The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Dale's toy market was the wonder of the North

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 9:19pm

Post #1 of 7 (756 views)
Shortcut
Dale's toy market was the wonder of the North Can't Post

Funny how these simpler "childrens" story items in The Hobbit stand as somewhat anachronistic in the greater ME world. Though, that is not to say that such industry would have been unheard of as a trade center, just a little whimsical all the same. Santa Claus probably got his start in the Dale toy shops. ;)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 4:52pm

Post #2 of 7 (564 views)
Shortcut
As a young reader of the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I really wanted some of those toys! Cool

My favorite part was, and remains, the riddle section.

demnation
Rohan

Dec 27 2014, 2:29am

Post #3 of 7 (511 views)
Shortcut
Hmm even as a kid [In reply to] Can't Post

I just interpreted "toy market" as a place where people just bought frivolous things, not just kids toys.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 10:53pm

Post #4 of 7 (504 views)
Shortcut
I always wanted [In reply to] Can't Post

To see a collection of them! I'm sure they were all fantastical and cool. Also dwarves are so great at moving parts and such.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Terazed
Bree

Jan 2 2015, 3:10pm

Post #5 of 7 (457 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves as toy makers [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget that more whimsical picture of dwarves as makers of toys predates all the darker or nobler versions of dwarves later. Even Wagner commented on dwarves as toy makers before Alberich enslaved them:

"The Rhine's bright gold,
seized by Alberich,
was shaped and forged
to a shining ring:
at its magic spell
the Nibelungs tremble;
that ring makes him our master:
we Nibelungs are now his slaves.
Once we were carefree,
worked at our anvils,
forged for our women,
trinkets and jewels,
delicate Nibelung toys;
we merrily hammered away.

But now he compels us
to creep through the mineshafts,
for him alone
we sweat and slave.
And the golden ring
has magical power
to show where treasure
lies hid in the rocks;
and then we must mine it,
forge and refine it
and smelt the ore down
to pure, shining gold;
so day and night
we serve the greed of our lord."

By the way since there was a recent post asking what the 7 dwarf rings did, this could be a bit of a hint from another source that Tolkien was aware of even if he might not (or might) have liked it.

(This post was edited by Terazed on Jan 2 2015, 3:11pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2015, 6:52pm

Post #6 of 7 (450 views)
Shortcut
Terazed!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen you since the COH discussion! It's great to have you back! I hope you can stick around and join us for the LotR discussion.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jan 3 2015, 12:50am

Post #7 of 7 (489 views)
Shortcut
Seems perfectly in keeping. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're describing a town to children, you might use terms of reference that would particularly interest them. Dale was probably famous for lots of other things - perhaps it had a famous spice market or exceptional fabrics, but if you're choosing one notable thing to say about Dale, and you're talking to a bunch of children, it would be natural to mention the toy market rather than more mundane grown-up things. It also emphasises the prosperity of the place - people had time and money to devote to luxuries and non-essentials, like toys for their children. That would be a notable fact to many people from other, less fortunate, parts of Middle Earth - something people would mention - they're so rich in Dale, they have a whole market just for toys! That kind of thing.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.