The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo's souvenir helmet

Lio
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 2:31am

Post #1 of 3 (653 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's souvenir helmet Can't Post

So in the ending scenes where Bilbo is returning to the Shire one of the things he's carrying (in addition to the treasure chest) is what appears to be an Orkish helmet. I believe it's the same one seen at the beginning of AUJ where he opens the chest where you can see Sting and some other stuff.

Question, why would Bilbo choose this particular item to take back from his journey? It looks like such an ugly and rusty (and probably heavy!) thing. Why not take something nice from the Dwarves or Elves or Men instead? So I'm thinking the helmet must have some significance, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't explained in the movie. Something for the extended edition perhaps? Or maybe it will remain a mystery?

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 4:46am

Post #2 of 3 (445 views)
Shortcut
I honestly thought [In reply to] Can't Post

When I saw it in the prologue of AUJ that it would be something that Bilbo would wear in BoT5A. I guess it just ended up being souvenir of sorts.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 5:32am

Post #3 of 3 (383 views)
Shortcut
OUR Bilbo wazz "Very Attached to hizz FIRST ORC kill.." [In reply to] Can't Post

for us?
it is NICE he didn't Display it like a

MooseHEAD over BagENDS mantlepiece?

ORCs Come & Go
BUT

Souvenirs.............. LAST An Age...
CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.