The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Today's experience at the cinema

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 7:20pm

Post #1 of 8 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Today's experience at the cinema Can't Post

Saw it for the third time (12 noon showing), like last time in IMAX 3D (48 HFR not available at my preferred time).

There were about 60 people in the cinema, which considering that it is a working day in London and it is so near Christmas is quite amazing. There was even an elderly lady in a wheelchair who came with her dog – a funny-looking mastiff-type creature that appeared to be very friendly.

About half of the audience stayed for the credits.

I noticed even more things in the film, including the sound (horns and bells); focusing on the music, I actually like it very much. It is not as 'in your face' as the LotR music, but suits the scenes incredibly well.

Planning to go again next Monday (or Sunday), this time to see it in 48 HFR again.HeartSmile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 22 2014, 7:27pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 7:40pm

Post #2 of 8 (463 views)
Shortcut
Almost everyone stayed through the credits in my viewing too... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's as if they were wating for Nick Fury to turn up at the end. People just love looking at those sketches. Beautiful.

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 8 (486 views)
Shortcut
Ironfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

When I saw it yesterday again I finally localized the Ironfoot song (i've been very much after that song because I think it's the best one maybe in all the three movies) - part of it plays once the orc armies arrive and Thranduil gallops on his elk around the field. Like you said the music is not as obvious as in LotR and in this situation I found that terribly sad because it would have been gorgeous if it was easier to hear Unsure

I also noticed for the first time the light playing music at Ravenhill before the first kill - anyone know what part of the soundtrack that is?

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 8:54pm

Post #4 of 8 (390 views)
Shortcut
My first experience with HFR... [In reply to] Can't Post

As I stated a couple days ago, yesterday was my first time seeing HFR. I saw it in 2D last week as my first viewing, because I didn't want the HFR or 3D to mess with my initial reaction of the film. So yesterday, a couple of friends and I traveled about 3 hours to the closest theater that was showing HFR. Also, this theater has a true IMAX screen. Not one of those fake ones, this screen was massive. I've been to a few IMAX showings before, but never to a screen this size.

But back to my experience with HFR, I freaking loved it. Man, I wish I had an HFR theater closer, because I'd love to see it again. It took me about 1-2 minutes to get used to it, but after that I didn't even notice it. I was completely immersed in the film. I noticed one of the people rowing a boat during the Laketown sequence, and it looked really weird and looked like he was moving about 200 MPH, but after that I was used to it. HFR did exactly what it was supposed to, for me: make the film more immersive. The sound was amazing, the picture clarity was fantastic, and the frame rate didn't bother me in the slightest. I was worried I would hate it, but I actually loved it. And I wish I could see it again in HFR. The guys I went with loved it too. They couldn't understand why other people said they hated it.

There was a full crowd at my showing, but I honestly didn't even notice them. I don't know if people laughed, or cheered, or anything. I was so immersed I didn't notice a thing. At the end, there was some applause for the film. I didn't stay for the full credits this time, so I'm not sure if many stayed, but quite a few people left while we were leaving too. My eyes felt a little strained after the film, but that usually happens to me when I see a film in 3D, so I don't think that had anything to do with the HFR. But, yeah... I would recommend everyone see HFR. You may not love it, but it's worth seeing. I absolutely loved it and I'm sad that I won't be able to see it again in this format.

Off topic side note... I finally got to see the Force Awakens trailer in IMAX 3D and it rocked.

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 9:13pm

Post #5 of 8 (364 views)
Shortcut
3rd viewing for me too today, 3D this time [In reply to] Can't Post

Very surprised that I liked the 3D so much! Even without HFR. Very clear, sharp, bright, not too dark like other 3D movies I've been to. I noticed so much more of the 'world' - the costumes, colors, the woodwork in Laketown, the texture of the stone walls in Dale and Erebor, the architecture, doorways, arches, stairways - there were so many stairways Laugh!

Also even the character's faces were sharper and clearer. The better to see all the beautiful men, women and Elves Heart.

I noticed more of the soundtrack too, lovely pieces I missed the first two times. What is playing during the scenes where the battle is going badly, when things are starting to look very desperate? It's a piece that's in the LOTR trilogy but I can't place it.

Absolutely love Dol Guldur. I wish it went on longer! That's going to be something I hit replay on a lot when I get the DVD.

Also was able to get more of a sense of what was happening in the battle in the 3D version - how Azog was directing the attacks and communicating with the Orcs on the ground, and I had a much better idea of where each of the armies were in relation to each other.

And... I cried a lot more. I need to not watch it for a while now Unsure. From the point at which Thorin breaks off from the battle with Fili, Kili and Dwalin, I felt a sadness where I almost felt I could not watch it again. This film is starting to feel the most like ROTK, where I have to prepare myself to watch ROTK because it is such an emotionally draining experience. Even after I left the theater today and was on my way home, I was still very subdued and sad. So yes, three times is enough, for now.

Very glad I saw the 3D version and I'd recommend it. I haven't liked 3D much, but they did a great job of it with BOFA Smile.

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 10:00pm

Post #6 of 8 (314 views)
Shortcut
mhm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

And... I cried a lot more. I need to not watch it for a while now Unsure. From the point at which Thorin breaks off from the battle with Fili, Kili and Dwalin, I felt a sadness where I almost felt I could not watch it again. This film is starting to feel the most like ROTK, where I have to prepare myself to watch ROTK because it is such an emotionally draining experience. Even after I left the theater today and was on my way home, I was still very subdued and sad. So yes, three times is enough, for now.

I have had that feeling too. That I want to see the movie again, but seriously wondered if I should because it gets sooo heavy and sad to deal with at that certain point I have never reacted like that to a movie before. It just ugh. It *feels* heavy you know?

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 10:35pm

Post #7 of 8 (278 views)
Shortcut
Yep, exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have had that feeling too. That I want to see the movie again, but seriously wondered if I should because it gets sooo heavy and sad to deal with at that certain point I have never reacted like that to a movie before. It just ugh. It *feels* heavy you know?

That heavy feeling, that sadness. I think too because there's that moment when Thorin overcomes the dragon sickness, and they charge out and the tide of the battle seems to be turning, where Dain refers to him as the King and even Gandalf seems hopeful. And then they head off to confront Azog, and you just know, all that doesn't matter, from here it ends so tragically for them, and it's just so sad Unsure.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 2:22am

Post #8 of 8 (241 views)
Shortcut
TODAY? Bomby saw it TWICE for Free? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rain Check, from the Marathon last Monday (projector problems)

SSoo..here goes..
Monday's was Overwhelming & Like our Great TORn Friend..Mr.Arkenstone
Drained bomby to the Point of Tears, throughout
the Third Film. bom wzz SSOoo messed up
Couldn't find my
Car for about 20 minutes,After.

BUT waited to read much over the Past week from
YouzzGroveyGuys&Gals...
today?
TOOK notes..

1PM: "XTREME" 3DHD48HFR
(CinemaMark Trademark, according the ticket clerk)..

Strangely the "Film-maker side" of bom TOOK over.
because bom Wanted to report Geeky observationz.
(Notes Follow)

Did not cry a bit,
.. was TOO Riveted to the Cinematography, &
Editing..to think
Emotionally.

Quietly wandered into another showing
& only missed about 1 minute...
(PREVIEWS had just ended)
...WATCHED from the Back Row this time.

REALLY could understand where
the Logistics of the BATTLE were...
from that High in the Theater Vantage point..

Absolutely Lost it during the 3 Deaths,,,
In particular? when the others
Knell DOWN around Thorin (except for Dwalin & Gloin),

But.. the Tableau surrounding him was Choreographed SSOoo. Wonderfully @ the Edge of the Frozen WaterFall.

Slightly recovered until
Balin says.."You can thank them, Yourself"

Turns AROUND! The OTHER surviving 9 did their Little (AT your Service) Bows & old "Softie" Dori had Tears...
Bilbo Flummoxed, "..Invites to them Tea @ 4pm anytime. Don't bother to knock?"
Came Full Circle from from How they just
Barged in & TOOK over
BagEnd @ the
Beginning.

Geeky Notes:
RA Narrated a 100% NZ travel Invitation..before viewing (Perfect Spot to get into a NZ Headspace.for Audiences WorldWIDE)

PJ has stated how he always liked how "James Bond movies" have little Movie before the Title Card...
SSOoo he held Back the Title Card until the Entire Laketown/Smaug Death ended.
Amazing!

3D moments? Bard's Arrows shot all the Way pass our Eyes each time..

Orlando Bloom"s mother makes a Cameo really early, Freaked? (Remembered her from a Production Diary)..
She is Wearing a Little Bonnet.

Yes, Katie Jackson has now been in all three of these.

Tauriel's ESCAPE Boat Rammed into the Master's Huge
Money Barge,which SPILLED much of His LOOT
(A Nice Revenge moment.)

Braga, his Head Enforcer, is also trying escape.

On Shore? The Actress (forgot her Name) says "All our Money is Headed down "The Anduin."
(well? us BOOKIE's know it's The River Running that leads to the Sea of Rhun.)

Alfrid serves many Purposes
(any Hero needs a Foil to play off of)
SSOoo..it it he, who Proclaims him "King Bard" which is from the Book.

SAME Lady puts him down many times in Dale,
Even Rallies the Ladies to Fight (LOVE her for That)

Yes, Definitely Billy Jackson fights next to Bard, kills @Least one Orc.

Other Book Dialogue:
"He doesn't sleep & Barely Eats" Sam say that about Frodo LOTR. (Any others you heard, would be appreciated)

The Mash-up of Applying Smaug's Voice & Thorin's voice-together
was GREAT Work for the 'Sound Engineers".

As Well as the Internal Quote's from other people
Mixed up? inside INSANE Thorin's Head
as he is consumed...
until being sucked down
into a Whirlpool of the Sinking Gold floor
may be?.. a Sequence Film Student's will Study
for a Long time.

bom is Too tired to write any more..
But feel FREE to add You writngs here...

YOU are NEXT UP?

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.