The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A slight shake of the head

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 5:33pm

Post #1 of 14 (1278 views)
Shortcut
A slight shake of the head Can't Post

During Fili's death scene he and Thorin exchange a look and Thorin gives a slight shake of his head. Some have suggested this is Thorin telling Fili to "be brave". While I think this is a good analysis of this moment, I have a different take on it. Right before Thorin shakes his head, Fili tells them to "Go!" I think Thorin knows Fili is as brave as he can be in this moment, and the shake of the head is Thorin saying "No, I'm not going to walk away. I'm not going to leave to face this fate on your own." If this is the case, you could say Thorin is making up for what happened in Lake-town. (Whether he knows it or not). He left one nephew behind and he was not about do it again.

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 6:00pm

Post #2 of 14 (672 views)
Shortcut
Make me cry... [In reply to] Can't Post

...why don't you...

I also took that little head shake to mean that Thorin is not going to run away. Maybe it's a mix of both that and him telling Fili to be brave. There is so much communication in that short little moment. It's all in the eyes... I have to watch it again, on DVD most likely, to really make up my mind. It's quite an amazing scene, really. Not sure if I can watch it emotionlessly enough to analyse it objectively.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 6:31pm

Post #3 of 14 (583 views)
Shortcut
I like both of these interpretations [In reply to] Can't Post

although when I saw it, I interpreted it as a denial that Fili was in the hands of the enemy and about to be killed. Perhaps it's all of them at once?

#OneLastTime

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 6:32pm

Post #4 of 14 (611 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

but yes, for such a brief scene there is quite a bit happening. (The "I belong with my brother" scene in DOS is another example of this). Another moment that grabs me is the look on Thorin's face when he first sees Azog has Fili. It's not the look of a leader/ king seeing one of his men in peril. It's the look of an uncle - a father - seeing his child in the hands of a monster. It's so brief, but it's there. Okay, I'm going to stop before I'm a so big mess.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 6:37pm

Post #5 of 14 (567 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense too [In reply to] Can't Post

I would guess at some point during the whole ordeal Thorin's got to be thinking to himself, "How did this happen?" "I should've never brought Fili and Kili here." "Why didn't I kill that foul beast when I had the chance?"

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 6:43pm

Post #6 of 14 (579 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly it [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin isn't a king or a leader at that moment. He is an uncle, who sees his nephew in the hands of his archenemy, and he knows exactly how it will end. He is completely powerless to stop it happening. All he can do is watch because it would be even worse to turn away, both for Fili, who would die alone then, and for Thorin, who would feel like a coward. And that is all conveyed in a split-second look...

OK, I better stop here now and go back to cooking my boeuf bourgignon... Fili's death still isn't something I can contemplate without getting emotional...Unsure

Kim
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 6:54pm

Post #7 of 14 (551 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, there's a lot running through his mind [In reply to] Can't Post

and only a short while ago he'd been welcoming his sister's sons to the reclaimed kingdom of Erebor. Unsure

#OneLastTime

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 10:02pm

Post #8 of 14 (464 views)
Shortcut
I took it [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Fili says "go"! that Thorin was shaking his head to say "no". He's not going to retreat and he's going to stand with Fili in that moment.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 10:37pm

Post #9 of 14 (467 views)
Shortcut
A multi-layered "no" [In reply to] Can't Post

No, we are not leaving.

No, I can't believe this is happening to you.

No, I won't let it happen to Kili if I can possibly save him.

It's an eloquent shake.

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 11:34pm

Post #10 of 14 (445 views)
Shortcut
oh gosh [In reply to] Can't Post

beautifully said!

I'll go reach for the hankies now.... Frown

Though like others above me, I agree that it was a very complex shake- "No, I'm not running. Be brave- I love you, and I'm not gonna let you face this alone."

Though Dwalin's being unable to watch is very poignant too- undoubtedly he was like an uncle to them as well, even if he was actually their cousin (he certainly gives that impression when they arrive at Bag End). You can tell that it truly horrified him to have to witness it.

Maybe when I'm not stuck in a crowded theater sitting between two men I don't know in the slightest, I will sob harder at this scene, but even though I've seen it twice, it's only misting because it's so shocking and there's so much adrenaline coursing through me at that point (I don't do well in crowds, but I am willing to overcome that for the sake of these films).

But once it's home on DVD, I guarantee you I will bawl at that scene! At least by the time Bilbo tries to show Thorin the eagles the adrenaline's worn off, and both times I ended up with tears streaming down my face for all three of those lost Unsure

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 7:17am

Post #11 of 14 (372 views)
Shortcut
Was starting to cry as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

mais heureusement l'allusion au boeurf bourguignon m'a sauvee!!!
Et m'a fait vous identifier comme: FRANCAIS(E)!!! AngelicCool
Juste un petit coucou en passant, comme ca,,, De temps en temps ca fait du bien dans cette ambiance plutot americaine, ou disons anglo-saxonne! Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 9:50am

Post #12 of 14 (342 views)
Shortcut
En fait... [In reply to] Can't Post

...je suis Allemande mais mariee a un Francais. Desole pour les accents...Unsure
Unfortunately, my French is less than perfect, especially when writing, but I do know about French cuisine by nowTongue

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Dec 25 2014, 10:04pm

Post #13 of 14 (308 views)
Shortcut
Replying late [In reply to] Can't Post

because I spent my morning cooking lasagne...
but yes a multilayered no. Especially no, I won't go, I won't leave you there.
I know that PJ and co will justify Fili's lack of mourners in the TE, by saying that he's mourned by family and Bilbo assisting and staying with him during his execution. Just a few glimpses but so meaningful, so poignant.
I know but they should not have left him like that, sorry, but not sorry.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 2:11am

Post #14 of 14 (274 views)
Shortcut
Don't be sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know that PJ and co will justify Fili's lack of mourners in the TE, by saying that he's mourned by family and Bilbo assisting and staying with him during his execution. Just a few glimpses but so meaningful, so poignant.
I know but they should not have left him like that, sorry, but not sorry.

In Reply To

While his death was not as it was in the book, there many aspects of it that I liked and I'm willing to forgive those changes. However, the one thing I cannot forgive is how they left him there. It made it feel as if they - Peter and co. - were simply trying to get him out of the way. That may not have been their intent, but it felt that way.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.