Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Could the BotFA EE be rated R? Anyone know the source of this quote?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Dec 25 2014, 3:55am

Post #26 of 33 (511 views)
Shortcut
This is one of my biggest hopes for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

That it will turn out Jackson had Legolas kill Bolg in the theatrical cut partly to satisfy the part of the audience that wanted a Legolas vs. Bolg showdown and partly as a more "kid-friendly" alternative to a very violent scene in which Beorn does the deed. And that this Beorn vs. Bolg scene will be reinstated in the EE, the "fan version" so to speak.

I'm not taking this for granted mind, but I won't give up hope until we know for sure. Blush

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:00am

Post #27 of 33 (497 views)
Shortcut
there's just no way [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ would spend a bunch of money on cgi for the Legolas versus Bolg fight just for the TE. He changed it to have more Legolas, simple as that. As for Beorn we can only hope there is more Beorn in the EE, he is suppose to change the tide of war.

The flames of war are upon you..

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 25 2014, 5:06am

Post #28 of 33 (499 views)
Shortcut
As cool as fans/general audiences think Beorn is... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... he really is a minor supporting character in the films. He's a key minor supporting character, but a minor supporting character nonetheless.

There's therefore little to no chance of Peter replacing the fight between Legolas and Bolg - both of whom are major supporting characters - with a sequence that allows the very minor Beorn to kill the very major Bolg.

(This post was edited by DigificWriter on Dec 25 2014, 5:12am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:35am

Post #29 of 33 (488 views)
Shortcut
LOL!...Oh my, is that true??? I never really looked...! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you anyway for the good laugh! Never thought a 'head count' could be so hilarious!!!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:46am

Post #30 of 33 (515 views)
Shortcut
Remember PJ's humor, though... [In reply to] Can't Post

and in DOS the orc who somehow sprang up from a boat down below, just high enough to briefly reach the level where Legolas stood... and to get decapitated!!! Or Gandalf in Goblin Town with that one orc in front of him who lost his head the next moment!!!
I too hate violence, but this was plain funny, even for me.
Nothing comparable to Thranduil beheading the captured Orc when news of Sauron returning got too much for him to listen further to.
So we may get both styles in the EE too!...

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Dec 25 2014, 5:47am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:49am

Post #31 of 33 (480 views)
Shortcut
Right... I suspect that too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

glor
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 11:59pm

Post #32 of 33 (424 views)
Shortcut
He would spend and got a bunch of money [In reply to] Can't Post

to film the Bolg V Legolas if the suits or PJ realised that the Beorn cutting through the orcs on the battlefield segment would have resulted in an R rating.

In Dos, they got Sir Antony Sher to come all the way over to New Zealand to edit him out of the TE. PJ works by filming as much as possible and then deciding what to put it and what to omit from the cinema release, that is why we have the EEs in the first place because so much is shot.

I think it's possible that it was simply a case of lets get more Legolas in but, I would dispute your notion that money would be an obstacle for a reshoot especially, if that reshoot or redrafting of a scene was to secure the rating the film company wants to ensure the big box office receipts.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 12:53am

Post #33 of 33 (433 views)
Shortcut
Well, all that editing! Part of it could relate to the splatter on Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

We see him getting thrown from Bubba (RIP!), and next we get a close-up he's already got orc blood prettily patterned on his face. Yes, Thranduil diced and sliced, but didn't look like anything that would leave so much evidence on him? My $0.02Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXIX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.