The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The 2-film script

Bofur01
Lorien

Dec 27 2014, 8:35pm

Post #1 of 10 (1605 views)
Shortcut
The 2-film script Can't Post

Hi, I'm just wondering how much was revealed about the scripts when the Hobbit was going to be 2 films.

I think I heard that the first would end with Bard on the riverbank, with Gandalf already imprisoned in Dol Guldur?

But any info at all would be appreciated, so long as it doesn't turn into a 2 vs. 3 film thread :p

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 9:07pm

Post #2 of 10 (935 views)
Shortcut
Riverbank [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the first ever scroll image revealed the ending - with the dwarves floating down the river. It seemed to be a fine ending, reminding of the Lotr trilogy (I can imagine the barrels floating on and on then the camera panning up and revealing the Lonely mountain. Fade to black).

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/...BBIT-SCROLL_6000.jpg

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 27 2014, 10:13pm

Post #3 of 10 (866 views)
Shortcut
PJ said [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ would have ended with a shot of the silhouette of Bard.

Although I like the idea of it ending like LOTR, panning up to the mountain. Especially with some gorgeous Shore music to end the film. The AUJ we got had that kind final shot of the mountain, but then ended with a stinger (though with the dragon and not bard).

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 27 2014, 10:17pm

Post #4 of 10 (917 views)
Shortcut
The 'original cut' of An Unexpected Journey... [In reply to] Can't Post

... would have comprised everything we saw in that film (minus the Carrock sequence) as well as the journey through Mirkwood and the Barrels Out of Bond sequence.

There and Back Again would then have comprised the second half of the The Desolation of Smaug film (minus the Forges sequence) and the entire contents of the The Battle of the Five Armies film.

The only things that were added once the decision was made to expand the story from 2 parts to 3 were the Carrock sequence that closed out AUJ, the Bree sequence that opened TDoS, and the Forges sequence that closed out TDoS.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 10:50pm

Post #5 of 10 (742 views)
Shortcut
Also, [In reply to] Can't Post

the whole 'Out of the frying pan and into the fire' sequence was reworked. Originally it ended with Thorin just seeing Azog is alive followed by the arrival of the eagles but they added the whole Thorin vs Azog, followed by Bilbo saving him, section.

Bit of a editing error here as when the eagles arrive, they start picking Dwarves up off the collapsing tree whilst they were clearly shown all running off the tree to fight the wargs.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 27 2014, 11:06pm

Post #6 of 10 (714 views)
Shortcut
I was counting that under the heading of "the Carrock sequence" [In reply to] Can't Post

I was counting the Thorin/Azog fight and Bilbo's rescue of Thorin as part of what I described as "the Carrock sequence".

In Reply To
the whole 'Out of the frying pan and into the fire' sequence was reworked. Originally it ended with Thorin just seeing Azog is alive followed by the arrival of the eagles but they added the whole Thorin vs Azog, followed by Bilbo saving him, section.

Bit of a editing error here as when the eagles arrive, they start picking Dwarves up off the collapsing tree whilst they were clearly shown all running off the tree to fight the wargs.

Bofur01
Lorien

Dec 27 2014, 11:18pm

Post #7 of 10 (692 views)
Shortcut
They only showed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin, Fili and Kili fighting the wargs, so there's no error. It was only they who charged.

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 2:33am

Post #8 of 10 (618 views)
Shortcut
Both films would have been brilliant, is what I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ in particular would have been so much better. It would have ended with Gandalf watching the hoards leaving Dol Guldur and the Company meeting Bard (I reckon Balin saying 'that barge, it wouldn't be for hire by any chance?' was the original last line of the movie)

The Trolls sequence may have ended up completely in the EE, which would have been fine by me!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 7:32am

Post #9 of 10 (541 views)
Shortcut
the Balin/Bard scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The Balin/Bard scene on the riverbank was also added. There & Back Again was going to open (after a prologue I presume) with the company already on the barge discussing their suspicions of Bard.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 9:44am

Post #10 of 10 (469 views)
Shortcut
Totally! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.