Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So which way did Azogs army march to Erebor?

boldog
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 1:12am

Post #1 of 12 (773 views)
Shortcut
So which way did Azogs army march to Erebor? Can't Post

This doesnt seem to be made very clear in the film, and it actually got me confused. At first I assumed that The army came from the north as in the book, but when Gandalf says " Then Bolg comes sweeping in from the north" it changed everything around.
Legolas says to Tauriel that Bolg went north with his warg pack. Now the only logical place Bolg was going to at the time, was to meet up with the army, as we see him do at the start. But why would the army be in the north? That means that they either travelled all the way through mirkwood, or they travelled along the western edge of the forest and turned east along the north edge. But if they did this, Wouldnt Legolas and Tauriel have easily spotted them on their way to Gundabad?

So thats what kind of rules out the whole northern approach idea. What seems now, t o be the most likely theory is that Azog marched north along the Eastern edge of Mirkwood. This would be good in several ways. 1. There is less chance of being spotted by enemies 2. Good open terrain for transporting a large army, 3. Pretty much a straight path to Erebor. The only problem that they would encounter is crossing the Celduin. Maybe the worms dug under it? Either way im pretty sure that this is the path that the army took.
Also this might provide a slight continuity error with Bolg. Legolas says he went North, but if the army was at the south, then he went to the south instead.

Thoughts?

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

(This post was edited by boldog on Dec 28 2014, 1:14am)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 1:20am

Post #2 of 12 (473 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't Bolg meet some Gundabad scouts? [In reply to] Can't Post

When he leaves Laketown? I may be misremembering but I thought that was the point at which Legolas describes following him and seeing the sigil from Gundabad on the orcs he meets.

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 1:21am

Post #3 of 12 (476 views)
Shortcut
6 [In reply to] Can't Post

the whole giant worm thing just proves PJ has lost touch with middle earth

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 1:38am

Post #4 of 12 (442 views)
Shortcut
Yes I believe so [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't they say he met warg scouts outside if Laketown? I think that's what I remember.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 28 2014, 1:42am

Post #5 of 12 (488 views)
Shortcut
Those giant worms... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are based on a throwaway line from the book.

In Reply To
the whole giant worm thing just proves PJ has lost touch with middle earth

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 1:45am

Post #6 of 12 (464 views)
Shortcut
Sort of similar [In reply to] Can't Post

To the Stone Giants in AUJ (but a bit more description of those there I believe)...

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 28 2014, 1:49am

Post #7 of 12 (467 views)
Shortcut
A more accurate comparison... [In reply to] Can't Post

... would be the Great Beasts from The Return of the King.

In Reply To
To the Stone Giants in AUJ (but a bit more description of those there I believe)...

hms_ocean
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 12:00pm

Post #8 of 12 (338 views)
Shortcut
steady on......................... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still trying to work out how an army from the North is coming the way of Ravenhill when Ravenhill is too the south of the battle????????

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 12:10pm

Post #9 of 12 (340 views)
Shortcut
Ravenhill is to the west of the battle, not the south. [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you looking at the map the right way round?

hms_ocean
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 1:00pm

Post #10 of 12 (311 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

you are right, it is the west. So i suppose Bolg's army is coming in through the north direction then sweeps in through the west. But doesn't Bilbo in the film ask Gandalf which way is North and he specifically says it's Ravenhill unless that's just because the Lonely Mountain is in the way?

I suppose this answers the orginal post that either Azog used the tunnels to go under them and come out via the east or he went the entire way around the lake town and close to the Iron Hills in the east or via the west above the north of Lonely mountain and came back round the east. Because as the battle is portrayed- The orc army definitely arrives from the east, Azog is camped in the west, Bolg comes from the north then west, Dale is to the south of the battle and the main battle to the north.

(This post was edited by hms_ocean on Dec 28 2014, 1:01pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 2:05pm

Post #11 of 12 (295 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes I think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

For him to come directly from the North he would be coming over the peak of the mountain, which would seem an odd manoeuvre.

In practice, I think they are really just differentiating the approach from that of the south, where the battle participants would be able to see the army approaching i.e. That the various warnings, especially Bilbo's to Thorin are necessary.

And yes on the second point. The tunnels allow Azog's trips to be concealed behind the spurs of the mountain until the last moment.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 2:49pm

Post #12 of 12 (295 views)
Shortcut
From the East. [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog's army must arrive from the spur to the east of Dale.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.