The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Galadriel's Power Drain?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 11:37pm

Post #26 of 40 (1359 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Galadriel needed to Nenya to destroy Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien said when the One Ring was destroyed, all the other rings lose their power. So I really think it had zero role in the destruction of Dol Guldur. Let's not forget that Galadriel had the been taught by the Valar many things, and also had direct instruction from a powerful Maiar, who had no restrictions on the use of her power while in ME.

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 27 2014, 1:14am

Post #27 of 40 (1333 views)
Shortcut
She says it after Frodo has looked in Galadriel's mirror [In reply to] Can't Post

and, horrified at the scenes of the Shire's destruction, has offered her the ring. She says "In place of a dark lord you would have a QUEEN," etc., and right after "All shall love me and despair" she she shrinks back into her usual appearance and says (with a certain amount of self-revelation and obvious relief) "I pass the test! I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 1:18am

Post #28 of 40 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I thought you were talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron suspecting Nenya's location, or am I getting confused?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 1:54am

Post #29 of 40 (1349 views)
Shortcut
She threw down the walls of Dol Guldur... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but not until after Sauron had been destroyed, as others above have pointed out:

...and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.

(emphasis mine).

While the war was still raging, Lórien repelled three attacks, the Elves didn't leave its borders.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Dec 27 2014, 1:58am)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 2:47am

Post #30 of 40 (1324 views)
Shortcut
They fade, not wink out in a snap. [In reply to] Can't Post

Interestingly, "Vilya, the Ring of Air, Blue Ring, the Dominant Ring, or Ring of Sapphire is the greatest of the Three Rings." So Elrond, had the "master" ring of the three and may have also allowed Rivendell and it environs to flourish as Lothlorien.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Rings_of_Power

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 27 2014, 2:54am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 3:00am

Post #31 of 40 (1334 views)
Shortcut
I resented it. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a friend of mine (male) put it:

Both Tauriel and Galadriel are 'fake-strong' characters, not truly strong characters.

They both have spontaneous moments of improbable power - Tauriel hacking orcs to bits, Galadriel shouting Sauron away - but these are brief, token moments. In both cases the substance of the character and her role is a weak cliche of feminine meekness.

Galadriel does not arm herself for war, nor does she fight in any traditional sense. She doesn't take any sort of leading role among the White Council. She hugs Gandalf and cradles him while the boys get into a good old scrap on her behalf. Her banishment of Sauron is like a soccer mom sending her ten year old to bed; not a battle or a struggle. She doesn't show endurance or intelligence or courage. She just has MAGIC VOICE because she's A MAGIC CHICK. And she collapses afterwards because her poor weak female form cannot stand to be so mean and powerful for more than a moment or two without her getting the vapors.

PB's ill-conceived and mistaken remark about "diminishing" (quoted above) just shows how seriously they misunderstand Galadriel's real strength. And the fact that Tauriel literally disappears from the film once her love interest is gone is the final proof that they have no interest in "strong women" at all.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Dec 27 2014, 3:03am)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 5:21am

Post #32 of 40 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Remember, Gandalf also was a poor weak form after his encounter so that is not totally [In reply to] Can't Post

fair. It simply, to me, shows the great effort of the duel.

Tauriel, was showing grief...as was Thranduil....plus, it was the ending scene for her and Thranduil shortly after. The movie was ending. Galadriel shows her strength in LOTR as well.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 27 2014, 5:24am)

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 11:00am

Post #33 of 40 (1276 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

But in another source, a more actual, Nenya was called the "chief "ring. Apparently Tolkien grew more and more fond of Galadriel so that he made made her ring the greatest/chief.

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 11:15am

Post #34 of 40 (1292 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that is a hard judgemend, at least for Galadriel, not intelligent or brave, dunno, I find it very brave traveling alone to DG, not knowing what to expect and then facing Sauron, when Gandalf offered her to come with him. I don´t know if I agree with it. In the book she established the WC and especially in the movies you kinda see her leading the meeting, if I had no idea I would think she is the boss and not Saruman, when she interupts him for example and giving word to Gandalf.

Yes, she was there for Gandalf when the others were fighting, should she just have Gandalf left in the corner, ignoring his need, that would have been cruel, one has to be there for the injured.

And her collapsing I also can understand. It´s not that she jsut fought against some random orc, but Sauron himself, after healing Gandalf and enduring the place which draws on her energy as well. I think the males wouldn´t have fared any differently.

I don´tlike how PJ portayed Galadriel in that particular scene, but it wasn´t everyting so terrible. I liked that she was there for Gandalf, which is much more important than Sauron in that moment and when he was in safety, she had time for Sauron.

Galadriel does not arm herself for war, nor does she fight in any traditional sense.

Apparently she was so sure of herself that she doesn´t think it neccessary to wear armor.
Why should she fight in traditional sense, she is no Tauriel, she is a royal Noldor women, and there are no sources that they ever fight with sword, except in extreme need, she has another methods, much more effective than a sword

(This post was edited by Nerven on Dec 27 2014, 11:26am)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2014, 5:12pm

Post #35 of 40 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

And they even show this. She is attacked by an Orc early in the scene, the one that was planning to kill Gandalf. She has no difficulty dealing with him despite her lack of traditional armament.

In terms of her leadership/or lack thereof) of the White Council - it is also she who suggests to Gandalf that he investigate the High Fells, and he follows her suggestion to discover what is happening. He reports back to her (through Radagast) in DoS.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 5:31pm

Post #36 of 40 (1292 views)
Shortcut
What she does is parallel to Gandalf's actions in DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

when fighting Sauron. Neither is wearing armor. (Why this should matter, when one is fighting a magical being, I can't imagine. Putting on some metal stuff and grabbing a sword doesn't make you "strong.") Both of them fail to defeat him--except Gandalf collapses, gets slammed against a wall, and put in a cage, while Galadriel leads the way into Dol Guldur and banishes Sauron from Dol Guldur forever and collapses only from fatigue after fighting one of the most powerful beings in Middle-earth.
I can't imagine what else she needs to do to be seen as strong--unless by "strong" you mean "male."

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 2:53am

Post #37 of 40 (1249 views)
Shortcut
But we were trained to see Elrond as a healer. [In reply to] Can't Post

He healed Frodo in FotR. It would have made more sense for him to be healing Gandalf, though he would have done so with a different style, I assume. To be sure, Elrond looked splendid in his armor & sword, but I know Galadriel would have, as well.

No, they were working the sexist cliches: female as tender healer, rising for a moment like a mother bear protecting her cubs but then collapsing in a faint, while the men do the warrior stuff.

delius82
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 4:49am

Post #38 of 40 (1238 views)
Shortcut
I highly agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with Riven Delve.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 7:32am

Post #39 of 40 (1229 views)
Shortcut
I presume.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...the same applies for Gandalf except oops (for the sexist cliche) he is a bloke!!!

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Dec 28 2014, 11:51pm

Post #40 of 40 (1222 views)
Shortcut
At last, someone's mentions the gender bias here... [In reply to] Can't Post

As always, your posts are eloquently argued.

They really had a chance to not only showcase a Noldor in action here, both in physical strength and wisdom, but failed miserably in my opinion.

...Radagast could have healed Gandalf as he took him away
...Galadriel could have used the daggers of the Noldorin that she gave to Merry and Pippin and showed the athletic side of the Noldor; how they differ from the regular Elves (the fact that is Galadriel, which is amongst the cream and the crop of the Noldor is a bonus); she could have used the Elven Cloak to enter Dol Guldur
...She could have used lore against Sauron or the Nine, and the Phial along with it (in my opinion, Arwen's raising the river, though she was not the original source of that power, was more effective and cinematic)

Had Gandalf been shown like this people wouldn't be as accepting as easily.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.