being pressed to reveal his choice of gift by Galadriel. I think it shows a little bit of Galadriel's personality, and her values; while an elf-king could not get a single hair from her head, a dwarf, or Nauglamir- stunted person (the Elven name sort of shows how much respect Elves have for Dwarves in general) could get three. But Feanor was one of her own people, who betrayed her by leaving her stranded on Valinor, while Gimli overcame any natural dislike that he had for Elves to be respectful and courteous to her, and I think that Galadriel was maybe showing how appreciative she was of that small kindness, by giving him what she did not give even to her own uncle.

(This post was edited by laerasea on Mar 20 2008, 12:01am)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2008, 2:28am

Post #7 of 24 (1616 views)
Shortcut
Now tell me whatcha want, whatcha really really want [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know -- how do those swords that light up in the presence of orcs work?

No. They are a beautiful lasting memory of their time in Lorien.

Well, it's a better bow than the one he had. Galadriel recognized that he had the need and the skill to use an upgrade.

At this point in the story for my first several readings, I thought, "What? He gets a box of dirt?" The difficulty and hazards of the journey makes it seem unlikely that Sam will ever get to use this gift, even if he makes it home. I came to appreciate it later. For one thing, it's another symbol of hope. As to why it wasn't distributed more widely, who is to say it wasn't? Ithilien, for example, became the garden of Gondor again after the war and I believe some of Legolas' people came to live there.

6. Why does Gimli get to choose his gift and the others don’t? Why is his request so astonishing, and why is he embarrassed to ask for it? What makes the request so courteous?
I think Galadriel is really putting Gimli on the spot here, and he handles it with remarkable grace.

I figured it out from the context. This was another gift that I worried about surviving the trip. A glass bottle for someone who has to hike up and down a few more mountains yet? Come on!

Where's Frodo?

(This post was edited by Finding Frodo on Mar 20 2008, 2:29am)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 20 2008, 10:36am

Post #8 of 24 (1609 views)
Shortcut
The art of giving [In reply to] Can't Post

How do we know it does? The sword is never defeated, as far as we hear in the story. But it might work in two ways: one, very practically, by being made with great skill to fit the blade exactly, so as to keep it from rust or anything else that might weaken or stain it. And two, by giving the bearer a belief in its power, adding to his own confidence in the sword and therefore making it more likely that he will wield it successfully. Or three (I should have said, it might work in three ways) it could be magic...

It does seem hard to claim something is a prophecy when the people able to make it come true knew the prophecy beforehand.

I always thought they were just generic and fairly impersonal "noble" gifts until I read Darkstone's post. Since Tolkien was so often inspired by real traditions such as those described by Darkstone, it does seem likely that he had these associations in mind, even if most readers wouldn't "get" them. I suppose the belts are sword-belts, and Merry and Pippin do have very special swords already, from the barrow. Those swords will turn out to be important later, so perhaps the gift of a belt to enhance those swords is quite appropriate and not so impersonal after all.

Well, a quick look on bowmaking sites tells me that bowstrings used to be made of fibres such as hemp. The problem with these fibres is that, although they have natural elasticity (which is good), over time the fibres stretch and don't recover (which, of course, is bad). So I'm guessing that elf-hair is both strong and naturally elastic, and that it keeps its elasticity over time. The sites I read also warn against using an ordinary bow with special strings that are not designed for them, so I expect that this bow is made especially for use with elf-hair strings. I would think that the Lothlorien Elves are giving Legolas a great honour by allowing him to use a technology that they have developed for themselves - normally, I think, they would not share such technology with the other Elf races.

Sam gets a box of special dirt. “Though you should find all barren and laid waste, there will be few gardens in Middle-earth that will bloom like your garden, if you sprinkle this earth there.”

Galadriel is rewarding Sam, I think, for his decision to carry on with the Quest even after seeing his home laid waste in the Mirror. In storytelling terms, she is pretty much guaranteeing that he will return home - for it's story convention that gifts such as this, with a designated purpose, will eventually perform that purpose (there is still plenty of room for manoeuvre at this point - many things could happen to allow the gift to be used even if Sam doesn't make it home. But we are specifically reminded of the gift just before the final attempt on Mount Doom, and at that point, for me, it serves its traditional story-purpose - it tells us Sam will make it home!)

Galadriel invites Gimli to name his own gift. He initially refuses, then at her insistence requests a strand of her hair. Of this request, Galadriel says, “none have ever made to me a request so bold and yet so courteous.” She not only fulfills his request, but gives him three strands.

Well, perhaps she asks because she doesn't know what to give a dwarf - fair enough, since it's very difficult to find gifts for people who are your rivals. It's so easy to insult them by giving them something that they think they could have made better themselves. No Elvish jewel or metalwork would really be a suitable gift for a Dwarf. Galadriel is a consummate diplomat. So, knowing she has made a conquest of Gimli, she goes on to seal her conquest by giving him this unprecedented honour, of requesting his own gift. Gimli and Galadriel are playing at the conventions of "courtly love", where a suitor makes a request that he says he is completely unworthy of receiving, and the Lady gives the gift to show her own perfect generosity. Courtesy on both sides, it's win-win!

In a passage in Unfinished Tales written well after LOTR, we have this: “For Feanor beheld the hair of Galadriel with wonder and delight. He begged three times for a tress, but Galadriel would not give him even one hair.”

I like the repetition of the number three - Feanor asked three times, but received not one hair. Gimli asked once, but received three. And I bet Feanor forgot to say he was unworthy, which is why he failed!

As far as I recall, I imagined a smaller and simpler crystal vial than the one in the movie, which would certainly have been pretty hard to keep safe all that way! I don't remember whether "phial" seemed an odd word to me at the time. It seems a very ordinary word to me now, but maybe that's because I've read the book so many times. Or maybe it's because it's fairly common in British usage? Here's a very modern use of the word from a BBC report:

Reports that a phial containing the foot-and-mouth virus went missing from the Porton Down research laboratories have been raised at a public inquiry into the disease.

(In fact, I always imagined Galadriel's "phial" as just a fancier design of the kind of sample-tube that's implied in that report.)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 20 2008, 5:58pm

Post #9 of 24 (1689 views)
Shortcut
The Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really taken when I read Unfinished Tales a few years ago with the description of the Elessar's powers. It is a healing stone, and in the UT description, it was the power of the stone that allowed Aragorn to have the healing hands that marked him as king when he came to Gondor (of course this doesn't fit with his healing skills demonstrated on Weathertop, but his powers were somewhat limited then.) It also allows a person looking through it to see things as they were in their youth and beauty: an old person would look young, a burned landscape would look whole.

None of that made it into LotR, and so it might not be considered canon, since Tolkien was just thinking on paper when he wrote it, but I love it.

This really caught my imagination when I first read it, and I went on quest for a green stone that I could look through and see the dry brown grass of winter looking like springtime. I never found exactly what I was looking for, but I did find a piece of stained glass in the shape of a leaf that works pretty well. And I made my own recreation of the Elessar by gluing a non-gem-quality emerald that I got at a rock shop into a little eagle charm.

Elessar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 20 2008, 7:07pm

Post #10 of 24 (1581 views)
Shortcut
Archery stuff. [In reply to] Can't Post

It also occurs to me, days later (thinking slow these days, tired, sorry!) that one must carefully match the bow to the archer. Only the strongest archer can even make a long, stout bow work, let alone aim accurately with it. The gift of a new bow signifies a change in Legolas's strength and skill level, perhaps from practice during his stay, perhaps simply because Lorien has empowered him.

Perhaps without this bow, and without his increased archery skills, he could not have shot down the Nazgul soon after that might otherwise have disastrously reported on their whereabouts to Sauron, giving them a few day's grace to reach a better position. Even Aragorn was impressed with the shot.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 20 2008, 7:43pm

Post #11 of 24 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Magic weapons [In reply to] Can't Post

It probably carries an enchantment upon the bearer of the sword that rests in that sheath.

Yes

It is an enchanted bow. Legolas now is armed for war!

It is a very special gift, but it wouldn't have mattered if Galadriel had given it to every gardener in Middle Earth. Part of the magic is Galadriel's - but it will not work without Sam's own magic, the last great "Elven" wizard of Middle Earth!

Another magical thing, given to Sam. Sam's use of the dirt makes him a great wizard - and his use of the phial makes him a great warrior!

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 21 2008, 12:27am

Post #12 of 24 (1588 views)
Shortcut
I'll tell ya what I want, what I really-really want! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really, I just couldn't resist replying to this subject line!!!

Sorry. Back to the main subject, people. You've seen all there is to see here.

Blush

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Good night, little girls, thank the Lord you are well!
Now go to sleep" said Miss Clavel.
And she turned out the light and shut the door,
And that's all there is. There isn't any more.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2008, 2:13am

Post #13 of 24 (1541 views)
Shortcut
*mwah*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's Frodo?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 21 2008, 5:43am

Post #14 of 24 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I like that thought! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 21 2008, 7:44pm

Post #15 of 24 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Hmm...maybe that was fertile soil in more than one way... [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, Sam had all those kids after handling that dirt...Wink

Sorry I don't have anything more intelligent to add to this, but it's been a great discussion to lurk through...thanks!

Weaver

Isis
Bree

Mar 23 2008, 8:35pm

Post #16 of 24 (1523 views)
Shortcut
Poor Old Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought it odd that Galadriel doesn't just give Gimli a gift the same way she does the rest of the Fellowship. Making him ask for it doesn't seem fair. It's like another test: why does Gimli need to be 'tested' more so than the others?

Perhaps Galadriel wished to give Gimli something substantial (in meaning) to symbolise the renewed acquaintance between Elves and Dwarves. Was she only able to give something so precious if she was asked to give it?

Whichever angle I view it from it still seems odd to me.

To Generalise is to be an Idiot To Particularize is the Alone Distinction of Merit - General Knowledges are those Knowledges that Idiots possess.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 24 2008, 4:04pm

Post #17 of 24 (1489 views)
Shortcut
The Test [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the test was not for Gimli, but for the listening elves. She challenged him to display his courtesy, eloquence, and subtlety, and he rose to the challenge admirably, giving her a chance to talk him up to the rest of the elves.

elostirion74
Rohan

Mar 25 2008, 8:14pm

Post #18 of 24 (1470 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

8. As a first-time reader, what did you understand of this gift? How do you understand it now?

I did not understand much of its significance, but I remembered that stars were important and a symbol of hope and joy to the Elves, which would make anything containing starlight very useful to Frodo. I guess I thought of the gift in more practical terms - Frodo would soon venture into darkness and therefore Frodo needed light, powerful light.

sador
Half-elven

Mar 25 2008, 9:04pm

Post #19 of 24 (1510 views)
Shortcut
This time, a few answers [In reply to] Can't Post

I've addressed that before, in the previous chapter.
The Elfstone was made (according to one version in the UT) by Celebrimbor at Galadriel's request, and was part of what kept Lorien as it was. The other part, Nenya, was made by the same craftsman.
According to a different version, Gandalf brought the Elessar from Valinor, and fortold the name Aragorn will take. But if Galadriel gave it to Celebrian, I would guess that would be around her wedding - predating Gandalf's arrival by a few centuries. So the Celebrimbor version seems to make more sense.
If we accept it, I wonder - how much of Rivendell's special atmosphere was due to the Elessar's long presence there? Did it 'work' with Vilya? I would assume, that with Vilya intended for the High King, and Nenya for the Lady Galadriel - the Elessar would be in better accord with Nenya, but would still be very potent.
As someone pointed out - the Elfstone seems to be a symbol of Aragorn as a healer, if not actually enhances his powers. Another connection to Elrond.
In book (or is it chapter?) VII of the Iliad, Aias duels with Hector. After the duel is drawn, they exchange gifts - Aias receives Hector's sword, and Hector Aias' belt. So a belt is equivalent to a famous sword - hardly stupid.
Aside, I know it's not the right place to mention this - but Boromir's being 'left out' of the gift ceremony jarred me a lot. It seems as if the Lady singles him out as unworthy - small wonder he later tries to take the Ring!
In the books, Boromir's belt served an important purpose: Faramir's noticing of it, and Frodo's explaining it, both helped build the confidence between them, and introduced the theme of Lorien to their conversation, which was IMHO critical to it's later developing.
Based on what I wrote above, one might say if Cate Blanchett had bothered to waste a gift on Sean Bean, there would be no need for the long detour to Osgiliath. Laugh
It is very impressive! (see answer 8) Note, also, that in Mordor, when Sam cast away "his chief treasure, his cooking-gear" (quoting from 'The Ring Goes South') - he kept this box, which serves as a symbol of his personal growth, from a food-orientated, simple-minded hobbit - to a leader which assumes the responsibilty for the welfare of the whole Shire.
6. Why does Gimli get to choose his gift and the others don’t?
Aragorn was also asked to name a gift, but declined to do so. Only then, the Lady gave him the Elessar.
To quote Gimli: "which surpasses the gold of the earth as the stars do the gems of the mine", and later he purposes to "set it in imperishable crystal". Was Tolkien thinking of the Silmarils?
As I've written when we've discussed the previous chapter, giving away the phial and the Elessar amounted to Galadriel's relinquishing her magic power in Middle-Earth. And now I add Sam's box to it.

"For many long years I have pondered" - Galadriel

(This post was edited by sador on Mar 25 2008, 9:05pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 22 2008, 11:33pm

Post #20 of 24 (1457 views)
Shortcut
"I'm letting you off easy: I was going to ask for the whole wig." // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Aug. 18-24 for "Shelob's Lair".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 8:21am

Post #21 of 24 (1430 views)
Shortcut
Gilding the lily? [In reply to] Can't Post

In a passage in Unfinished Tales, written well after LOTR, we have this: “For Fëanor beheld the hair of Galadriel with wonder and delight. He begged three times for a tress, but Galadriel would not give him even one hair.”

Does it tie up too neatly? See squire’s comments on Fëanor.

And who foretold that Aragorn would be known as Elessar? Was it a self-fulfilling prophecy, if Galadriel knew it and gave Aragorn the stone that would be the source of the name?

Tolkien never explains the prophesying of “Elessar” in LOTR – you have to dig through Unfinished Tales and The Peoples of Middle-earth to learn that Gandalf and Ivorwen were the foretellers. Was Tolkien right not to explain it?

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 16-22 for a free discussion on the entire book.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 8:22am

Post #22 of 24 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn’t Arwen be “Mrs. Telcontar”? // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 8:22am

Post #23 of 24 (1444 views)
Shortcut
“Does it wear off if the sword isn’t put back in the sheath?” [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean, like when Aragorn rides to the Black Gate?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22 2009, 12:53pm

Post #24 of 24 (1454 views)
Shortcut
That would seem to defeat its purpose. [In reply to] Can't Post

Keeping Andúril unsheathed makes sense only if Aragorn is using the blade's presence to encourage those who will be accompanying him. "Rally 'round the Sword, Men!"

But that is a "point of contention": if Aragorn has been given a sheath with some "virtue" to it, then why put Andúril at risk?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.