The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Harryausen influence on BOTFA

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 12:38pm

Post #1 of 7 (682 views)
Shortcut
Harryausen influence on BOTFA Can't Post

I noticed that some shots reminded my in a very strong way to some Harryausen creations:

-The giant troll breaking Dale´s wall reminded me a lot (I´m not sure why) to some Symbad cyclops.

-There is an orc that Kili kills in Ravenhill that looks exactly the same to another Harryausen criature that is that Neandertal appeared in Symbad and the eye of the tiger I think it is

I am sure there were more but right now I cant remember them all. I think the bats looked like the Gorgones(its wrtien like that?) of Jason and the argonauts

I consider this Hobbit trilogy(and LOTR) not blockbusters but huge cult movies. There is more than meet the eye, but this last point will give for another post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

architecthis
Lorien

Dec 29 2014, 2:46pm

Post #2 of 7 (349 views)
Shortcut
I don't see the connection [In reply to] Can't Post

Harryhausen used models, scale figures and practical effects.

I do see an influence on LOTR.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 3:12pm

Post #3 of 7 (321 views)
Shortcut
not talking of the technique perse but the look of some of the creature wheter digital or not [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Dec 29 2014, 3:19pm

Post #4 of 7 (325 views)
Shortcut
I didn't notice any influence in BotFA, [In reply to] Can't Post

But I always got a Harryhausen vibe from the Stone Giants in AuJ. PJ is a massive fan of Harryhausen so I wouldn't be surprised if some of decisions in these movies were influenced by him.

Yes, my username is terrible.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Dec 29 2014, 4:49pm

Post #5 of 7 (286 views)
Shortcut
You could well be right [In reply to] Can't Post

As already mentioned, Jackson's a big fan of Harryhausen, and he's part of that generation of filmmakers that grew up with those films and were hugely inspired by them. It's not at all unlikely he'd put some references here and there, which I think is pretty cool. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 7:38pm

Post #6 of 7 (250 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a real Harryhausen vibe from the troll heading into the wall.

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 10:30pm

Post #7 of 7 (215 views)
Shortcut
Yep, same here. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.