The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Happy Christmas! (box office related)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 3:52pm

Post #1 of 20 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Happy Christmas! (box office related) Can't Post

BOFA took in an estimated $13.14M on Christmas Day (Thursday, December 25) in North America. It likely dropped to number 3 (behind Unbroken and Into the Woods) but it should at least be number 2 if not 1 for the weekend.

That's a bigger post Christmas Eve jump then either LOTR or Hobbit movies. However, we should not expect it to follow ROTK on Friday, which jumped another +37%. But i hope it can make it to $15m or close to that on Friday, which would put it at $40m or above for the weekend, a better 2nd weekend drop compared to ROTK. Fingers crossed...

I hope i haven't jinxed it now. There's still a possibility that it drops on Friday because Christmas Day was unusually strong. But let's be positive for a change. Wink

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 26 2014, 3:53pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 3:55pm

Post #2 of 20 (807 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter what it's doing great at the box office both here in the U.S. and overseas and I'm glad to see it! Thanks for posting the updates!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 4:09pm

Post #3 of 20 (830 views)
Shortcut
who are you and what have you done with Estel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding. But that IS the most positive sounding post about the Hobbit box office that I have seen you make.

which of course means that you will have jinxed it.Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 4:12pm

Post #4 of 20 (785 views)
Shortcut
Very nice numbers indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 4:12pm

Post #5 of 20 (800 views)
Shortcut
In NL [In reply to] Can't Post

In totaal hebben al 580.000 mensen de laatste film uit de reeks Tolkien-verfilmingen gezien.

Since opening early december 580.000 people saw Bo5A. It is (as i mentioned before) losing to a Dutch (ladies) movie.

Population of the country about 17.000.000.

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 4:39pm

Post #6 of 20 (773 views)
Shortcut
I will be doing my best [In reply to] Can't Post

to keep those numbers up in the next several weeks. I've only seen it once so far - I need more! Hopefully it will stick around in the theatre long enough for me to get my fill.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 5:26pm

Post #7 of 20 (731 views)
Shortcut
I just post how i see it, no sugarcoating. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, i've probably jinxed it. But it's too late now. *lol*

I see the weekend grossing between $38m and $42m. If i have to settle for one number, i'd say $39m. Let's not get too carried away. Wink

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 5:35pm

Post #8 of 20 (720 views)
Shortcut
Sugarcoating is entirely different [In reply to] Can't Post

than positivity but that was undoubtedly a nice change. Cool

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 11:51pm

Post #9 of 20 (641 views)
Shortcut
Deadline Hollywood blurb [In reply to] Can't Post

http://deadline.com/...nterview-1201336253/
Rounding out the top three, Warner Bros.’ The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies stays put with $13.14M — higher than the earlier $12.7M estimate yesterday.

1). Unbroken (UNI), 3,131 theaters /$15.592M Thurs.*/ Total cume: $15.592M /Wk 1
*includes Christmas Eve previews of $850K
2). Into The Woods (DIS), 2,440 theaters /$15.084M Thurs.*/ Total cume:$15.084M /Wk 1
*includes Christmas Eve previews of $1.1M
3). The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies (WB), 3,875 theaters /$13.14M Thurs./ Total cume: $127.102M/Wk 1
4). Night At The Museum: Secret Of The Tomb (FOX), 3,914 theaters (+129) /$7.35MM Thurs./ Total cume: $34.78M /Wk 1
5). The Gambler (Par), 2,478 theaters /$5M Thurs./ Total cume: $5M /Wk 1

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 8:36am

Post #10 of 20 (592 views)
Shortcut
$15.6m early Friday estimate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully that is correct. Should do over $40m for the weekend with that number.

Btw, it's number one again as both new openers expectedly dropped from their opening day.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 1:14pm

Post #11 of 20 (528 views)
Shortcut
Reverse jinx? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it holds, that number is a little better than what you said you were hoping for "$15m or close to it". It would be nice to see this film exceed box office expectations, after the disappointing critical reception. Another indication of the disconnect between critics and audience.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 2:04pm

Post #12 of 20 (521 views)
Shortcut
... and of the connection between a number of them [In reply to] Can't Post

to trash PJ anyway, even without having seen the film, just to do their best to bring him down by telling people not to go see that film. Some reviews are so unbelievably mean and unfair and downright nasty you wonder what's going on.
I'm so glad the people aren't paying much attention to whatever they say, and go anyway see these movies...!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 3:12pm

Post #13 of 20 (502 views)
Shortcut
Agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

The films (particularly BoFA and AUJ) do not conform to the safe 'blockbuster' or 'Oscar-fodder' model, made up of a by-the-numbers plot and celebrity performers. I don't think many of these so-called 'critics' are able to judge anything that is not 'safe' in any meaningful way. I haven't read anything but a handful of the idiot reviews, but it astonishes me how poor the standard of the writing is and how these people copy each other (as if they are trying to outdo one another). Many of them seem not to have even seen the film, and they certainly don't seem to be professional writers.

There are some critics – for example a few professionals who work for major British publications – who gave a fair, intelligent and measured critique of this film, but they are few and far between.

In Reply To
to trash PJ anyway, even without having seen the film, just to do their best to bring him down by telling people not to go see that film. Some reviews are so unbelievably mean and unfair and downright nasty you wonder what's going on.
I'm so glad the people aren't paying much attention to whatever they say, and go anyway see these movies...!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 3:31pm

Post #14 of 20 (500 views)
Shortcut
Disconnect is right [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the the problem is now everyone's a critic. it used to be that people writing for the large trade magazines like Variety and others who knew film and appreciated it for it's art were the ones writing the reviews. Now anyone with a keyboard is an expert. In the end, it's what the audience likes. I'm sure back in the day there are many films that would have been pilloried by the numerous "experts" out there that were popular films. A lot of it also is click bait. I don't go at all to RT. I used to go there back in the day before IGN took it over and post on the RoTK board. I haven't been there though in a long, long time and I don't read the reviews because quite honestly I like to see a film and enjoy it for myself without opinions of people I couldn't care less about telling me what they think. The same is true for news in general. Opinions are everywhere now vs. just reporting the news. That's for another message board though...

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 5:03pm

Post #15 of 20 (490 views)
Shortcut
Lots of GOLD to add to the treasure of Thror [In reply to] Can't Post

Update, 8:30AM: Studio-reported Friday figures – Warner Bros. is reporting a Friday of $15.65M for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – higher than what the industry thought and a running cume of $142.75M.

4:00 AM:
Franchises and family films continued to leave buckets of cash under the Christmas trees of the major studios as The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies powered back to No. 1 Friday over new titles Unbroken and Into the Woods with an industry estimate of $15.2M.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/christmas-box-office-interview-hobbit-unbroken-into-the-woods-1201337009/

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 6:08pm

Post #16 of 20 (482 views)
Shortcut
Which currently puts it at $470,152,000 worldwide [In reply to] Can't Post

http://boxofficemojo.com/...n&id=hobbit3.htm

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 6:20pm

Post #17 of 20 (472 views)
Shortcut
Another massive fail, then [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 10:13pm

Post #18 of 20 (434 views)
Shortcut
470 million already? [In reply to] Can't Post

1 billion seems to be within reach. It seems to be doing better than DOS in nearly all markets, US included.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 27 2014, 10:13pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 10:24pm

Post #19 of 20 (419 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is. And I'm glad. I thought the film might be off at the box office but I was clearly wrong and glad I was. Even the U.S. Box office is very much up. Great to see.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 5:10am

Post #20 of 20 (378 views)
Shortcut
Nice to be revisiting this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

and to find out the increasing good news!!! Cool

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.