Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3rd Hobbit Movie

Gollum1

Dec 29 2014, 1:34am

Post #1 of 3 (786 views)
Shortcut
3rd Hobbit Movie Can't Post

Now that the schools will soon be back in session, we are going to see the third Hobbit film.

We saw Unexpected Journey in 3D 24 fps IMAX and 48 fps.

Last year, we saw DOS in 3D because the HFR either had left the theater, or was not shown at all.

This year we plan to see The Battle of Five Armies in the HFR.

Can someone explain to me why the HFR is not as popular as 3D?

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 1:44am

Post #2 of 3 (397 views)
Shortcut
the appearance of HFR can be off-putting [In reply to] Can't Post

HFR can look "too smooth" and remind people of a soap opera or sports video - the complaint has been made that HFR looks TOO real and people like the comfort of the feel of film grain when seeing a movie.
Its a subtle effect, but there.

3D you are just seeing - well, 3D. But I wouldn't worry about it. Since AUJ, PJ used filters with HFR that bring people back to more of a comfort level visually when seeing a film.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 29 2014, 3:05am

Post #3 of 3 (343 views)
Shortcut
Depends on who you ask - I personally love HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw AUJ for the first time in 2D and loved it, and decided to check out HFR on my second viewing to see what all the fuss was about, and loved it even more. As Avandel says, some people find it "too real", but I love that aspect - it makes me feel like I'm right there with the characters. I actually find the graininess of most movies on the big screen distracting. From what I understand, some people's eyes have to take some time to adjust and some never do, but I didn't have that issue. It seems similar to how some people can't watch regular 3D. My friend can't as it gives her migraines, but she had no problem with the 3D HFR, and that's been our preferred method for viewing all the movies. In fact, going again tomorrow night. Hope you enjoy your viewing.

#OneLastTime

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.