The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box Office

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 3:30pm

Post #1 of 25 (2401 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Can't Post

I imagine it broke 500 million this weekend and is sitting near 550 million gross. Is there a publication that tracks this other than boxoffice or boxofficemojo?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 25 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Deadline [In reply to] Can't Post

Deadline.com. Not sure where they get their info though.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 4:39pm

Post #3 of 25 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Now in a dead heat with AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Boxofficemojo reports that BOTFA has earned $168,522,000 domestically in its first 12 days (est. for Sat. & Sun); AUJ earned $168,177,061 in its first 12 days.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 5:01pm

Post #4 of 25 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Which puts the worldwide total at... [In reply to] Can't Post

... $495,922,000, though I believe that doesn't include the weekend foreign numbers.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 5:16pm

Post #5 of 25 (1541 views)
Shortcut
From Forbes [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.forbes.com/...m-christmas-weekend/
Box Office: 'The Hobbit 3' Scorches With $54M Christmas Weekend Comment Now Follow Comments
This second weekend box office post will be concerning the holdover entries, since there were only 3,627 new films to deal with over this Christmas holiday. The newbie weekend numbers are HERE.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies topped the box office over the weekend, earning $41.4 million over its second weekend after a $13.1m Christmas Day gross. The film scored $54.6m over the holiday and brought its twelve-day cume up to a towering $168.5m, with $24.6m coming from IMAX alone. Keeping in mind that the last two Hobbit films opened on a Friday and a bit farther than Christmas, this third chapter is pacing closer to An Unexpected Journey and The Fellowship of the Ring than The Two Towers, Return of the King, or The Desolation of Smaug.
But of note, its $41m Fri-Sun second weekend quantifies as a drop of just 24% from Battle of the Five Armies‘s $54m Fri-Sun debut. A lot can happen between now and New Year’s, but it still looks like The Battle of the Five Armies could be a $300m domestic topper, where it will join The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part I and Guardians of the Galaxy. As for global grosses, we won’t have overseas numbers for a bit, but it was at $495m before the weekend started, so make of that what you will.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 5:54pm

Post #6 of 25 (1465 views)
Shortcut
Apples and oranges [In reply to] Can't Post

As we all know, AUJ opened on a Friday and a weekend sooner, that makes those "in the same number of days" comparisons flawed.

As for the Forbes article, insinuating that $300m could happen in North America, well, let's just say i would be very surprised. Around $275m is certainly a possibility if it continues to hold fairly well. I think that would be a good result.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 28 2014, 5:56pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 6:14pm

Post #7 of 25 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Good result [In reply to] Can't Post

Much better than what i expected after seeing those opening day (and following day - Thursday) numbers. I had already thrown in the towel. Wink

In Reply To
Around $275m is certainly a possibility if it continues to hold fairly well. I think that would be a good result.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 28 2014, 6:15pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 25 (1429 views)
Shortcut
In this day and age [In reply to] Can't Post

with films leaving theatres earlier than they used to, I agree. 300M is probably unlikely. probably more like 250 to 260M. It has a shot at 275M and I hope it makes it but we'll see.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 7:12pm

Post #9 of 25 (1416 views)
Shortcut
I guess having just good news would be too much to ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

Foreign total now stands at $405m, that's about $20m behind DOS and $60m behind AUJ at the same point. We'll see how it goes from here on but i fear without a big increase in China we'll miss one billion again. $125m for China is not impossible, other movies have done it and more.

Stupid exchange rates... With last year's, BOFA would have probably been in front of DOS. Oh, well... Unsure

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 7:15pm

Post #10 of 25 (1391 views)
Shortcut
If i am not mistaken though, [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS had an almost extra week compared to BOFA in 4-5 big countries right? Or am i misremembering?

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Dec 28 2014, 7:16pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 7:28pm

Post #11 of 25 (1357 views)
Shortcut
In about 3 or 4 important markets [In reply to] Can't Post

But on the other hand, BOFA is already playing in Japan for weeks whereas DOS opened there in late January if i'm not mistaken. So it kinda evens out.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 7:37pm

Post #12 of 25 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Japan is one market [In reply to] Can't Post

and DOS did not do wonders there and BOFA is doing even worse if i am not mistaken. (If i remember around 13m for DOS). In our case now, we had 12 markets less than DOS in the first week of BOFA, 3-4 of them as you say were major,South Korea,Spain and Italy come in mind which all had bigger gross than Japan in DOS. So, i do not think it evens out exactly and it's not apples to apples comparison. Nothing is locked right now, and i can still see BOFA reaching almost 650-680 foreign without China.

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Dec 28 2014, 7:38pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 7:44pm

Post #13 of 25 (1306 views)
Shortcut
No, not exactly apples and apples [In reply to] Can't Post

But it comes pretty close as far as i can see.

DOS made about $615m foreign without China. So far i don't see any indication that BOFA is doing any better.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 7:47pm

Post #14 of 25 (1339 views)
Shortcut
The only true indications so far [In reply to] Can't Post

seem to be the worst exchange rates and that BOFA has increased in admissions in most countries. I agree though, nothing else is certain. The next 15-20 days should be excitingCool

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 7:49pm

Post #15 of 25 (1379 views)
Shortcut
I lost interest in tracking the box office [In reply to] Can't Post

last year when I arrived to the conclusion that these movies would most likely be around 1 billion +/- some random amount accounted for by the likes of weather and exchange rates and sales on tickets and whatever else.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 25 (1342 views)
Shortcut
The appreciation of the US$... [In reply to] Can't Post

...against pretty well all other currencies accounts for the drop; not the number of viewers per se, which is probably up..

glor
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 9:21pm

Post #17 of 25 (1242 views)
Shortcut
DOS suffered because of the freezing weather [In reply to] Can't Post

..and the Frozen (Disney film) phenomena especially in the USA.

Frozen became the film to take the kids to last Christmas and Frozen is the highest grossing animated film of all time, BOTFA does not have the parental pester power competition for cinema $$$ that DOS had.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 10:52pm

Post #18 of 25 (1208 views)
Shortcut
World wide total [In reply to] Can't Post

is now $573,622,000

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 4:37am

Post #19 of 25 (1084 views)
Shortcut
BOFA wins 2nd week in a row beating Unbroken and Into the Woods [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...arent_post_id=817093

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 6:05am

Post #20 of 25 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! *jumps up and down with joy* [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 7:01am

Post #21 of 25 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Important difference to remember indeed... Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 7:25am

Post #22 of 25 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see it all happening, though... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is fun and delight in following it up too, I would say!!! Wink

Elk2013
The Shire

Dec 29 2014, 1:27pm

Post #23 of 25 (1002 views)
Shortcut
The release day for BOFA in China is Jan23th [In reply to] Can't Post

which is almost one month earlier than DOS last year, if my memory didn't fail me. Warner Bros confirmed the date one or two weeks ago. LOTR/TH has a relatively small but firm fan base in China, but the general viewers are not so familiar with western fantasy movies, especially for those outside big cities, but the trilogy is doing better in BO. There's hardly any doubt BOFA will make more than DOS's 75m in China.

adu
Bree

Dec 29 2014, 8:38pm

Post #24 of 25 (923 views)
Shortcut
I really hope this hits a billion... [In reply to] Can't Post

in worldwide receipts....not that it will prove the critics wrong or anything, but many of the ones I follow labelled these 3 films as unnecessary so at least these numbers show what a big audience these films have!!

Nolane
Bree

Dec 30 2014, 3:47pm

Post #25 of 25 (876 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.