Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Which character was the furthest from what you imagined?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 3:39pm

Post #26 of 37 (504 views)
Shortcut
Furthest, definately Thorin, Fili & Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

I still kinda cringe when I see them. They're practically the opposite of their book descriptions and I'm not an Armitage fan (sorry) he could've been a good Bard.

Closest is Gandalf. Thranduil is very good also. Gloin is better than I could have imagined. He's my favourite design. Smaug also surpasses my own imagination.

Balin and Bilbo are the best casting choices. Smile

architecthis
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 4:03pm

Post #27 of 37 (453 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin was a major miscast. I also find Fili, Kili and Bofur completely unbelievable as dwarves.

Radagast was a total letdown/misfire. Beorn I like but he was nothing like the book.

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 4:17pm

Post #28 of 37 (446 views)
Shortcut
If there is one thing that PJ and co. [In reply to] Can't Post

don't do, it i miscast. I do not think there is a better casting team in the world.

Could not disagree with you more.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 4:20pm

Post #29 of 37 (448 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on All counts [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly don't get the hype for Armitage, I always (and still do) picture Ian Mcshane as Thorin, these two images do a pretty good job at illustrating the Thorin we could have had:
http://turnermohan.deviantart.com/...akenshield-267011400

Martin Freeman is perhaps a little younger and 'twitchier' than the Bilbo I pictured, but perfect in the time he gets to shine, Bard is nothing like I pictured but Evans is very good, Lee Pace and Ken Sott are more or less exactly as I pictured and give very good performances.

The worst is Radagast waht was Jackson thinking...

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 4:54pm

Post #30 of 37 (407 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

I always pictured him looking more like the Games Workshop model than the films' designs of the character. Not that I didn't like PJ's interpretation!

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 7:35pm

Post #31 of 37 (383 views)
Shortcut
Before the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

When I read the book in 2002 one of the things I had the most difficult thing picturing was the characters because of the lack of depth and descriptions of them. I think I basically pictured them all like Gimli's with different hair colors Laugh So I'm generally happy with getting a picture of them given to me through the movies.

Beorn looks terrible in the movies. Completely different. Thorin I did picture older obviously, but I like how it ended up anyway and how he was potrayed. Bilbo is perfect. I did picture young Bilbo as someone reminding me of Pippin and voila!

The hot dwarves in general yeah i guess, but personally I think Fili works very well. He's got blond hair like described and he's got more facial hair + mustache. I think he does look like a young dwarf whereas Kili look like a small human. Sly

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 7:38pm

Post #32 of 37 (379 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always pictured the Great Goblin like this - http://25.media.tumblr.com/...tSk1qmxaa8o1_500.jpg

His buffoonish song-and-dance routines didn't help much either.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Dec 24 2014, 7:40pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 12:11am

Post #33 of 37 (329 views)
Shortcut
he did speak [In reply to] Can't Post

He said, "Untie me mister!" in the troll scene (he's credited with it in the subtitles, and his accent and voice didn't match any of the others, which confirmed it for me Wink

And Bifur's axe is gone when they say goodbye to Bilbo after the battle-maybe an EE shot in the works there? Wink

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 12:20am

Post #34 of 37 (353 views)
Shortcut
but that Thorin pic contradicts Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves don't begin to visibly age until about 240, then they go from 40-80 (human) in appearance within the span of a mere 10 years. Balin looking old to Bilbo was an exception.

Therefore, Thorin wouldn't have looked much different than his (human) 40 year old self until he reached 240 at least, then he would have begun to look old and get white hair, etc. And he's only 195 or so at the time of the Quest.

So his appearance didn't bother me- he's a little gray, and he definitely has experience and memory on his face, but he doesn't look "old", and he's not supposed to- not yet. He looks as a dwarf his age should- about in his 40's or so.

The idea that Thorin should be old, white, and wrinkled is just weird to me, IMHO, because he shouldn't look that old yet. He shouldn't look young, but not old either, especially as he's a direct descendant of Durin the Deathless, and because his cousin Dwalin (also a descendant of Durin, though not as direct, and Thorin's cousin) lived to 340 years old, well beyond the average lifespan of a dwarf. And Dain, also his cousin, was still fighting and swinging his great axe at 252, something Gandalf marveled at when he heard of his death.

I did imagine him with a long beard, but RA's idea that he trimmed it out of respect for Thror and Thrain's singed beards after Smaug took the mountain is so poignant that I forgave that detail.

Agreed about Radagast- the bird poop and addled brain was too OTT for me Crazy

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Dec 25 2014, 12:21am)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 25 2014, 1:45am

Post #35 of 37 (316 views)
Shortcut
Granted... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Jackson chose to keep the Goblin-town residents as 'Goblins' rather than convert them to Orcs (i.e. a smaller, less intimidating relative of Orcs, so to speak).

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:07am

Post #36 of 37 (312 views)
Shortcut
ALL THE DWARVES!!! And I'm so glad about that... [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ had kept the Dwarves the way they are described in the book, physically and even psychologically, I would never have been here discussing all this now with you all, for I wouldn't have been interested at all in those films!!! Such Dwarves, except that they were thirteen instead of seven, were much too evocative of the Snow-White dwarfs, and not inspiring at all for me as the main heroes besides Bilbo.
They have been re-invented and re-designed, more in accordance with the real Dwarves I had imagined from The Sil and Lord of the Rings long before I read The Hobbit, which disappointed me a lot, the wonderful writing style of Tolkien being the only saving grace and irresistible attractiveness that made me read it till the end nevertheless.
It is when the first trailer came out, and I saw those much more interesting Dwarves, and particularly their chief, Thorin Oakenshield, and I heard him sing, that I went 'WOW!!!" and became an instant fan of these Hobbiit movies.
In the same way I have been delighted also by all the other casting choices, but it is the way the Dwarves have been cast that has for me be the determining central factor that made the story believable, to start with, and on top of it appealing for the avid reader I was of Tolkien's bigger Tales of M-earth.
What a relief later on to see that the entire story had been enlarged so as to include all that Tolkien had only mentioned in passing in the little bedtime version of this story that he had told his kids!... Only that larger version given by PJ held any real interest for me, for it showed the real dimension and importance of Bilbo's adventure for the whole of M-earth.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 2:03pm

Post #37 of 37 (280 views)
Shortcut
"Goblin" really is just another name for "Orc", as far as I'm aware... [In reply to] Can't Post

Similar to how the Naugrim/Khazad are also called Dwarves, or the Eldar/Avari are also called Elves.

PJ decided to differentiate between Goblins and Orcs, which is not something I have a problem with and makes some sense since you would think that there would be different sub-types within the Orc "race".

I just didn't much like the design of the Goblins in AUJ. They were too computer-y, and too Disney-ish. But that kind of goes for most of the Orcs in this Hobbit trilogy.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.