Merry Christmas!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 25 2014, 1:59pm

Post #26 of 47 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a friend over last night and we had champagne, stuffed mushrooms, fondue and veggies and dip. We exchanged gifts and I got a Hobbit desk calendar. Now I'm waiting for the house to warm up enough to take a shower and then get ready to pick up my parents and have lunch at my house with them.

Tomorrow my granddaughter is flying up from Florida. I can't wait!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 2:08pm

Post #27 of 47 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to you all! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's supposed to snow today, but I hope it holds off until after we get back from my sister's house in a neighboring town. Then we're going to my sister-in-law's house, but she lives nearby.

A real highlight of this Christmas for me was church last night. The minister was luminous as she gave her sermon about how we all take part in the Christmas story; we carry God inside us, and we're as tender and needy as a baby. I can't do it justice, but it made me cry.

The music was great too. There was a quintet made up of two cellos, a violin, a trumpet and a trombone. The string players were all from one family. It made for some rousing carol singing.

I played my harp, but I was nervous following such great musicians and I fumbled the last of three carols I played. Luckily a harp sounds sweet even when it's fumbled.

I hope everyone's day is full of peace and joy. And the coming year as well.

Don't forget to look for Comet Lovejoy this next week. It's supposed to be to the southwest of Sirius, which has always been the Christmas Star for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 3:14pm

Post #28 of 47 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas... [In reply to] Can't Post

and Happy Holiday of your preference.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 4:19pm

Post #29 of 47 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though not everything went according to the plan: the doctors ended up having to do an emergency C-section.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:39pm

Post #30 of 47 (1476 views)
Shortcut
It is Balin's Mace [In reply to] Can't Post

A fine addition to my collection.

Lots of lovely Tolkien related bits this year, very pleased.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2014, 8:31pm

Post #31 of 47 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Congrats to the family! :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2014, 8:33pm

Post #32 of 47 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 9:09pm

Post #33 of 47 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we're all anxiously waiting what the parents will name the little guy.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 11:00pm

Post #34 of 47 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Christmas Day drawing to a close here... [In reply to] Can't Post

hope you have all had a good day, and made some happy memories (even if the babies won't remember them!) Last night my daughter took her two (just 2, and 4) outside to watch the international Space station (aka Santa) pass over. Shortly after, the 2 year old developed a deep and thoughtful frown. 'Santa naughty,' he said glumly. 'Why?' he was asked. 'Miss,' he said. 'Santa naughty'. There followed hasty explanations - Santa was definitely coming, he hadn't missed the house, but he had to go to parts of the world where children were already asleep first, etc! He was not totally convinced, and was very relieved to wake in the morning and discover that Santa had, in fact, been. Bless...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2014, 11:23pm

Post #35 of 47 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Chris, maybe? :P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 11:36pm

Post #36 of 47 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Happy Christmas Day [In reply to] Can't Post

...to all who have some of that day left!

We had breakfast and noshy-lunch and presents and a movie at home (The Lego Movie).

Where once all my gifts were LOTR/Tolkien themed, this year is was all about the birds. lol... I must have really been talking up birding.

I also got North and South on DVD. :-)

and framed wedding photos of the bride and groom and one of me, DH, and son!

All that noshy-lunch stuff is still out:
Huntsman, Chevre, Blue, and Welsh Collier cheese
Smoked salmon (not lox)
crackers and roasted garlic bread
fig jam, ginger and pear jam, and cherry jam (goes well with goat cheese)
and pickles

Plus more Christmas cookies than we'll be able to eat.

I like noshing on holidays more than sit down formal dinners.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 11:51pm

Post #37 of 47 (1452 views)
Shortcut
The ISS is powered by flying reindeer! I knew it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's 2014 and somehow parents and children adapt. My parents had to explain how Santa would get into the house when we didn't have a chimney. He managed. We had the presents in the morning. I'm glad today's parents still have those awkward explanations in hand.
Smile
Visions of sugarplums danced in their heads. I'm sure that hasn't changed.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 12:47am

Post #38 of 47 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night was Christmas Eve and we had my family's traditional Polish dinner - sausage, ham, home-made pierogi and golabki, mushroom soup with tiny mushroom pierogi and rolls. Today we had my husband's family's traditional turkey dinner. Tomorrow, we pack up most of the family (2 oldest daughters have to work) and almost all of the leftovers and head to my godfather's house in Buffalo to celebrate with him. He usually comes to us but he's still recovering from surgery. A day or so there and we head to Ohio to visit my husband's family. Then back home in time for New Year's Eve when older daughters have some more time off.

Right now I am thumbing my nose at the dishes and relaxing with a glass of egg nog with some extra nog. Smile

From my family to all the TORn family, here's to a lovely holiday season and a happy new year.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 1:15am

Post #39 of 47 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we're lucky to be living in an age where that's a viable option. I hope all is well with mother and child.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 10:15am

Post #40 of 47 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be appropriate, wouldn't it? Laugh

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 10:18am

Post #41 of 47 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Fortunately, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

They are both doing great. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 2:34pm

Post #42 of 47 (1435 views)
Shortcut
They went with... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Markus (Estonian equivalent of Mark) instead. Still, a biblical name.

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 26 2014, 5:13pm

Post #43 of 47 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

B.G and I trekked over to my brother's house for early dinner and games with family. Late in the afternoon it started to snow, so when we left later in the evening we walked out to a glorious white Christmas! After the whole family helped us brush snow off the car (and a few small, friendly snowballs thrown), it was so lovely on the drive home looking at all the Christmas lights in the snow. Perfect.

Merry Christmas!!!! HeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 10:24pm

Post #44 of 47 (1426 views)
Shortcut
A (belated) Merry Christmas to all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been going all over since noon on the 24th, so I'm just now getting a chance to pop in.

I spent Christmas eve at my grandmother's (enjoyed prime rib and other goodies), and relaxed during the day at home. We watched FOTR (not a tradition, btw) and went to another gathering last night.

Funny how some years it seems like everyone looks noticeably older since the last time you've seen them. That has been my experience this year. Even the youngest ones seem remarkably bigger than I remember.

Wishing everyone a safe and relaxing end-of-the-year/continuation of the holidays!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 4:51am

Post #45 of 47 (1418 views)
Shortcut
The lunch started at 4 and went until 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

It was very good indeed!

Kim
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 8:01pm

Post #46 of 47 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Whoa [In reply to] Can't Post

Our brunch started at 11 and went til 4. Is this one of those topsy-turvy opposite sides of the world things? Spooky. Shocked

#OneLastTime

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 3:43pm

Post #47 of 47 (1401 views)
Shortcut
A very Belated Merry Christmas :) [In reply to] Can't Post

HAPPY HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all my sibbies!! *flying tackle hug* Bless us, everyone! :D

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.