The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sting

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 5:48pm

Post #1 of 5 (545 views)
Shortcut
Sting Can't Post

I just noticed something I think nobody came up with yet: When does Sting get it's engraving?

I was expecting this to happen on Bilbos return journey in Rivendell but since there's no Rivendell in the TE of BOTFA it didn't happen (yet). I still hope for a short scene in Rivendell in the EE... perhaps even only the engraving. This would also bring another conclusion to BOTFA (the lack of conclusions is my main complain about the BOTFA TE)
:

AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
Gandalf finds Sting and gives it to Bilbo in the Trollshaws. Telling him how important sparing a life can be
Balins "
Swords are named for the great deeds they do in war" scene in Rivendell
Bilbo sparing Gollums life

THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
"It stings!". The naming of Sting in Mirkwood

THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES
The engraving of Sting in Rivendell.

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
"This is my sword Sting. It glows blue when Orcs are nearby". Bilbo giving Sting to Frodo in Rivendell.
Gandalf and Frodo talking about the importance of Bilbo sparing Gollums life

THE TWO TOWERS
"This is Sting. You've seen it before... haven't you? Gollum!" scene in Emyn Muil.
Frodo using Sting and sparing Gollums life

THE RETURN OF THE KING
Frodo and Sam using Sting against Shelob and her webs in Cirith Ungol
Gollum destroying the Ring thanks to Bilbos (and Frodos) pity

The last time we see Sting unengraved is at the Battle of the Five Armies and the first time we see it again is in FOTR when Bilbo gives it to Frodo. There it is engraved. I wouldn't call this a plothole since we don't know if the engraving takes place when Old Bilbo returns to Rivendell during FOTR. He takes Sting with him on his journey and when we see it in Old Bilbos box at the beginning of the prologue it is in it's sheath. It might be a classical EE scene. Not necessary for the general audience but a nice fan service. I'd like to see it's engraving in the EE of BOTFA. Perhaps even Elrond handing it to Bilbo as he gave Anduril to Aragorn, Orcrist to Thorin and Glamdring to Gandalf. What do you think?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 5 (322 views)
Shortcut
In Rivendell on the way home // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 5 (306 views)
Shortcut
IF this were to be in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that it would be in the TE. I really doubt it, but if anything it would be in the EE..a totally unnecessary scene to the overall plot.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 6:37pm

Post #4 of 5 (283 views)
Shortcut
As I said... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a typical EE scene. Not necessary for the main plot but still a nice scene and would give us another great Bilbo moment. Perhaps even being named "Elf-friend" by Elrond. Especially because it was set up as I tried to point out in my post ;-)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 8:31pm

Post #5 of 5 (234 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.