Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Realistic chances for more middle earth films?

frodolives
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 4:39pm

Post #1 of 13 (3202 views)
Shortcut
Realistic chances for more middle earth films? Can't Post

We keep hearing people mention The Silmarillion is being the next possible middle earth 'franchise,' but I don't think it will happen due to Tolkien Enterprises holding on to that property like grim death.

So, what other chances are there? If I'm not mistaken, there rights to original stories set in middle earth are still on the table, using the appendices as a guide. For example, you could have the rumored 'bridge film' between the Hobbit and LOTR that details Aragorn's hunt for Gollum, perhaps some stuff in and around Angmar, and so on. You could theoretically have a fourth age series and so on.

What are your thoughts? What would you want to see and what do you think is possible? Would you want PJ involved?

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 4:48pm

Post #2 of 13 (2831 views)
Shortcut
At this point, the most realistic opportunities... [In reply to] Can't Post

... lie in Peter and Co. supplementing their existing films with stories based off on whatever they haven't already used from the LotR Appendices coupled with original story ideas based entirely on the films they've already completed, with the most logical 'vehicle' for that kind of 'supplemental storytelling' being a resurrection of the 'bridge film' concept that had been originally part of the plans for the Hobbit project.

A 'pseudo-sequel' War of the North story might also be a possible avenue for 'supplemental storytelling'.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 13 (2729 views)
Shortcut
yes and The Last Alliance... [In reply to] Can't Post

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Dec 24 2014, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 13 (2728 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see a War in the North movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I fell in love with Lee Pace as Thranduil. He's very good as the Elvenking, and I would heartily welcome the chance to see Lee Pace as a lead in a movie because he is such a good (and IMO underrated) actor! Not to mention that I would love to see Thranduil actually leading his army against Sauron's forces, as I feel like we did not get to see much of his battle skills in BOTFA and he is supposed to be a superb fighter. I do not know if War in the North is mentioned in any other Tolkien writings outside of the LOTR appendices (it's one paragraph but would be an awesome premise for a movie with Mirkwood Elves), so can anyone tell me how the likelihood of a War in the North movie would be affected by the Tolkien Estate/copyright law?

I also think they could make a movie about Legolas teaming up with Aragorn , as BOTFA left that door open. I even thought of this while watching the movie on Saturday, so that would be one of the more obvious stories to pursue next.

Finally (and this is more of a fanfiction wish than anything else and probably not very likely to happen), but I would love to see a movie about Thorin and the Erebor Dwarves in exile. But this is probably because I think it would be cool to see Dis (she's mentioned in two of the three movies) and meet Frerin (not mentioned in the hobbit trilogy but Thorin did have a younger brother), plus scenes with kid!Fili and kid!Kili would be cute.
Heart

Elentari03
Rivendell

Dec 24 2014, 5:37pm

Post #5 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut
See discussion here (next page over): [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=812713;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=127418573

(This post was edited by Elentari03 on Dec 24 2014, 5:37pm)

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 5:55pm

Post #6 of 13 (2707 views)
Shortcut
A "war in the north" film does actually seem to have quite a bit to work with.. [In reply to] Can't Post

After the Hobbit films I would say that whilst the script would obviously have to be almost entirely original there is actually a lot that a film based on the war with Angmar could work with.

Thranduil is the most obvious and I agree a seeing more of Lee Pace's performance would potentially be very interesting, especially as I think the character hasn't played out emotionally fully onscreen yet, lots of dramtic potential with the death of his wife built into the story . Then you have Angmar and the Witch King/Nazgul who are already well know villians and could potentially exist in a rather different form pre defeat/death and entombment, perhaps more "human". The other imortal elven characters and the wizards could of course feature plus you potentially have the Northern Kingdom and one of Aragorns ancestors, heck you could potentially even include Hobbit characters and not go entirely against Tolkien with his hints that they sent some archers to the war,

A quality script would of course be needed to get close to films based more directly on Tolkien but the script writer would have very fertile ground to work with.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 24 2014, 5:56pm)

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 25 2014, 2:28am

Post #7 of 13 (2552 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope they do it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After the Hobbit films I would say that whilst the script would obviously have to be almost entirely original there is actually a lot that a film based on the war with Angmar could work with.

Thranduil is the most obvious and I agree a seeing more of Lee Pace's performance would potentially be very interesting, especially as I think the character hasn't played out emotionally fully onscreen yet, lots of dramtic potential with the death of his wife built into the story . Then you have Angmar and the Witch King/Nazgul who are already well know villians and could potentially exist in a rather different form pre defeat/death and entombment, perhaps more "human". The other imortal elven characters and the wizards could of course feature plus you potentially have the Northern Kingdom and one of Aragorns ancestors, heck you could potentially even include Hobbit characters and not go entirely against Tolkien with his hints that they sent some archers to the war,

A quality script would of course be needed to get close to films based more directly on Tolkien but the script writer would have very fertile ground to work with.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 25 2014, 5:21am

Post #8 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut
I've said this elsewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but a War in the North story would need a framing device setup that didn't mess up the narrative flow of the existing TLotR Trilogy, and while I acknowledge that a War in the North story is a possible avenue of storytelling, I'm having a hard time envisioning an organic way of creating a framing device that would let the story be watched as a sequel of sorts to TLotR.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 2:42pm

Post #9 of 13 (2545 views)
Shortcut
Realistically... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are only two, strong possibilities:

1. Remakes of The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings. It is a bit early still to contemplate this.

2. Original movies based on the Appendices and other background material. The War of the North has been mentioned, The earlier exploits of Aragorn would be fair game. There are a few other possibilities, but much of the material is very sketchy and only expanded upon in The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin and others of Tolkien's later works.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

dwarvenboot

Dec 28 2014, 5:47am

Post #10 of 13 (2439 views)
Shortcut
100% chance [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no doubt you will see more middle-earth based movies, it's just a question of what parts of the silmarillion to select. The Tolkien estate stands to make a lot of money. Imagine a movie with Dragons, Balrogs and Morgoth in it. Heart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 1:46pm

Post #11 of 13 (2423 views)
Shortcut
No 'Silmarillion' movies for the time being. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There is no doubt you will see more middle-earth based movies, it's just a question of what parts of the silmarillion to select. The Tolkien estate stands to make a lot of money. Imagine a movie with Dragons, Balrogs and Morgoth in it. Heart

Well, the Tolkien Estate retains the filmrights to The Silmarillion, so we can't expect any films based on that in the immediate future. Possibly not until the book becomes public domain.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 7:14am

Post #12 of 13 (2389 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien Estate will not do it for the money. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the money goes into a non-profit Foundation already. The family has a fortune now, and has strong feelings opposing further movie rights.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 29 2014, 5:04pm

Post #13 of 13 (2414 views)
Shortcut
Not every Tolkien is opposed to adaptations being made [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Simon (who sits on the Tolkien Estate 'controlling board') and Royd are* very open to adaptations being made, and would most likely license further properties for adaptation were It within their power to do so.

* I don't know if Simon has changed his opinions since reconciling with his father Christopher over their differing views on adaptations in general and the Jackson films in particular, but he was at one point open-minded concerning adaptations of his grandfather's works

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.