Ny two film edit
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

brotherbeck
Rivendell

Dec 31 2014, 11:58pm

Post #76 of 77 (108 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well said Michelle. I don't understand how even people who love these films cannot admit how sloppy they are. Plot-points are introduced, dwelt on for significant amounts of screen-time and then completely abandoned.

I've watched all three films now with my wife who has never read any of the books. She will ask me questions about things that are happening in the movie, knowing that I've read all the books dozens of times and thinking maybe she just missed something, and I have to tell her that I honestly have no idea. Things such as the significance of the Morgul blade or the dwarvish windlance or Alfrid Lickspittle.

The biggest thing that bothered her so far has been the complete lack of resolution at the end of TBOTFA. When the movie was ending she looked at me and asked a ton of questions, mostly wanting to know what the heck happened to the dwarves and Erebor now and who became King Under The Mountain. She assumed it was Balin just going on what the movie shows.

I know that Peter Jackson decided to make this last film extremely fast-paced and tightly edited like a thriller, but after having spent around 6 hours so far introducing plot-lines and dragging them out to a ridiculous degree, I think he chose the wrong things to focus on during the roughly 2 hrs 10 min of this last film.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jan 1 2015, 9:29am

Post #77 of 77 (96 views)
Shortcut
Exactly The Same Reasons For Raising These Points. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you I see these movies through two sets of eyes my own as someone one who has been acquainted with Tolkien for 50 years and a friend who is not a Tolkien fan but has shared the journey.

His main critique, other than sharing your wife's puzzlement, is that there is far to much fighting through out the nine hours which has no resolution or story telling virtue or is introduced to create jeopardy and slow the key story telling points down.

When the Dwarves and Gandalf leave Rivendell they should have 1.45 hours to reach the hidden door and the denouement with Sauron respectively. It should have taken just 45 minutes to prologue through Gandalf and Thorins meeting, introduce the characters and set up the tension between Bilbo and disapproving Thorin and Gandalf and disbelieving Saruman (Radagast tells his story at the WC).

The company are kidnapped, except Bilbo, released by Gandalfs magic but the only real jeopardy is in the revelation of Thorins nemesis at the burning trees.

Gandalf visits the high fells solo, having asked Radagast to return to Rhosgobel and await him.

The Eagles set them down much closer to Beorn and the back story of the feud between Thorin and his nemesis is then told in flash back.

This is just one example where doing huge CGI action scenes (Stone Giants and Goblin town chase) adds nothing to the key story elements. There is plenty of time between Rivendell and post Eleven Dungeons for the Thorin Bilbo arc to play out which must have been filmed with the original rapprochement filmed just before Bard.

I have a blog and over the next few weeks as a matter of fun I will outline how this could have been applied to all the material.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.