Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Could we make a single forum for the sixology?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 11:29am

Post #1 of 23 (3736 views)
Shortcut
Could we make a single forum for the sixology? Can't Post

PJ stated that this six movies are like a 20 hour single movie so once the BOTFA EE could be possible to make a single one for the entire sixology?

Is not the same to LOTR movies once you have seen the three hobbit movies I asure you, and I encourage everyone to rewatch the LOTR trilogy after Hobbit movies. It all changes. Old moments have a new flavour and new questions rise up in the air

Plus, if TORN endures a hundred years and new adaptations would be coming, I see that a unified forum about PJ middle earth addaptations. Could it be, could it be...XD

However is not a request perse to make a single forum but to make us wonder how the entire six movies experience can be seeing as a single monumental movie

I guess this matter will be popping in the future as many uf us dare and conquer the marathon of the agesSmile

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

(This post was edited by Eledhwen on Dec 27 2014, 1:19pm)

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 27 2014, 11:40am

Post #2 of 23 (3403 views)
Shortcut
Sixology? [In reply to] Can't Post

The correct term is hexalogy!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 27 2014, 1:20pm

Post #3 of 23 (3330 views)
Shortcut
Not entirely convinced it's necessary [In reply to] Can't Post

But as you can see I've moved your post to Feedback so it can be discussed.

Storm clouds

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 2:04pm

Post #4 of 23 (3285 views)
Shortcut
truuuuuuuuuuue! so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 2:04pm

Post #5 of 23 (3288 views)
Shortcut
ok I wasnt sure where to post it [In reply to] Can't Post

ThanksWink

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 27 2014, 2:21pm

Post #6 of 23 (3290 views)
Shortcut
I am quite fond of this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

since i felt what Mr Arkenstone mentioned abou the t new flavour after my viewing of the FOTR shortly after a BOFA viewing. Very good proposition Mr. Smile

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 2:49pm

Post #7 of 23 (3273 views)
Shortcut
hi there [In reply to] Can't Post

the vewing of FOTR was an epiphanic experience after seeing BOTFA. Many questions opped into my mind, such as why Mordor doesnt have such war machinery etc But this is just a small part of what I felt during the experience so I think a single forum would help us to see the 6 movies as a unique event

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 4:38pm

Post #8 of 23 (3242 views)
Shortcut
I am open to this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Once the third Hobbit film is released theatrically everywhere, perhaps we should consider merging the LOTR Movie and Hobbit Movie boards.

There are already questions, comments, thoughts about scenes, events and characters in The Hobbit films that tie into those in LOTR. That probably will increase as more viewers, new and old, begin to see the six movies as one story starting from AUJ and ending at ROTK.

There begins to be some confusion as to whether, as a poster, do I post this question or thought on the LOTR board or on The Hobbit board? Why force the poster to make a choice? In my own experience on TORn, even after being here so many years, I am often still shy about starting my own thread. On top of that, not knowing which board to post it on just adds more hesitancy and more chance to just cancel the post and not post it at all.

Just as an example, if someone wants to do a post about Galadriel's actions in TH trilogy and her later actions in the LOTR trilogy, where should such a post go, if the two boards remain separate? Her character impacts the story across all six films. Why should the poster have to choose one or the other board and then potentially lose out on the responses and comments of posters who don't visit both boards? Maybe having one board would bring the insights and background that long time LOTR Movie board posters have into discussions on The Hobbit, and the insights and background that Hobbit movie fans have about TH trilogy would bring new ideas to the LOTR discussions. And it would give the fans of both - and there are many - one big board to play in together Smile.

I am thinking this might be a good idea, though I am sure there will be many other opinions, both pros and cons, and I am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

I'd like to thank Mr. Arkenstone (Isaac) for making the suggestion. (And btw, Mr. A, I think referring to it as a sixology is charming and I rather like it HeartSmile.)

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 8:40pm

Post #9 of 23 (3224 views)
Shortcut
"I wasn't sure where to post it." [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the key here, and thank you, Isaac, for bringing it up. I've already noticed some posts that could have been in such a forum and thought "I wonder if people on the other forum will see this?" Your suggestion could prevent the sort of confusion we sometimes get with postings on Main/OffTopic/or one of the film forums. The following examples are just from the past week, all from the Hobbit film forum.

The most obvious ones being these: Middle-Earth Marathon realisation http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=813622#813622

and Rankings http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=816465#816465

Then we have possible topics that fit in a combined forum for one of two reasons:

1) comparing the two trilogies:

- a "Versus" thread http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=816137#816137
- about more than one actor playing a character, which would only mean Bilbo - and wargs Laugh - but still...http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=815246#815246
- Battles of Minas Tirith and Erebor
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=813996#813996

2) storylines that continue in LOTR:

- the Morgul blade http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=815800#815800
- older Bilbo and Frodo placement http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=814668#814668
- Sting http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=814668#814668
- Bilbo (not) ageing http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=813686#813686

First there were The Three for which TORn created a forum. Then were added The Next Three. Now there are The Six, arguably a unique entity when seen as a whole. By all means, let's acknowledge this phenomenon with the creation of an appropriate forum in order to eliminate a bit of confusion from the universe - never a bad thing, IMHO.

And on a side note, let this small effort by Lissuin towards group harmony be a mathom on the occasion of her crossing to Tol Eressea. I've been scratching my head trying to come up with something or other, so this is the something.
Smile
Cheers, all!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 10:17pm

Post #10 of 23 (3176 views)
Shortcut
It's a worthy topic for discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

One observation to throw into the mix. At the moment, the Hobbit board moves fast and furious and that makes any dedicated discussion about the LOTR movies almost impossible to conduct. There isn't a ton of discussing going on at the moment so that may not be highly problematic but I would hope that opinions from those that frequent the LOTR movie board who might not catch this thread on Feedback be sought before moving too far toward combining the two boards.

I still remember how enormously happy I was when the "Movie" board was split into two boards - one for LOTR and one for Hobbit. I'd hate to see that quickly undone.

Also, when searching the boards for old posts, it helps tremendously to have the search results potentially be broken down by board. If we combine the two boards, then searching for old posts/threads will be harder to conduct.

That said, I do think there is high potential for topics that cover both of the movie series and threads for those topics will be hard to place with just two options (plus Main - the fall back for 'it's Tolkien but doesn't fit strongly on a dedicated board' topic).

All of this is kind of meaningless if people don't push themselves to visit other boards, though. A great number of Hobbit regulars don't seem to realize there are other boards and/or don't understand what gets discussed on them and/or don't care to use them.

It might be easier to evaluate the natural direction the forums will take when the buzz for BOTFA quiets. Many posters will move on once the excitement fades a little and topics that contain spoilers and reviews and the such will die down. What will replace it will be topics that dig deeper into the movies and the community will start to settle into those more likely to stay for the long haul.

Not that short term visitors aren't welcome or anything. Only that when the turnover is high, it's harder to get a bead on what direction the community is likely to go.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 27 2014, 10:33pm

Post #11 of 23 (3172 views)
Shortcut
On searching for posts... [In reply to] Can't Post

If we rename the Hobbit or LOTR boards with a new name, we might not be able to search for previous posts on the renamed board. It's a quirk I noticed when Feedback was temporarily renamed a few years ago (to something like Feedback and Compliments). We might have to archive the posts on the existing boards and establish a new board just so that old posts can be searched, unless a fix is coded.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 11:48pm

Post #12 of 23 (3167 views)
Shortcut
How about ...? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I like the idea of merging the LOTR and TH movie boards together. They are two different entities. I think it works just fine as it is at the moment. My main concern is that it would quickly become "The Hobbit board" mingled with the occasional SCOD, quiz and title contest threads. The LOTR movie board is quiet, but it might become completely overshadowed if the two were combined.

However, could a generic LOTR/TH movie board work? News relating to both franchises usually ends up on Main. Main is very quiet, and movie-related threads get very little replies. In the last two weeks alone, we've had the following threads on Main:

- Is (PJ's) Gollum more cheerful and friendly than Legolas? (though this is book-movie related, rather than trilogy-trilogy related)
- Brand New here, question about Collector Edition movies (again, perhaps better suited for gaming & collecting rather than on a generic movie board)
- Are Sir PJ's LotR and Hobbit double trilogies worthy of inclusion.
- At least 6 topics on potential follow-up movies/bridge films
- 4(ish) threads on cast interviews, all of whom talk about both trilogies

In addition to all the links provided by Lissuin, these are the kind of things that could be put on a generic movie board.

Downsides:
- it would require extra modding
- discussions would overlap different boards . If a discussion is aimed more at one of the trilogies, where would it then belong? In its respective movie board or the generic movie board?
- would it be anymore useful than just merging existing boards?
- would the purpose of the board be too confusing?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 28 2014, 12:00am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 12:16am

Post #13 of 23 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps something like ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In addition to all the links provided by Lissuin, these are the kind of things that could be put on a generic movie board.

Movie Discussion: Tolkien Adaptations
The place to discuss TV, film, radio and stage adaptations, Peter Jackson's hexology, and future movies

(Though this might be going beyond some of the suggestions above.)

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 28 2014, 2:43am

Post #14 of 23 (3135 views)
Shortcut
To clarify, I wasn't advocating merging the LOTR and TH boards. [In reply to] Can't Post

but creating a third movie board, as I think Mr Arkenstone also intended, but he can address that when he wakes up in his time zone today. Wink There is probably no way to always get every thread on the most appropriate film forum with the biggest audience for it, but I do think that threads comparing/discussing all six films would find a natural place together if there were one.

Magpie is probably right that things will quiet down in a few months/weeks, so this could be put on hold. The pity of that will be that, as the OP pointed out, more of us will begin having 6-film marathons soon and having opinions about them, and I don't think Main, as the catch-all board, is especially appropriate for that ( most folks wouldn't think to look there), but which of the existing movie boards would it be?

Will it really be harder to search for a topic if there is another Peter Jackson film board: if you are a friend, you speak the proper password - er, sorry, type in the subject you want - and get access to what's on all three film boards. And I don't know how the boards are moderated, so is it harder to follow threads by quantity (which probably won't increase) or category (granted, there would now be another one) or good/bad behaviour of users (possibly influenced by confusion they might feel about choosing a forum)? Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 3:08am

Post #15 of 23 (3136 views)
Shortcut
searching [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm looking for a post I can tell it to give me results only on certain boards. So if I want something that talked about Bilbo and I know it was on the LOTR movie boards, I can say 'only show me results on the LOTR movie board.' Or the same with 'only show me results on TH movie board.'

If the two are combined, I will have to sort through all the posts that mention Bilbo in reference to the LOTR movie and in reference to TH movie.

As someone who conducts searches quite often, there is a significant advantage to sorting through 45,178 posts on LOTR and sorting through 377,859 from a combined LOTR and Hobbit board when I *know* it was a LOTR topic.

and like you, I'll go on record as saying I'm not necessarily advocating for or against anything. Only bringing up factors we might want to consider.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2014, 6:11am

Post #16 of 23 (3121 views)
Shortcut
The only problem I see with a THIRD movie oriented board is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it will further confuse posters about where to initiate their topics of discussion - LOTR Movie, TH Movie, or the new board - and it also means that anyone interested in discussing anything will have yet another board to follow. I thought Issac's intent was to reduce confusion by combining the two movie oriented boards.

For my part, I rather prefer the separation between the two boards. TH is much more "current" than LOTR, and I can see how its discussions have changed from speculation and news (prior to the movies' releases) to observational. It will obviously eventually become, in flavour, what the LOTR board is today; with much deeper conversations about aspects of the films, lore, symbolism, etc. But I feel that's an organic process, and the new films need time, and their own space, for that evolution.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 12:51pm

Post #17 of 23 (3098 views)
Shortcut
My point was an openwide view to the future, that is... (Tthe MOTA!: Marathon of The Ages) [In reply to] Can't Post

to think wide. For example, if Silmarilion movies ever happen it would be nice to have each movie forum, but it will be also inevitable to talk about a full retrospective that will include all movies ever made (including why not Hunt for Gollum (wich Im surprised didnt get a forum for itself, or Born of Hope) So it will be a huge experience almost impossible to tlak about in its full feeling in a single board. So my proposal is this:

To make a single trath that could be named : Marathon of The Ages (of Arda?XD)

the MOTA! hehehe yeah! that reminds me to that Offspring´s songXD kidding on this but It could be a nice idea

However I wouldnt change anything until BOTFA EE will be out and things go quiet

Cheers

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 28 2014, 6:06pm

Post #18 of 23 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Listening [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, however, I'm not seeing compelling reasons so far to create a whole separate forum. There haven't been that many threads that are truly about all six movies. Ranking threads, yes, but all the other threads have been started on the Hobbit board which suggests that those threads are more to talk about a scene in the Hobbit movie, even if it's to compare it to one of the LOTR movies.

For example, if I want to talk about Gandalf the Grey's character in the Hobbit, and the conversation leads to comparing to GtG in LOTR, which board would that go on? My desire is to concentrate on what he did in The Hobbit movies, thus, I start the thread in the Hobbit forum. Should my thread be moved?

There are (hopefully) clear explanations of what should go on what board both on the main forum view and at the top of each board. We can clarify them if need be, but most people get comfortable on a board and stick to that board regardless of whether a thread is off-topic to that board or not. It's not that they're confused, It's human nature. People also stick to a board for other reasons such as the atmosphere. People who don't currently venture to the Hobbit forum for that reason may not like a combined forum any better.

I'm definitely open to the idea, but for now let's see how things go. Marathon threads or comparison threads can go on either board. Ranking threads may be moved to Main.

Oh, and one thing I meant to mention is that boards can't be merged. So, if and when this happens, it would have to be a new forum altogether (which is where, to me, the confusion factor comes in).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2014, 5:53am

Post #19 of 23 (3073 views)
Shortcut
A question [In reply to] Can't Post

for those of you who like the idea of a third movie board.

I see several people saying "Well, there's Main but...." But....why not? We're not likely to have another huge wave of newbies at this point, so the question isn't how will new people find it, it's will existing members expand their habits to include another board? Newbies soon figure out what's happening where, it's old habits of staying in one comfortable place that are the real obstacle. Don't you think that people would begin to visit there if that's where the discussions were moved to or started? It's merely a matter of habit. I remember a time when Main was really Main, not just one-offs and games, and that's where everyone went first. It slowed way down with the advent of the Off-Topic board, but it certainly could support a much more lively usage than it has now, and all that would be needed is for people to go there and use it.

If we chose to use Main for this, and expanded the definition to make it explicit that 6-film discussions were welcome there, would that help? Everyone participating in this thread would know where the discussions were, and could encourage people out of the Hobbit enclave to visit Main if that's where the action was. If Main suddenly had a whole bunch of new posts, people might well look in just to find out why. And if you couldn't get people to use an existing board, then would even a new board really help?

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2014, 11:38am

Post #20 of 23 (3053 views)
Shortcut
Well not only for a PJ movies but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Every fan movie aswell.

Let´s face it, a huge effort to fill gaps of the time line in Tolkien´s mythology is happening. Movies such as Hunt For Gollum and Born of Hope are good enouch and estetically close to PJ movies so they can be watched in a row. So, why not making a thread for the hunt for gollum or born of hope aswell?

It would be crazy, BUT, its happening, a huge panorama of a full experience started by PJ(Whel Rankin Basa and all the rpevious but since PJ started there is an "official" imagery of Tolkien´s words) I think its a phenomena that is surpassing PJ work.

However, I dont know if Main will be enoug to cram all comparision and posts talking about ALL the movie experience when a possible Silmarilion movies come to pass(if shooted by PJ or not its all the same a bit because Im sure the imaginery would be based on PJ work)

So it could be a single threat , but not Main, but for example a Middle Earth movie MAIN and into there the hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, Bonr of Hope, and Hunt for Gollum aswell of other possible adaptations. Here I´m not putting the cartoon adaptations. Neither screwing them but focusing in a whole phenomena of real actors middle earth addaptations.

Howvere maybe it is too soon. I would wait to see BOTFA EE released etc and Marathons of The Ages starting to be done by fans.

Its a very interesting debate nonetheless :)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2014, 2:31pm

Post #21 of 23 (3047 views)
Shortcut
Many of the fan-made movies go to Fan Art [In reply to] Can't Post

That's where they have been, and I can't see a need to put them on Main. The discussion started with a place to discuss the LOTR and Hobbit movies, not movies in general. I think we're contemplating ways to discuss those six movies only, not re-thinking the boards overall.

We can adapt as the boards evolve, but as you said, it's too early to make changes. Let's see how the next months unfold and keep the discussion going!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 30 2014, 8:43pm

Post #22 of 23 (3059 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally too many message boards will actually reduce traffic. I won't mention the increased strain on the server, which due to technical stuff would be more than what one would expect.

And I do like Main as a source for general news on Tolkien, Hobbit/LOTR cast and crew, etc. not to mention games and such.

That said, changing Main to Main/6-Films would seem to be a good choice for now.

Of course post BoFA-EE, if traffic really tapers off making one of the movie boards The Movie Board (Hobbit, LOTR, and 6-film) and archiving the other would seem to be a better solution.

So looking down the road adding 6-Films to the movie board that will be kept non-archived would be the best thing.

The tremendous landscape of Middle-earth, the psychological and moral universe of The Lord of the Rings, is built up by repetition, semi-repetition, suggestion, foreshadowing, recollection, echo, and reversal. Through it the story goes forward at its steady, human gait. There, and back again.
-Ursula K. LeGuin, Rhythmic Patterning in The Lord of the Rings

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 12:54pm

Post #23 of 23 (3020 views)
Shortcut
I would prefer we not use Main for this [In reply to] Can't Post

I, and many other members, prefer to not discuss the Hobbit movies, and I know there are others that prefer not to discuss any of the hexology.

Main is a great place for Tolkien news and news tangentially related to the movies. But I'd hate to see it overrun by discussions I have no interest in.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.